Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

681 - 700 of 718 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
dct416 III by Motorola .... popping noise

I am getting this constant popping noise when the screen changes images going from commercial to program and program to commercial and at other times too but it is far more rare in those circumstances. I have hooked up other devices with an HDMI to HDMI cable to my tv (not the one Cogeco provided) and could not recreate the same problem. It could be a bad HDMI to HDMI cable that Cogeco has provided or it could be something wrong with the box. Anyway has anyone else had this problem ? I saw in a search on Yahoo that people with certain Bell pvrs had this popping issue. I was told by phone support that they never have heard of this problem on their end in regards to their equipment and I also was informed of work that has been going on in my area recently so maybe while they are upgrading things they have done something to my connection ? I also btw have checked Youtube and looked up info on my tv and any popping issues people have are not of the same type as what I am getting in my situation and again it only happens with this pvr/cable box and hdmi cord.

Any feedback is appreciated ....

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
What's the make/model of the TV? We have heard of these popping issues as the programming changes from DD5.1 to DD2.0 and back on less expensive HTiB or AVR systems. Perhaps your TV has the same problem "adjusting" to the different signals with the digital connection. Did you try the different HDMI cable on the STB?

You may wish to try component video and analogue audio cables to see if the issue still occurs since analogue audio doesn't distinguish between DD5.1/DD2.0 (obviously). Here's the DD5.1 FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

HDMI Issues FAQ & Things to Check: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

Here's a useful post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
What channel causes the most popping?

Being in Sarnia, have you tried a set of bunny ears with OTA?

It would be interesting if it happens under those conditions too.

Cameron

·
Registered
25 Posts
OTA ?

What is OTA ? In regards to having bunny ears around for this tv I do not have any.

In regards to the information provided by 57 in those links wow was that a headache to read but I did find some stuff a non audiophile could understand. Still much of it was beyond me.

In terms of what channels have the most problems I can say that I can't nail that on the head as of yet in terms of audio but I did notice that with my tv for video if I go to non HD channels I get a bar down the right side of my tv from top to bottom that is half an inch thick or so. It looks brighter than the rest of the picture and when you get to the bottom of the screen the menu isn't aligned properly if you pull it up. The tv menu and the Cogeco menu both end up like that on those non HD channels but hey that is a whole separate issue.

.... and 57 I have a really short hdmi to hdmi cable I can try with the pvr/cable box but it is going to be hell to hook up

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
OTA=Over The Air.

I thought that if you had bunny ears, you could get some U.S. and or local stations and see if the problem occurs using the TV's internal digital tuner, if it has one.

Cameron

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
I'm not sure if the Cogeco STBs have an audio setting for PCM instead of Dolby Digital, but if they do, try that audio output setting since you won't be then changing from DD2.0 (many commercials are DD5.1) to DD5.1 (most HD programming). I'm assuming this doesn't happen on SD channels since they are DD2.0 only.

·
Registered
25 Posts
just had one of those moments again

TSN (not HD version) was going from the end of telecasting to retelecasting the sports news and a black screen came up like it is supposed to for a sec and my sound popped ... I don't get it ...

when it goes to that black blank screen to switch to whatever is next on their broadcast .... pop

I know I have had this also happen on CBC (not HD version) too

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey 57

57 there is a setting on my tv for SPDIF output and in the sub menu it is set to PCM with audio delay 0 ..... I can't change that to Dolby Digital .....

in regards to this setting this has nothing to do with my tv's sound speakers right ? those would only apply if I had external sound equipment hooked up to it right ?

or

do I need to change that PCM ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
with the cable box

with the cable box/pvr/dvr all in one I am seeing nothing in regards to setting audio ... nothing

and the pops keep continuing .... sick of this

update ..

finally found more settings for the cable box/pvr/dvr all in one

What exactly do you want me to try ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
various settings

Audio Setup

Default Audio Track: Channel default (no need to change that)
Descriptive Video Service: Off/On (????)
Audio Output: Tv Speakers, Stereo, Advanced (???? ... assume my Tv Speakers as I have nothing else hooked up to give out audio)

... for the Advanced setting it shows these sub menus -

Compression: None, Light, Heavy
Stereo Output: Mono, Stereo, Matrix

Bottom line I think is that I just can't rely on the audio right now for watching tv and so I guess I should also try hooking my 5.1 pc speakers to my tv. I understand they will only be 2.1 but if they work well it would be better than hearing pop, pop, and pop every so often.

Should the cable box/pvr/dvr maybe be set to Advanced with Heavy Compression and Mono ?

·
Registered
949 Posts
You can stream some content to a pc via firewire or with a device like an happauge pvr. There's lots of information on these forums about this. I'm sure 57 or someone else can post some direct links.

·
Registered
25 Posts
what I am trying to store

What I am trying to store is very unlikely to be shown ever again on sports networks eh. When I am older I wouldn't mind being able to show my son some things we watched together eh and also have the opportunity to watch it on my own. In regards to my favourite tv shows I still buy seasons on dvd so I am not trying to steal stuff like that. I am just recording stuff I want to store and save because there is no guarantee I will ever be able to see it elsewhere. The OHL is a good example of that. It isn't like I expect to see replays of full jr. hockey games anywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
guide or info on hd channels

motorola 6412 issue, i cannot access the guide or info menu while watching hd channels..why? works fine on all other channels

·
Registered
2 Posts
component

found the issue, I was hooked up with composite, when i switched to component hook up guide showed up.... i can't believe none of you geeks solved this problem:rolleyes:

681 - 700 of 718 Posts