Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, I have noticed a HUGE difference in PQ. Not so much on the older tube TV's (27, 32") but on the 2 52" LCD's and 32" LCD.
Looking good so far and just might keep me from jumping ship now (as I was extremely close to satellite). Can't wait to see what's in store for the HD channels.

And just on a side note, seems it's clearQAM as HDHomerun picks them up, yay.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Now that Chatham has the 900's would I be able to pick up the all digital PACE DVR receiver? I want to purchase one and return the older Motorola to Cogeco as I am renting it. Or should I wait a few more weeks until the old analoge system gets switched to digital?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. I bought the Pace HD receiver in Windsor back in December and as of a week ago I'm now able to receive channels 2-73 on it in Chatham.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Analog versus Digital

With the conversion from Analog to Digital being announced (for sure), I am a little confused as to what we have already. On a digital box (Ancaster), what is the difference between channels 2-70 and channels 902-970? I believe I was told once that the 2-70 channels were digital and the 902-970 were analog but that can't be true because all US stations are digital and they show up in both areas and not all Canadian stations have both analog and digital yet. I beieve Cogeco just converts the digital signal to analog.

I guess one question would be, does it make a difference? Is the clarity of a SD station any better when it is a digital signal as opposed to an analog signal? Because I have a digital tuner connected directly to the cable, I will pick up digital stations and they don't seem any better than the equivalent analog stations.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
1. The fact that the original channel is digital has nothing to do with whether the cable service provider gives it to you in analogue or digital format, so yes, the 900 channels are analogue.

See: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90621

2. The digital channels are typically of better picture quality and less affected by signal strength in that you either get them or you don't (except for a very small range of signal where picture breakup occurs). Digital PQ is affected by the amount of compression, so a much watched channel usually has good PQ while a little watched channel may have less bandwidth and more compression artifacts.

3. Getting rid of the analogue channels will free up a lot of bandwidth that can be used for better picture quality and/or more channels.

4. Digital channels are also better for PVRs because then the bits are recorded directly bit for bit instead of having to undergo a conversion to be recorded.

·
Registered
35 Posts
57, not sure why you moved my post into a Chatham post because I'm asking about current service, not future service and not in Chatham. Someone looking through topics isn't going to answer my question because they wouldn't expect it within that topic.

You didn't answer the question as to the difference between channels 2-70 and 902-970 on a digital receiver. If they are both analog, why have both? Doesn't it use up broadband doing this?

I have a Pioneer Kuro with a QAM tuner to which I connect the Cogeco cable (separate from the digital receiver which I watch through component). When I do a scan I will get channel 3 (Global) and 81.3 (I assume Global Digital). It basically picks up any basic digital stations available with a digital STB (non-subcription, non-HD channels). Is there a difference between the two? Is the 81.3 channel a true digital feed? Could channel 3 be a digital feed that Cogeco converts to analog? It's strange because the US station such as WIVB in Buffalo (17 and 81.5) are all digital but 81.5 is sharper than 17 (on the QAM/ATSC tuner). Does something get lost when Cogeco converts it to analog to be shown on regular cable? I'm just interested in what Cogeco does to various inputs.

Talking about future service, if the cable is connected directly to a ATSC/QAM tuner, won't it pick up the digital stations like it does now? Realistically, if you have a HDTV, you wouldn't be using that kind of connection anyways, you would be using the component or HDMI connection from the digital receiver to get HD (unless the adaptor supplies HD). My wife prefers to watch TV through the tuner on the Pioneer because she is used to the stations as they are set up on the bedroom TV (no STB).

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
1. This thread is not Chatham specific, it's about Cogeco going digital, per the title - I will change the title some more.

2. Chanels 2-70 on the STB are digital, not analogue. They are analogue on an NTSC tuner TV without STB. These channels can be mapped to any number - the numbers are meaningless on the STB.

3. See the following FAQ on QAM. Note that different providers and different areas can get different channels and the unencrypted channels could be encrypted at any time.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271

4. Yes, any conversion is likely to lose you PQ.

5. Re "Future" see item 3 FAQ.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just a quick note to remind people that as of March 21, most analoge channels in Chatham will no longer be available. Only a small subset of analogs will continue to be used.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Keep in mind that Canada is converting to all digital effective August 2011; similar to what the U.S. did previously. I recall there being a big push for analogue customers in the U.S to obtain a cable box or they would have no signal. I agree with some previous posts, it is likely that Cogeco is testing a few small markets regarding conversion before it becomes mandatory later this year in all markets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
57:
To summarize...

- 2-70 on a NTSC TV tuner are analogue (ATSC/QAM as well?)
- 902-970 are those same analogue stations on a STB
- 2-70 on a STB are digital
- 81.3, etc. are those same digital stations on a ATSC/QAM TV tuner.

Having 902-970 being shown on a STB doesn't really use up bandwidth because they have to be there for the NTSC TV tuner anyways. Once everything is digital, it frees up bandwidth for other digital stations that use less bandwidth and 902-970 would go away.

I'm not sure in which forum/subforum I'm supposed to find the "FAQ - #3" that you suggested for "future".

·
Registered
35 Posts
I said see item 3 of that post, not FAQ 3. The link in item 3 addresses what may happen in the future re unencrypted QAM. Post 31 now also contains relevant info.
57:
Your reply said "5. Re "Future" see item 3 FAQ." and I still can't find the appropriate forum/subforum/topic with an item 3 or 31 that talks about unencrypted QAM or has a link to the same. I'm sorry if I'm getting you upset.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
In post 28 of this thread, there is a link under item 3. That is all.

Post 31 of this thread was added after post 28 (obviously) and it contains some relevant information in a link that you may wish to review.

Is that clear now?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got it, thanks for putting up with me. As you might determine from my username, some people consider me a nit-picker.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I asked that question to a CSR last night and did not get an answer. I in fact called about the lack of Sportsnet One in Chatham and why we do not have that channel yet. I would like to be able to catch a few Blue Jays games this year.

All I got was...the area is undergoing upgrade to allow for new channels.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well the wait for more HD channels in Chatham has finally come to an end. I was happy to turn on the tube last night and see many new HD channels in the guide.

I did not however see the new HD channels recently advertised (Oasis etc. . .).

I also noticed for the kids that Teletoon retro has shown up as well. I am not sure though how many new SD channels have also appeared in the guide with our recent change to digital.

21 - 40 of 151 Posts