Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I just finished my first day with Black Ops on xbox live.

I am disappointed with the Black Ops multiplayer. I find the graphics cartoonish and on par with Call of Duty 3.

The sound effects are weak and not representative of the actual weapons/effects they are supposed to emulate. The game play is nowhere near the polished realism of MW2.

I did find the game fun to play and I do appreciate the new features the game has but I had really hoped Treyarch could have/would have improved their game quality beyond World At War.

Maybe they tried to cram too much into this release and as a result, it seems that the overall gameplay suffers.

My opinion only. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I agree. As a person who dumped WaW pretty much right away to continue playing MW1 and then MW2.. I suppose i blindly jumped into OPS thinking it would be an improvement over MW2..

I did not enjoy the multiplayer of WOW and the sound i did not like either. That cartoony look describes it best... I guess i ignorantly hoped it was MW3 albeit circa coldwar.

ps i realize COD and MW are two different games.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Definitely a step back compared to MW 1&2. It feels like a content and map pack addition to WaW. I'm glad I never traded those in as I can see myself going back to those after I finish the campaign and levelling up on multiplayer. It is still fun, but lacking the fit and finish that Infinity Ward brought to the series.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
How is the campaign? Does it have co-op? I never ever play the CoD series multiplayer so more thinking of buying it for the campaign.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
for sure feels like WaW, but it does hold true to the original series,
and goes to show CoD and MW are 2 different games, under the same name

going to take some getting used to,

no more distance sniping with submachine guns thats for sure,

I do wish the secondary class had shotguns,

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think this game will be more balanced then the boost/glitch fest MW2..but I HATE the sound effects....everything sounds wrong...footsteps..gunfire...air support...grenades/claymores...everything...the graphics are ok..nothing spectacular...only been playing multiplayer...and most of that in combat training to learm maps before doing the real deal

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
sound effects are terrible,
Modern warfare 2 I can pin point people just by sound,
this game can't hear anybody, and who I do hear sounds funny

find like half the people just use ghost and ninja,
listen is half my play style, does not work in this game,
and you can barely see guys on a lot of levels, the camo and blending is so close

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Had some glitchers using some sort of speed boost today. He moved like the flash. MAN I HATE CHEATERS!!! At least we can report people in this game.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
there was another glitch, 1 of my buddies has 20,000 kills already,
he doesn't know why

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
There is a new stat that shows all of your kills/deaths combined with all of the teams you have played with. I thought the same thing when I saw my buddy with 5000 kills already. It might be that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there,

I am actually liking it. I'm playing it on PS3.

Mind you though, I really enjoyed the World at War over MW2. It looks like most people preferred it the other way around.

I have only played Team Deathmatch so far. Thats my favourite.

So far I am pretty happy with it.
I'm amazed at some of the high ranks out there. I saw one player who was already at level 41 I think.

Must be playing non-stop.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There is a new stat that shows all of your kills/deaths combined with all of the teams you have played with. I thought the same thing when I saw my buddy with 5000 kills already. It might be that.
it says hes got 19,XXX kills and 10,XXX deaths on tdm alone

another buddy on ps3 says hes got 5000+ kills already, it too him like a year to get 10,000 on mw2,

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mind you though, I really enjoyed the World at War over MW2. It looks like most people preferred it the other way around.
Not me and none of my numerous friends who are big time COD multiplayer fans......all of us collectively disliked MW2 multiplayer very much and all feel WAW has been the best in the series.

I haven't played COD Black Ops a whole lot yet but I agree with what many are saying so far.....the graphics are nothing great and the sound effects are terrible with stuff like grenades, claymores, etc. I haven't tried the audio tweaks yet to confirm but in the audio settings you can choose how you listen to your game.....quiet or loud. Default is quiet so I'm not sure if that affects the sounds of the items that typically make thunderous noise. I'll try switching it to loud to see if it makes a difference.

So far the most annoying thing is host quality.......90% of the lobbies I get in are lag fests.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
So far the most annoying thing is host quality.......90% of the lobbies I get in are lag fests.
I found the default settings paired you up with people really far away,

I changed to seach setting and my lag problems went away,

you playing on PS3 or 360?, my buddy said PS3 has been terrible, can't get into rooms with his friends, etc

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've had no issues partying up or anything of the sort on the ps3. I have found that the lag has been actually less than what I was getting with MW2, which was very little already, so that is great. Been a pretty good experience so far.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I found the default settings paired you up with people really far away,

I changed to seach setting and my lag problems went away,
I set mine up to search Locale only right after my first two matches (like I do with WAW). Default matchups were awful.......Locale is slightly better but still bad compared to what I'm used to in WAW which was night and day when I tried it today to compare.

you playing on PS3 or 360?, my buddy said PS3 has been terrible, can't get into rooms with his friends, etc

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
had issues today trying to get into a randome free for all game. Took 4 tries before gettin in. After the 3rd try i went and played single player for about an hour then got in on try 4...

Its a busy week i can live with it...

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Check your NAT settings, if your NAT isn't open you'll have serious issues joining lobbies and will get stuck with laggy games.

I like this game, but I don't feel like it's much of a step forward from MW2 (hardly a surprise given that it's Treyarch). The campaign never really grabbed me like MW2 because it didn't feel very fresh. Also, some of the graphics and physics are beginning to look a little dated.

I think Activision could really use a year off of Call of Duty to regroup creatively and build a new game engine. Unfortunately that won't happen as long as it keeps selling like this.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Completely agree with story comment. It feel s like mirror was placed beside the MW2 campaign and they installed a "cold war" feel to it. When I got to the motorbike part during the escape, it felt like a rehashed version of the ski-doo escape in MW2. Very unoriginal, but the multi-player is good, and growing on me more all the time.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts