Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Premium. I believe you still have to sub to TMN to get it. I don't know of any provider that offers HBO as a stand alone.

·
Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
TMN is a multiplex channel that includes TMN 1-4 plus HBO. HBO is not available separately.

Cogeco charges $20/month for the above or $21.99 if you include TMN Encore 1 and 2 and the Superstations (KTLA, WPIX, WSBK.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
MSNBC Changes/Issues?

Hi,

We've been watching MSNBC for about a year-and-a-half. It is now costing us 7-dollars for the Standard Def-only channel, since Cogeco dropped its Front Page pack, which they gave us free when we originally requested MSNBC. Strikes me as a bit of a gouge, but we want it and that's not the problem.

A week or so ago, we started getting an hour here/an hour there of MSNBC International during daytime hours. We seem to be missing the first hour of Morning Joe (6A-7A), the 10A-11A hour is now a replay of the Brian Williams 11th Hour show, and the 1PM hour appears to be up for grabs, too, (Today, it was last night's Kasie DC.)

Two calls to Cogeco CS were a waste of time. In fact, Julie and Sabrina both suggested we call the CRTC and make a complaint? I think I'd acknowledge there's a problem and do something about it.

Anybody else running into the same problem? I really don't want to watch CNN.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
We've been watching MSNBC for about a year-and-a-half. A week or so ago, we started getting an hour here/an hour there of MSNBC International during daytime hours. We seem to be missing the first hour of Morning Joe (6A-7A), the 10A-11A hour is now a replay of the Brian Williams 11th Hour show, and the 1PM hour appears to be up for grabs, too, (Today, it was last night's Kasie DC.)

Anybody else running into the same problem? I really don't want to watch CNN.
Any service provider like Cogeco usually just passes through the signal coming from the "broadcaster" (unless it's a simsubbed programme, which I'm assuming this is not). If this is a case of MSNBC changing around their programming, then your beef is with MSNBC, unless there's something weird going on.

You should check the programming listings on MSNBC's site, or other guides? I suggest you contact MSNBC.

Edit: Sometimes this could be a "rights issue" where a certain programme doesn't have rights into Canada and then another programme would be substituted.

·
Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
@mike marshall it sounds like your problems started with the beginning of NBC's broadcast of the Olympics. They used their subsidiary stations for some programs for the Rio Olympics and I've seen some Olympic guide info for CNBC this year. Both CNBC and MSNBC have separate Canadian feeds that they use to handle the situations where they have to substitute alternative programming when the Olympics content is aired.

Things should be back to normal next Monday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
57 said:
Any service provider like Cogeco usually just passes through the signal coming from the "broadcaster" (unless it's a simsubbed programme, which I'm assuming this is not). If this is a case of MSNBC changing around their programming, then your beef is with MSNBC, unless there's something weird going on.

You should check the programming listings on MSNBC's site, or other guides? I suggest you contact MSNBC.

Edit: Sometimes this could be a "rights issue" where a certain programme doesn't have rights into Canada and then another programme would be substituted.
Thanks, 57. Just to let you know, I'm a retired career broadcaster (radio), so I've got a bit of a head start on this.

This doesn't appear to be a rights issue. The Cogeco program guide does not match these recent changes on MSNBC.

When a "replay" hour from MSNBC International is substituted for the normal American feed, there is an audible 'aux' mark (beep) that triggers it.
The beep may have a different name, "aux" is what we called it in radio. The "aux" marks were placed at the end of a file (song, spot, jingle) and they fired the next unit. Usually, you don't hear any beeps on MSNBC as they change anchors at the top of each hour.

It's almost like "something weird" is "going on." Somebody, the net or our local Bdu, has done a bad job of setting up their
automation, so they don't need anybody in the room.

The CRTC okayed MSNBC's American feed for Canada, so what's happening is a bit of a surprise, an unwelcome one.

Earlier today, I sent a note to Contact:NBC. Volume of traffic considered, we don't expect a reply.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dr. Dave said:
@mike marshall it sounds like your problems started with the beginning of NBC's broadcast of the Olympics. They used their subsidiary stations for some programs for the Rio Olympics and I've seen some Olympic guide info for CNBC this year. Both CNBC and MSNBC have separate Canadian feeds that they use to handle the situations where they have to substitute alternative programming when the Olympics content is aired.

Things should be back to normal next Monday.
Bingo!

Thanks, Dr. Dave. Makes a lot of sense. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I'm blessed, I guess. About 5-minutes after posting the above 'back to normal' bit, the Nicole Wallace show froze and lost audio. Cogeco says it's a problem with them. It is still down. Ah, the life of a news junkie...

·
Super Moderator
17,708 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not but Cogeco added two new HD channels today Stingray Hits on 792 and Stingray Classica on 793.

My box says I don't sub to either channel.

These are probably the first new HD channels in over a year.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I checked a day after denben73's post and I did not have them either, said I didn't have a subscription. But then I checked again yesterday and they are now both showing up for me. Nice to have a music video channel again.

Are these on free preview or will I always have them?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. The Hits channel appears to be more of a French video channel at least from what I've seen and Classica...well, not my style of music. :grin They still don't list them on their site or in My Account as an available channel to choose.

Now, just waiting on MLBtv, GSN HD, DTOUR HD, Crime Investigation HD and Canadian timeshifting in HD to be added. I only list those since those are the SD only channels we sub to. There are lots of others still not on Cogeco.

·
Super Moderator
17,708 Posts
Stingray tends to put their video channels on preview when they are added to a provider, but they aren't listed on Cogeco's preview page yet. Bell treats Stingray Hits the same as the other video channels (Retro, Vibe, etc.) and Classica is an individual add-on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have AMC in they MyMix package Cogeco is no longer charging the extra $2.00 a month, but you need to call in and have it changed. They don't do it automatically because they consider it a "grandfathered" package. Also check you Crave package you may be grandfathered in at the $21.99 package instead of the $20. I was at the $21.99 then they took away the Starz channels but never reduced the cost

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If anyone cares anymore...

Cogeco added 3 new HD channels and one new 4K channel today, at least here in Windsor.

HD:
820 - MSNBC HD

821 - BBC World News HD

846 - American Heroes Channel HD

4K:
1201 - Stingray Festival 4K

Reactions: jeffaustin90

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Now MSNBC has been removed.

:confused: