Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have digital cable with cogeco in Burlington ON, starting 2 days ago some of my channels have begun switching channels without prompting to the VOD preview channel (channel 1). It's not all channels, for example the discovery channel doesn't seem to do it. I spoke with 2 cogeco tech help guys and both of the told me this is a new feature called digital switch. In my mind a feature implies there is a benefit. I can't imagine what the benefit to this could be.

A message pops up on the screen every 5 - 15 min and says that the channel you requested can not be found and then it changes the channel to channel 1. At first it prompted me to hit ok to stay on the channel I was watching if I wanted to continue to watch, but now it just changes itself.

his is really frustrating, I have a tivo and this essentially makes it useless. If I try to record anything over night I can pretty much be assured that in the morning I will have 10 or so minutes of the program and the the rest is the VOD preview channel. I have a supervisor calling me at home tonight to try and explain why they are unable to fix this problem and why it it's a new feature.

Is anyone else having this problem? I can't imagine any customers will be happy about it.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think he means Switched Digital Video (SDV) and that is NOT the way it is supposed to opperate, there is definitely a problem with the system for it to do that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm seeing similar issues in Oakville. I'll leave the cable box on to record something overnight onto the DVD Recorder. A couple of times all I get is channel 1, other times it gets the program but the box has changed to channel 1 afterwards.

Is it worth calling them to complain? Seems like a back-handed plan to get people to get the DVR.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi JarJ and jbamford,

Have you guys tried using the VCR recording feature that comes with the DCT? I'm wondering if you set the program up to record using that feature if you'd run into any problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The VCR feature was dropped from the software on my box (DCT 2000 series) a couple of years ago. I suspect, though, that would work.

I suppose I could get a new box, but it rubs me the wrong way that I've got to spend money to fix a problem that didn't exist a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I definitely recommend that you call in then. Ask to have a technical support ticket opened up and someone can investigate for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts