Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

A quick question about VoD service in Cobourg. I've had these channels available to select on my menu for quite some time now (HD-6412, Digital Select 1, Internet and Phone), but I've not once been able to actually engage a channel. After I press the Enter/OK button, the screen pauses for 5 seconds or so, then reads "This Channel Will Be Available Shortly". THis is the same for all On Demand channels, free, pay, music, or otherwise.

Is there something else I need to do? Do I need to call to activate? The box has been unplugged a time or two in the past three months, so it should have updated if need be...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Cheers...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in Cobourg too; I had the same problem and called in. I was advised to try removing any splitters between the incoming cable and the 6412, as some are not compatible with 2-way data flow. I removed one and the VoD worked, although there is still a 4-way powered splitter/booster in the circuit. VoD doesn't work on my other TV with the non-PVR HD STB, using the Cogeco splitter that came in the box with it.

·
Super Moderator
56,928 Posts
If you have any upstream equipment, it can block the return signal to the head end required for two-way communication (VOD).

Any splitters need to be rated 5-1000MHz and bidirectional. Any other equipment like VCRs or power bars (except those that cost hundreds of $) can also interfere with the return signal and the cable cannot go through those devices.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. It turns out a simple call was all it took. Somehow, my VoD programming was incomplete. A few moments on the phone, and all channels are functioning normally.

Feel kind of silly for not calling earlier, but I just assumed that the programming was just not rolled out yet.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, that makes 3 of us from Cobourg. I have a couple of old DCT1700's and a DCT2224 that work great. VOD is a great feature.

On a side note, my kids (and wife) make me call every 3 months to push Cogeco to get Teletoon Retro. It's the same story, we don't know when you will get it and you will likely know before we do.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
On Demand

I also live in the 'burg and was having problems getting the on Demand services. That problem was also rectified by calling Cogeco CS and they added some code to allow things to work. That was on my old digital cable box.

Made the transition to HD and now all I get (despite numerous calls to CS) is: "This Channel will be available shortly messages". Dispatch is scheduled for this evening.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How's the HD in Cobourg?

Hi everyone, I'm also in Cobourg and considering the switch to all things Cogeco. I currently have an HD Bell PVR, and we love it. However, there are some considerable savings in bundling all my services wih Cogeco. How is the picture quality of the HD on Cogeco compared to Bell? Also, how does the VOD work in Cobourg? I had Cogeco a few years ago, and I don't think it was available back then.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since mid-July Cobourg now has the full package of digital and HD channels from Cogeco. I can't compare the HD quality with Bell, but I find it generally good to excellent - it depends on the quality of the source. VOD works fine, though I rarely find anything I want to watch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd echo martins comments. Overall my picture quality with the HD is VG to E. SOme very minor pixelation from time to time. I wish cogeco would carry the History Channel, Food Network and Space in HD though. Then I'd never go back to the "lower tiers";).

I feel the same way about VOD but have trouble getting an entire movie to play w/o an error.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cobourg HD

I'd like to see CNN and CTV News Channel in HD. Oh, and the Weather Network.

CTV needs to get their act together - they still haven't got their national news in HD, although the local news is. Perhaps Lloyd is too wrinkly. Wasn't he going to retire at the end of 1999? I guess they still haven't found a replacement. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.