Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

701 - 718 of 718 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^^^^
It's a major mess up though... Should have been cought in testing....

Cameron

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
It is actually mentioned in the links in the FAQ I provided in post 698. From the Wiki Link:

WARNING: If HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT is set to anything other than 480i, and you are watching HD material, you will NOT be able to see the on-screen menus on the RF, composite, or S-Video outputs.
It was also mentioned in the CJH links, which have gone dead, unfortunately.

It's not really a mess since you should be set for 480i if using an SDTV and you should be set to HD (1080i or 720P) on an HDTV and using HD connections. In a way it's actually good that it doesn't work properly if you're not connected properly to an HDTV.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Will have to experiment with the Pace HD box (non-recording) and see what it does. Not sure how it behaves with multiple outputs connected simultaneously.

Cameron

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, it's been another year and a half since I last reported in regarding this issue:

* Intermittent blank-screen dropouts when using HDMI
...and it has become even more annoying since upgrading to a new receiver which cuts off the audio when it loses the video signal, so now I lose audio and video for a few seconds at least a couple of times each night.

I find it hard to believe that a known bug that was introduced in an update two years ago is still present in the latest software! It's ridiculous!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem with DVR menu on 6416

Had my Cogeco service on Seasonal disconnect. When I had Cogeco reconnect I noticed that the DVR entry on the menu was missing so I couldn't set up recordings anymore. Also when I try to access my recordings using the MyDVR button on my remote I get a screen that says 'No Listings Available' and '0% Full'. Everything else works, I can pause live TV and I can try to set up recordings but they never actually record.
I tried all the usual things including getting Cogeco to reset the system. They tell me that the STB is not receiving their signals properly and the the box must be Unserviceable. All the diagnostics menus seem to be okay. The HDD info seems correct too.

Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can report that the intermittent drop outs over HDMI have finally been fixed! There was a software update a week or more ago and since then, I have not experienced a single drop out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP

Our Sony TV doesn't recognize the pvr that we are connecting with a hdmi cable. This is the second box that we have gotten and we have tech coming out tomorrow morning. What a pain the butt this has been. Maybe we should've just stuck with the HD converter box.

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Motorola 6416 Not Recording Series Anymore

I have the Motorola DCT 6416 PVR and for the last few months it won't record series that I have set up. It seems to go through the motions of recording since when I'm on the channel being recorded it will say REC on the PVR screen, or the red light on the top right of the PVR screen will be on, and even the three red circles appear on the menu info for the channel saying it's set to be recorded, but when I go into my list of recordings, it won't be there! However, if I'm on a channel, and I hit the Record button, it will record that channel no problem. I've called tech support and they say it's a hardware issue and the box needs to be replaced. They did offer to do the reset signal (on two separate occasions), which didn't seem to help. I also recently replaced the HDD with a 1TB one thinking that may solve things, and while it shows in the diagnostic menu that it is indeed 1TB, it still won't record series. Anyone have any solutions to this? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,878 Posts
@Mojorkr Has Cogeco done a full reset of the 6416? I'm not sure of the proper terminology, but it involves completely wiping the hardware (including the hard drive) and reloading the firmware, etc. from the head end.

If you can record a live channel by pressing the record button and it appears in the listing and you can play it back, I don't think it is a hardware issue.

Have you tried recording an individual program from the guide?

I've seen the problem of "phantom recordings" with similar hardware on Shaw. The PVR would go through the motions of recording, but it wouldn't be on the list. Pulling the power would resolve that for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes they did a full reset twice. I asked if there was any other type of reset they could do, and he said they sent out all the signals they have. And it was unplugged when I changed the hard drive over to the 1TB version, but was acting exactly the same afterwards. And yes I can record live shows, just not the saved series ones. However it’s odd sometimes when I’m trying to record two shows at once, when I go to view the other channel I’ll get a ‘Channel will be available shortly’ (ref S0200) message. So perhaps it is a tuner issue? Not sure how that could be fixed?

·
Super Moderator
17,878 Posts
I had a Shaw 6416 with a flaky tuner in 2007. Here are the details:
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/67...-satellite-receiver-hd-pvr-15.html#post606104

Your situation may be a little similar, although the analog/digital issue probably isn't relevant today. I would ask Cogeco to check the signal strength for that box to be sure that wasn't an issue. A weak signal with a weak/failing tuner would cause those kinds of problems. That should be your first step. The tuner could also be failing intermittently even with a good signal.

Here's one theory: If the box is using the "good tuner" for the live channel, then the recording will work if you press the record button. A scheduled recording will always use the background tuner, so it doesn't interrupt the live program you are watching. If the background tuner is flaky, then you might get the situation you described.

When you get the ‘Channel will be available shortly’ (ref S0200) message, does it only happen on certain channels? One experiment you can try is to start a manual recording and then start switching channels to the channels you frequently record, stopping on each channel for at least a few seconds to confirm the channel works properly. This process would be using the tuner that wasn't recording and might trigger the S0200 messages. That would probably confirm a tuner problem.

If one of the tuners is faulty, I don't know if it's repairable or if it's cost effective to repair it given the age of the hardware.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you may be correct with your theory. While I can’t check now, that has what happened in the past. It seems like it’s akways the secondary tuner that gives the S0200 error.
I did check the signal strength just recently after I changed the HDD and it was listed as ‘good’ (I can’t remember the exact number but it was in the low 20s I believe...I’m not sure what ‘good’ starts out at).
If in fact it is the tuners, is there a place in the GTA who repairs these types of things? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,878 Posts
I saw this in a Rogers thread from a little while ago. There may be other references.
I did find a repair shop near Toronto that services Rogers receivers. That's $40 shipping + a $50 service estimate + repair costs. I'm hanging on to the unit for spare parts.
The place where you got the pre-formatted hard drive can also arrange repairs. I don't know if there is a place in the GTA where you can drop it off and avoid the shipping costs. Sending a unit out for repair can be a little dicey if the problem is intermittent.

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
...is there a place in the GTA who repairs these types of things?
This is the only place I know of and they may be more into Cisco/Technicolor Rogers repairs. You'd have to give them a call. They're in Scarborough:

Contact | CSI | The Electronics Life Cycle. Optimized.

With these older units, it may be better to purchase another used one, or contact Cogeco to switch to their newer services?

With a single tuner, it is possible to watch a previously recorded programme and record another, but that's pretty limiting and you may still end up with the error since the PVR is designed to use both tuners...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Will an old Motorola DCT 6412 still work with Cogeco?

I HAVE one of the subject boxes but no longer use it.

Can I sell it to a Cogeco customer and know that it will work for them?
(I'm no longer a Cogeco client so I can't hook it up to test)

Thanks for any info.

(P.S. I ask, because I saw a notice on Shaw's website that they will NOT provide signal to 6412's after Feb/2020, https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/equipment-info-shaw-motorola-tv-box-dct6412/ta-p/6516, and I wouldn't wanna disappoint anyone.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I HAVE one of the subject boxes but no longer use it.

Can I sell it to a Cogeco customer and know that it will work for them?
(I'm no longer a Cogeco client so I can't hook it up to test)

Thanks for any info.

(P.S. I ask, because I saw a notice on Shaw's website that they will NOT provide signal to 6412's after Feb/2020, https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/equipment-info-shaw-motorola-tv-box-dct6412/ta-p/6516, and I wouldn't wanna disappoint anyone.)
@Uncle Scotty

As far as I know the box must have been on Cogeco service in the past to be able to add to an existing Cogeco user account. They used to add units to the service from other carriers, but have since stopped this practice as they would prefer you to use their tivo service then to stay on this legacy device.

EJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an old (purchased) Moto 6416 Phase III, which is starting to randomly (comes and goes) show a lot of errors on the tuners and I can't figure out if the box is just dying or it's something I can resolve. I've tried...
  • Checking a few other boxes in the house for errors. All are fine with good signal levels.
  • Tested the 6416 in another room to rule out its usual run of cable = still had errors/break ups
  • Tested a Pace HD550 where the 6416 usually sits = no errors. Everything fine.
  • Thought the "silver box splitter" on the back might be going bad so removed it & tested with my own splitter = still errors
  • Tried a fan to cool it down = didn't help

It seems to me like its a problem internally with the 6416 alone. The SNR is about 37 on the tuner 1, ~33 on tuner 2 (the Pace showed an SNR of 40+ at the same location). It's been running for nearly 15 years continuously. Maybe the tuners are just dying? If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it!

701 - 718 of 718 Posts