Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone like wiremonkey or a tech expert can let me know about this for optik tv. Is ethernet always a better option? Is perfect coax the same thing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It shouldn't really matter as long as it's not twisted. If either type is shielded that's a bonus. Cat 5 might be easier for future proofing as you can you use it to network as well but whatever you have should be fine for Optik.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It shouldn't matter, coax rarely goes bad in a way that would cause issues.

The problems with coax are the ends, splitters and connectors. All ends need to be compression style, in good shape; the only splitters that should be used are the ones Telus provides and all connectors should be the new style (they are dark blue in the middle).

If the installer checks all the ends and is able to find and remove all bad ends, splitters and connectors then it should work just as well as cat5. But that's the tricky part, sometimes that stuff is inside walls (if you have an older house) or if the installer gets lazy and misses some.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had an issue orignially with coax that the TV that was hooked up on a different level in the house would stutter consistantly and everything was slower. Ethernet is better imo, even though technically coax could have 100Mbit throughput. Also Ethernet will be good if the TV you have also has any network connected devices nearby. With the coax connection, you cannot go into a switch afterwards to feed multiple devices, only ethernet can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In reference to DannyCalgary's comments: You can in fact plug a switch into the ethernet port on an STB that is connected with coax and then network your other devices in that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In reference to DannyCalgary's comments: You can in fact plug a switch into the ethernet port on an STB that is connected with coax and then network your other devices in that way.
You can just temporarily use it, or it will cause problem on the STB.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Using the ethernet port on a coax connected STB is a good way to create pixelization troubles for yourself.

If you really needed an ethernet connection in a location that only has coax, you could put the modem at that location (assuming there is a phone jack there) and backfeed the coax to the panel or use an HPNA adapter, to a switch to feed the STB and other devices (but this isn't a preferred method).

·
Registered
130 Posts
So how about this...

I have both Cat5 and Coax available in my Bonus Room. I was originally running cat5 to my 430 but I wanted to use the ethernet to connect a few devices I have there. So I switched to coax and also put a switch to split the cat5 between my TV, Mac mini and PS3.

So here's my question:

Would be better to use coax or use one of the ports in my switch and have it using cat5? I assumed coax would be better because it wouldn't need to rely on a shared cat5... but I'm not sure.

Wiremonkey or other TELUS techs, do you have any preference for one of the two options?

Thanks,

Rod

·
Banned
548 Posts
If the coax in your home is good, preferrable RG6 (RG59 works but RG6 is better IMO), and has home runs to the coax box on the side of your house, or the master jack if you're in a multi-tenent building or complex, then coax should be fine. As stated in a previous post, the connectors, barrels and jacks all have to be compression type, not crimped and they must be wrenched tight. HPNA splitters must be used (provided by TELUS and installed by the tech). HPNa or internet over coax is good to 110 mbps so it works great for Optik as long as all the ends are changed and tight.

IMO an ethernet installation is preferrable if its doable, but it isn't always.

As for that CAT5 line, there will be no problem sharing it between STBs and other items like PCs or Bluray players, PS3s etc. just use a good quality 10/100 switch. My home is wired CAT5 and my STBS are both on switches with other peripherals. My network connections are two stories up from the PVR and I've had NO problems in just about a year of operation.

- another TELUS tech

·
Banned
548 Posts
It shouldn't really matter as long as it's not twisted. If either type is shielded that's a bonus. Cat 5 might be easier for future proofing as you can you use it to network as well but whatever you have should be fine for Optik.
Actually all ethernet runs (like CAT5) must be twisted pair wires. CAT5 is UTP or unshielded-twisted-pairs. Coax is shielded so it doesn't have to be twisted.

A pair is of course two wires. Two parrellel wires act as a very good radio antenna (remember the old FM antennas that came with your stereo tuner, they were two parrellel wires fused in a jacket about 1/2 inch apart and 10 feet long?). ADSL and VDSL, on which Optik runs, is very prone to interferrence from radio stations within its spectrum. Twisted pairs don't work as an antenna so they mitigate the radio interferrence. CAT5 that TELUS uses for Optik installs is the standard CAT5 4 pair, so it has 8 wires in it twisted into 4 pairs.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Wiremonkey.

I have RG6 coax indeed and the TELUS tech installed the coax splitter for me because I mentioned I could switch to coax in the future.

My switch is a D-Link gigabit, so I guess I'm probably good with either option.

Rod

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can just temporarily use it, or it will cause problem on the STB.
If you are not saturating the coax bandwidth, it shouldn't be a problem. I have two comptuers in the basement that are connected to a switch then connect to a STB to share its coax connection. I can push through ~6MB/s of local file transfer to the computer upstairs on coax network without pixelating the live tv on this STB. That is 6MBytes per second. Even if I max out my optik high speed internet, it will never gets anywhere close to 6MB/s. Of course, this is just my results, and everyone's result may vary due to the quality of the coax wiring in your building.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got WDTV boxes daisy-chained to both my STB's. I haven't had any issues.

The one in the basement is a WD TV Live Hub, and there is constant Torrent traffic on the NAS. Still no pixelation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts