Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approx 5 years I had to switch to Cogeco for my internet provider - it was them or Bell locally here in Windsor, as my preferred provider was not able to offer a fast enough connection at the time, for what I needed. Tech came, hooked me up, etc. all good. Last year, I was given a new modem - tech came and set it up took the old one with him. Funny...because 2 bills later I got a charge for over $200.00 for not returning the old modem.....anyway, that's another story for another day/post.

Here is my issue/concern:
The install I had, obviously they ran a line from the utility pole to my house - which looks like black co-ax (not fibre optic). New modem is their latest - I was supposedly one of the first in my area to get it, and was still "testing" it they said. Up until 2 weeks ago I had their 360 unlimited. When running speedtest, I never got to 100MB/S, let alone anywhere close to 360. I recently had it out with them on the phone regarding my bill - once your commitment period is over they raise your rate more than double with no notice - they convinced me to commit for another year (I am being honest here....I am holding out until my local provider hooks up their fibre on my street). They also tell me they boosted my service to their unlimited 1G fibre.

I am very skeptical that the line they ran is fibre optic, as well as the modem they gave me. This new 1G fibre service, I have noticed absolutely no increase in speed - I ran speedtest a couple days ago, and still was only getting about 93MB/S download speed at the very best. Is this line actually a fibre optic line, or just RG6 coax? My local provide runs a separate line, which is a pink/purple colour. Any of the more knowledgable posters on here have any insight on this?

Lastly Cogeco is telling me that this local provider throttles their bandwidth as they don't use their own line - well then what is this purple fibre optic cable that they are running to everyone's business/house???? Well, no.....they do not throttle bandwidth because it is their own line they are running!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is that 93MB/s or 93Mb/s (or Mbps)… The former is a 1Gbps service (about 930Mbps), while the latter is about 100Mbps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The install I had, obviously they ran a line from the utility pole to my house - which looks like black co-ax (not fibre optic).
The line they ran from your home is 99.999% likely to be coax.

Up until 2 weeks ago I had their 360 unlimited. When running speedtest, I never got to 100MB/S, let alone anywhere close to 360.
How are you connected to your modem? Wireless or Wired? If Wireless, are you connected to the 2.4Ghz network or 5Ghz network? If Wired, are you using an ethernet cable that is at least Cat 5E? I think one of these issues is what is causing your speed problem more than anything.

I recently had it out with them on the phone regarding my bill - once your commitment period is over they raise your rate more than double with no notice
sigh You must have been getting an AMAZING discount for your rate to more than double, like 55 or 60 bucks off a month. I highly doubt that. The 360 Mbps service is $103 per month, regular price before any bundling or promos are applied. The 1 Gbps service is 10 dollars more a month. As for not getting notice, YOU HAD NOTICE. Every month that your bill is printed it tells you when your promotional discount ends. You aren't the first to not realize that, and you won't be the last.

I am very skeptical that the line they ran is fibre optic, as well as the modem they gave me. This new 1G fibre service, I have noticed absolutely no increase in speed - I ran speedtest a couple days ago, and still was only getting about 93MB/S download speed at the very best. Is this line actually a fibre optic line, or just RG6 coax? My local provide runs a separate line, which is a pink/purple colour. Any of the more knowledgable posters on here have any insight on this?
I know of nowhere in Windsor that Cogeco runs fibre to the home. They probably ran RG6 coax. The "fibre" in the internet package name is just marketing fluff, the same that every single provider of every type does in North America. It's not right, but it is what it is. Cogeco, like most cable companies use a fibre optic/coax hybrid network. Wikipedia article The purple lines or, more than likely, conduits that are purple belong to MNSi. They are deploying fibre to the home (FTTH) using their own network and system.

Lastly Cogeco is telling me that this local provider throttles their bandwidth as they don't use their own line - well then what is this purple fibre optic cable that they are running to everyone's business/house???? Well, no.....they do not throttle bandwidth because it is their own line they are running!
This is not true...what Cogeco said. Like you know, MNSi's network is 100% seperated from Cogeco's network. The person on the phone or online chat from Cogeco probably just said that because they are told to say things like that plus they would have no idea what is being deployed in each area and by whom.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The line they ran from your home is 99.999% likely to be coax.

Exactly......I was at one time really up to speed on this tech - it's almost false advertising in a way.....very deceptive.

How are you connected to your modem? Wireless or Wired? If Wireless, are you connected to the 2.4Ghz network or 5Ghz network? If Wired, are you using an ethernet cable that is at least Cat 5E? I think one of these issues is what is causing your speed problem more than anything.

I am wired right in....pretty sure it's Cat6 cable, but I would have to check that to be 100% sure. But still.......I am not going to get fibre speeds on a coax line.....

sigh You must have been getting an AMAZING discount for your rate to more than double, like 55 or 60 bucks off a month. I highly doubt that. The 360 Mbps service is $103 per month, regular price before any bundling or promos are applied. The 1 Gbps service is 10 dollars more a month. As for not getting notice, YOU HAD NOTICE. Every month that your bill is printed it tells you when your promotional discount ends. You aren't the first to not realize that, and you won't be the last.

I went from approx $85 for the 360 w/ home phone to (almost double) $167, until I locked myself in for another year at about $90/m for Fiber 1G w/ home phone.

I know of nowhere in Windsor that Cogeco runs fibre to the home. They probably ran RG6 coax. The "fibre" in the internet package name is just marketing fluff, the same that every single provider of every type does in North America. It's not right, but it is what it is. Cogeco, like most cable companies use a fibre optic/coax hybrid network. Wikipedia article The purple lines or, more than likely, conduits that are purple belong to MNSi. They are deploying fibre to the home (FTTH) using their own network and system.

This is not true...what Cogeco said. Like you know, MNSi's network is 100% seperated from Cogeco's network. The person on the phone or online chat from Cogeco probably just said that because they are told to say things like that plus they would have no idea what is being deployed in each area and by whom.

This kind of (OK really) pissed me off when they said that. And as you said, I know it's not true.
It's funny....when I first talked to Cogeco and told them I can get a true fibre service locally at a much lower price than what they offer the sales person actually said to me "No, you can't, I highly doubt that."

Anyways...the main point of this post was to confirm that no matter how fast of a fibre service is offered, you still won't get the speed on a coax line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's funny....when I first talked to Cogeco and told them I can get a true fibre service locally at a much lower price than what they offer the sales person actually said to me "No, you can't, I highly doubt that."

Anyways...the main point of this post was to confirm that no matter how fast of a fibre service is offered, you still won't get the speed on a coax line.
I'm no fan of Cogeco, but all ISP's use common fiber once they get out of their own LAN/WAN system. They might be referring to how this provider gets out onto the main trunks. Cogeco, as I understand it uses a hybrid approach..... copper to the homes and fiber to the servers etc. Now how much of the "copper to the home" they use likely depends on what area they're servicing. So, we might be on copper around the neighbourhood, but fiber to the server. Are they playing with words? probably.... but Bell installers have told me that "some" homes have fiber all the way to the modem in the house, but it is a minority :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just ordered Cogeco "fibre" because it is now cheaper and (theoretically) as fast as Bell FTTH, with a 10 year price reduction guarantee. So for 120 months I will pay $33 less than the going rate. For now that makes it $80/mo unlimited usage. That doesn't prevent them from raising their rates, of course.

Anyhoo, I will see if Cogeco changes the coax or just gives me a 1 Gigabit cable modem, which is what I'm guessing it is.

Currently I have 1 Gigabit Bell FTTH. I witnessed the FTTH installation, so I know it is real optical fibre. It was $60/mo for the first year, and is now $106/mo which is still pretty good. I don't pay for TV or landline phone, just internet.

As for speed, I'm using a Bell HH3000 in bridge mode and the Ookla speeds have been getting progressively slower. If I run the Bell speedtest from the HH3000 home page, it's very fast. Surprise surprise. I can run 3 or 4 Zoom sessions simultaneously, which has helped a lot with kids schooling from home. I just feel like I'm not getting full bandwidth.

One of these days I will do a proper test, hard wired to the HH3000 and with the rest of the network shut down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just ordered Cogeco "fibre" because it is now cheaper and (theoretically) as fast as Bell FTTH, with a 10 year price reduction guarantee. So for 120 months I will pay $33 less than the going rate. For now that makes it $80/mo unlimited usage. That doesn't prevent them from raising their rates, of course.

Anyhoo, I will see if Cogeco changes the coax or just gives me a 1 Gigabit cable modem, which is what I'm guessing it is.
Update:
I received my Hitron 4589 cable modem. They keep making these things bigger and faster.
It comes with 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless built in.
So far (1 day) I'm not seeing the mind blowing speeds on Ookla, but it's pretty fast.

For now, with my Bell and Cogeco service combined I have (theoretically) 2 gigabit to my home. I can rule the Tri-State Area!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update:
I received my Hitron 4589 cable modem. They keep making these things bigger and faster.
It comes with 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless built in.
So far (1 day) I'm not seeing the mind blowing speeds on Ookla, but it's pretty fast.

For now, with my Bell and Cogeco service combined I have (theoretically) 2 gigabit to my home. I can rule the Tri-State Area!
Update 2:

I solved the slow Bell Fibe problem by replacing an old slow Ethernet cable with a Cat 5e. Always check those cables!
Bell HH3000 in passthrough mode is working smoothly, and Cogeco cable modem is not getting much love.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.