Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Helping a friend wire a new house, and we've run several lines of RG6 coaxial to all the rooms. There is about 15 lines in total that all terminate in the basement near the main panel and where cable co's coax comes into the house. Currently there's just 6-7 lines in use, and the cable co has put a few splitters. Is there any sort of proper splitter that can be used for all the lines, like an 8 way or 16 way splitter instead of using a bunch of small ones?

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Every time you split the signal you are losing over half the power (usually 3.5db per outlet) every time the signal gets split. By the time you split your cable signal 16 times, you won't very likely won't have a usable signal left. What you need is a RF Amplified Splitter, which are available in 8/16 port configurations, just google it, you should get lots of results.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I come across 8, 12 and 16 outlet "Strobes" in buildings, they have loss's of approx 8, 12 and 16dB, respectively.

With the addition of an Amplifier, directly on the incoming Cable Co line, it might be possible to achieve an output suitable for your uses.

I think the big problem with the feed from the Cable Co, is that it will be quite low, so amplifying this can also introduce 'noise' into the network. I am sure others with more experience of this area will help out.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
My experience is that multiple two-way splitters tend to be more troublesome than a single multiple port splitter. However, there are other considerations such as signal level to critical devices like as cable modems, which require a high signal level. I this case, I would recommend a high quality 12db-14db gain, two-way distribution amplifier with an 8 way splitter. Terminate any unused lines with a 75 ohm terminator.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. Definitely things I will look into.

There is currently a cable line coming into a 2 way splitter, with one line going to modem, and other going into a few 4 way splitters. I was sure multiple levels of splitters doesn't help the signal, but wasn't sure what would be best for multiple lines.

The other thing I need to find is some sort of patch panel to use with coax/rg6 lines from all the rooms to make it neat/clean like all the ethernet lines that are run & patched close by. I guess no matter what you do you'll have to use RG6 coupler or keystone of some sort if you want to make it neat looking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts