Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

661 - 680 of 718 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I am able to hit record and tape a show as I type, and I've set a show to tape at noon to test and see if the guide recording works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Occasionally (maybe once or twice a night) my display will go black and lose audio for 2 seconds. If I rewind a live broadcast right after the dropout it will playback without a glitch, so the dropout was not part of the original signal feed. I've also noticed it happen while watching a recording and again, rewinding it 30 seconds and watching it again the dropout does not occur.

It seems to be a very sporadic HDMI handshake issue between my Sony Bravia Z5100 and the DVR itself. I've swapped HDMI cables and inputs on the TV and have also have a bluray and media PC connected via HDMI which I can watch for hours without the same symptom so I believe the TV isn't at fault.

Anyone else noticing this behaviour with their box with the most recent firmware?
I have been having the same issue for the last month or two. I thought it was the HDMI port on my TV, but two friends at work have been having the same problem. It hasn't been too annoying (unless it becomes worse).

I have had another issue, however, just in the last week (since my box has been updating): The TV series' that I have scheduled have been corrupted. First, there was an update the other day, after which the 15 or so TV series I have scheduled (all but one, I believe) were listed improperly, with something along the lines of "$#BAD STRING" written in the details, and the titles cropped to things like "ene Investigation", and the channels set to weird numbers like 7887. Some of the series now had no title at all, or the title was just a number. After deleting and re-sceduling the series, there was another update yesterday (which now allows recorded shows to be grouped in folders), and the TV series I had scheduled were corrupted AGAIN! Very annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Corrupt series recordings

I have had another issue, however, just in the last week (since my box has been updating): The TV series' that I have scheduled have been corrupted. First, there was an update the other day, after which the 15 or so TV series I have scheduled (all but one, I believe) were listed improperly, with something along the lines of "$#BAD STRING" written in the details, and the titles cropped to things like "ene Investigation", and the channels set to weird numbers like 7887. Some of the series now had no title at all, or the title was just a number. After deleting and re-sceduling the series, there was another update yesterday (which now allows recorded shows to be grouped in folders), and the TV series I had scheduled were corrupted AGAIN! Very annoying.
I am having the exact same issue. I am almost relieved to see that it is a software issue and not the first signs that my box is preparing to leave me.

Bullzie

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
For the last few months now, when I turn on my tv, all I see is a blank screen. My 6416 is always set to be on. If I hit the OK button on the remote, or INFO, I will see the EPG on screen, but no tv video. To get video playing, I have to hit CH+ or CH-. When it switches to the next channel, I see tv video again. It's almost like a screensaver thing.

It's annoying when someone else turns on the tv and just assumes something is wrong. You can't really tell if the tv is on, so they hit POWER again and it turns off. Eventually enough button presses gets it going.

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
Possible solutions:

- Program the PVR remote to turn the PVR and the TV on/off - did you have issues when you turned it off?
- Get a Harmony or similar remote - program in a macro to do a CH+.
- Not sure if the Cogeco remote can do a macro. If it can, do a CH+ there?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'm not too worried about it, but it's just an odd behaviour because I don't understand what triggers it, unless it's a screensaver. I only notice it when I turn on the tv in the evening, after it's been off all day.

What is too bad is that I can't just turn on the tv, and see an interesting program, and decide to rewind with the PVR. I used to do that quite often. Turn on the news at 6:04pm, then just rewind to the beginning. Maybe turn on and CNN is in the middle of a report, etc.

I'm curious how no one else has noticed it. And you know what....I only notice it with the upstairs 6416, not the 6412 downstairs. hmmmm

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've noticed the same thing which I attributed to the bugs from the latest software update:

New Bugs:

* Intermittent blank-screen dropouts when using HDMI
* Longer HDMI handshake on TV power-up
* Occasional blank channel after HDMI handshake (guide works, but no channel audio/video until channel changed, then changed back). Mainly occurs when cable box is recording on that channel during HDMI handshake.
* Occasional channel info pops up on the hour, sometimes not even for the current channel (possibly info from other tuner?)
* Favorites list resets at the top of the channel list when exiting info screens.
* If you are tuned to an SD channel that has an HD version available, a popup will appear for several seconds when a new HD program starts, even if you are actually watching an unrelated recording.
* When starting to play a recording, or after stopping playback, the audio may be muted. (Pause, then Play, will usually restore audio.)
* Sometimes after a tuner swap, or stopping a recording playback, the audio and video will continuously cycle on and off.
* VCR-style manual recordings (channel, start-time, end-time) that are set to repeat weekly will not record past midnight.
* Guide only holds 9-10 days of data, versus 14-15 with previous versions.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
^^
Thanks, those bugs regarding handshakes sounds like the problem with the blank screen. These motorola boxes are funny. By the time they sort out all the bugs, the hardware will be outdated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Same issues

as ^^^. Most of the issues don't impact my viewing pleasure but it's annoying to have to do the ch+ or ch- to get a proper picture when I start things up. This last upgrade really makes me miss my TiVo...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been using the Motorola DCT 6416 and the remote says there a picture picture function but it dose not work. Is there any way to make it work?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just noticed this week that my dct6416 lost a bunch of series recordings. I missed a few season finales and I noticed today that a weekly timed recording is gone as well. This has happened on both of my receivers. In the history, it just says that the series was deleted by the system.

Anyone else having this problem recently. It's happened on one before, but with it happening on both, I thought it might be a new firmware issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same thing for me. Deleted four of my series recordings, just . . . because??? Great equipment. Now what?? Exchange it for a new one?? Is this the highest capacity box (in terms of memory) that Cogeco offers??

·
Registered
459 Posts
It did the same thing on the new Pace DVRs as well, so it's not a box-related issue. Must have been something Cogeco did on their end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It has happened to me three times since the start of this year. Cogeco doesn't seem to be bothering to be careful when they make updates to the system. It has also started missing the occasional recording for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Cogeco HD PVR and seem to have issues setting up a series recording on certain HD channels -
most specfically City TV hd and Omni HD.
Its almost as if the pvr doesn't seem to like these channels. I set up a series recording for Law and Order SVU - checked EVERY setting like 10 times and still doesn't record. I end up having to go each week and scroll through the guide to manually set-up to record.

Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've noticed the same thing which I attributed to the bugs from the latest software update:

New Bugs:

* Intermittent blank-screen dropouts when using HDMI
* Longer HDMI handshake on TV power-up
* Occasional blank channel after HDMI handshake (guide works, but no channel audio/video until channel changed, then changed back). Mainly occurs when cable box is recording on that channel during HDMI handshake.
* Occasional channel info pops up on the hour, sometimes not even for the current channel (possibly info from other tuner?)
* Favorites list resets at the top of the channel list when exiting info screens.
* If you are tuned to an SD channel that has an HD version available, a popup will appear for several seconds when a new HD program starts, even if you are actually watching an unrelated recording.
* When starting to play a recording, or after stopping playback, the audio may be muted. (Pause, then Play, will usually restore audio.)
* Sometimes after a tuner swap, or stopping a recording playback, the audio and video will continuously cycle on and off.
* VCR-style manual recordings (channel, start-time, end-time) that are set to repeat weekly will not record past midnight.
* Guide only holds 9-10 days of data, versus 14-15 with previous versions.
Have any of these issues been fixed with an update? The image/signal dropouts have become more annoying since I upgraded to a new LED/LCD set which automatically blanks the screen when the signal drops, so now what was a blank screen for less than a second has become a blank screen of more than two seconds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not experienced all of these issues, but of the ones that I have, they have not gone away.
It's really the first and third bugs that I experience regularly (and the seventh, but I had that issue before the last major update), but it's the first one on the list that has become really annoying.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm connected with HDMI but rarely experience those issues. The only issues I experience daily are:

661 - 680 of 718 Posts