Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting our roof reshingled, and of corse the dish is mounted to the roof on top of the shingles that are going to be replaced.

My question is this. I want to move the dish and mount it on our firplace chimney stack, however if I do this all four coax wires will be about 3 feet short. Is it ok to just extend all four wires the three feet, or do I really need to home run 4 new wires to the switch in the basement?

Thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts
You should be able to add 5 to 10' length and connect them with barrel connectors. its really no different if you have a line going from the dish to a wall outlet and then you patched from the wall to the receiver with a 5 to 10' cord.

just ensure you use good rg6 with some good connectors.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would hesitate putting the extensions at the dish end of the runs. The likelihood of corrosion issues will be higher, requiring another visit to the roof in the future. If there is a way to put the extensions at the switch end and tuck them in from the elements, I would take that approach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
extending cables (outside)

If you have no choice but to add outside, then before you put your barrel connectors on add a little dielectric silicon to ends then put together. After that go to your local auto parts store and ask for the shrink tube that oozes out the rubber when heated. Shrink tube the whole connection. This will out last the cable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help.
Turns out, The new mouning location I chose, and the fact I left extra wire when initially istalled, meant I didn't have to extend them.

I did like the shrink tube, I would have gone with that one, as the wires are between the wals.

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts