Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it posibale to add an external hard drive to the box so that you could backup your recored programs .

Thanks Don

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
No. Shaw has updated the firmware to allow for an eHDD, however, it is not used for backup, it's used to increase the capacity for recording. See the Shaw HD STB forum for details. When it becomes available on Cogeco, there will be a thread on the topic, with lots of action, but again, it is not for backup.

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really wish they would allow for backups. With how unreliable these boxes are, it is very frustrating to have all your recordings wiped out. I've had to replace two of these boxes, and just a few months ago I had the current one randomly reset itself and completely wipe itself. Having the ability to do backups would be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks.... I know about some of the 'workarounds' for backups, but to me that really isn't a viable backup. I'm not concerned with backing it up for permanent storage, but I'd just like to be able to keep what I have recorded for at least the lifetime that I have the box. I just find it a hassle losing recordings that I haven't gotten around to watching yet. I should be able to back it up to a HD and if I have to swap the DVR, plug the HD back in and have all my recordings again. But apparently I live in a dream world haha.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I guess I'll post here to fill everyone in. I tried hooking up an external esata drive to my DCT 6412 III, and a message popped up on my tv to tell me my provider does not support external drives, so please disconnect it.

I figure it was possible that just plugging it in would initialize/format the external drive, so I then inserted it into my DCT internally, but the DCT would not recognize the drive for what it was...a 250GB Western Digital. At most, a new internal drive in my DCT shows up as a 32GB drive. About 3hrs of HD recording.

My latest attempt was I ordered the exact same Seagate drive from ebay (120GB), and I plugged it into my DCT internally.....no luck. Maybe it's a bad drive, but the DCT just won't load up. I tried factory reset, calling Cogeco, etc. I stuck back in the WD 250GB and the DCT works fine, but only recognizing 32GB.

I'll play with the new Seagate tonight and see if I just got a bum drive. Moral of the story, Cogeco won't let us use the esata port nor increase the size of our internal drive.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Crazy. I checked the new Seagate drive on my PC and it's fine. Diskcheck, etc, all works. Plug it into the DCT and the DCT won't boot up. Just keep restarting. "8888" and then off, "8888" and then off....

The new Seagate drive and the old one from the DCT are the same model number. One says China, the other says Singapore, so they're not exactly the same. But same model number and the DCT doesn't recognize it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts