Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I got a "A line-up change has occurred." on our TiVo this morning. Playboy HD has now been added on 898.

Someone actually still pays for this stuff, in this internet age? lol

I thought it might have been more 4k content but not yet I guess.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Adding to post 136.

I found out last night that HD versions of BBC Canada, IFC and Dejaview exist and only seem to be on Telus Optik TV out west.

Not many SD-only Canadian services left with Vision and ONE going HD soon.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Geez....that's no surprise really. I do miss Eastlink's TV service back when we lived in Timmins. Their pricing is awesome compared to Cogeco too.

I could go on and on comparing them, but this isn't the place.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cogeco Adds 3 new channels to Grandfathered Package

I am on the grandfathered digital value pack. I just got a letter from Cogeco saying that I'm losing BNN (Business News Network) but they are adding AMC , Sportsnet 1 and Bloomberg News in lieu of BNN, with no price hike.

Interestingly enough they say I can add BNN back as a stand alone channel.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
They must have struck some sort of deal with Bell then, obviously.

Let's see if we get CTV, Crave TV and the other specialties added soon. *fingers crossed*

Still waiting on a number of HD channels.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
We had a message on our TiVo system to say that GameTV HD has been added on 845. We don't sub to that channel so I don't know if it is fully active yet or not.
@greatger - I had read a post on another forum that someone had heard that AMC HD would be coming to North Bay (and Chatham too) in June or July.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Did some digging through their channel list on the website and noticed that Vision TV appears to be coming on 797 and ONE HD on 798.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a region thing and I guess they choose not to purchase it for the North region. Instead they charge us $2 a month AMC SD. Take it or leave it basically.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Not sure where you got that info since Chatham doesn't have it either and it's 70KM east of Windsor.

It's probably a technical issue. Some of the smaller systems don't have the same channel capacity as the larger systems. They are working on it, from what I hear.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
There are two possible issues and in many cases both likely have an effect on smaller markets. Some markets are only built to 600Mhz while most larger markets are either 750Mhz-860Mhz. The other issue is some markets don't have switched digital video. If you live in a smaller city like Chatham or North Bay, both of these issues could be preventing some channels from being available due to lack of capacity.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
No big deal really but The Real Estate Channel that was on channel 9 in Windsor, Leamington and Chatham-Kent is no longer available. It was removed a week ago on the 14th.

I inquired about channels 797 and 798 that I posted about almost 2 months ago. Even though they are still listed on their website, they were never added nor do the CSRs acknowledge they would/should/could be added. To them, if they don't carry it the channel itself must not exist. They said it was probably a mistake and it would be corrected on the site yet 2 weeks later they are still there. Guess they are busy buying US cable systems than trying to make things better for their CURRENT customers in Canada.

2 HD channels added since January and one of them is a Premium adult service.:frown

I still can't understand why it's so hard for them (or any cable/IPTV/satellite company) to make deals to add HD version of current SD channels that they do carry and others get them right away with zero issues. The only reason I can understand would be technical like having no capacity or lack of it. What happened to all that bandwidth with the analogue shutdown? I doubt it all went to internet since the packages haven't changed in all but 1 system.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The day after my previous post, 797 (VisionTV) and 798 (ONE) went live.

141 - 160 of 201 Posts