Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah CNN HD is here.......But you have to subscribe to CNN SD to get the HD feed. Way to go Shaw Direct!! NOT

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
CNN HD has been available since the beginning of the week. It is being talked about in the 2010 New Channel thread at the top of this Shaw Direct forum.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yeah CNN HD is here.......But you have to subscribe to CNN SD to get the HD feed. Way to go Shaw Direct!! NOT
I can live with that. I assume it is a CRTC thing actually. Used to be we got all HD channels as long as we subscribed to the SD version of the channel. Then they invented the HD EXTRA package and that pretty much ended any new *free* HD channels.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't mind paying for CNN HD...........what I'm peeved about is the pricing structure.
CNN SD is in the "Real Life" package @ $4.99 per month.

So if all you want to watch is CNN you have to fork out $4.99/month to get CNN HD

Also in the same package is the History & Discovery SD channels.
The HD channels are in the HD extra package, which you have to pay for.
But you do not have to subscribe to the SD equivalent, which works out cheaper.

End of rant....lol

·
Registered
783 Posts
I wasn't aware of that. You don't have to subscribe to the SD versions of channels in the HD Extra package? What about the sports HD package?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wasn't aware of that. You don't have to subscribe to the SD versions of channels in the HD Extra package? What about the sports HD package?
No you do not have to subscribe to the SD versions of the channels in the HD Extra Package.

Not sure about the Sports HD.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks PaulC, I'll have to take a look at that.

I wish they would just make the two HD packages "Theme packs" so you could get them as one or two of your packs depending on how many packs you get with your subscription level. That way the larger your subscription, the less you would really be paying for the HD paks as the packs generally become less expensive the more of them you have in your subsciption.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
For HD Sports you have to subscribe to Sports 1 to get any of the channels that are in Sports 1 (The Score, Speed Golf Channel, TSN2). Obviously everyone gets TSN and Sportsnet, and you don't need Big Ten Network SD to get the HD version.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fox News absolutely dominates CNN and all the rest in ratings yet ShawDirect gives us CNN HD:confused: Shaw must think its still 1990.

Cable News Ratings for Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Posted on 08 July 2010 by Bill Gorman

Live + Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for July 07, 2010
P2+ Total Day
FNC – 1,110,000 viewers
CNN – 373,000 viewers
MSNBC – 379,000 viewers
CNBC – 185,000 viewers
HLN – 333,000 viewers

·
Registered
669 Posts
It's a good thing that CNN HD has showed up...

....Now bring us Raptors HD, FoxNews HD & CNBC HD Plus.....

.....of these CNBC HD Plus would be my #1 choice....I've seen it and it's awesome!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Those are American Viewers. I'm willing to bet that far more people in Canada watch CNN over Fox News. I'm sure even MSNBC probably gets more viewers then FOX in Canada.

Also keep in mind that FOX is the only right wing news channel in the states. All of the more liberal news networks (Mainly CNN and MSNBC) split the ratings.

IMO, CNN HD was a good addition to the lineup

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Still waiting on them to add the "new" Movie Network HD channels, having been available for almost a year now.

Good lord, they're slow...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It will be slow until 2012 when they put the new satellite up. There is very limited free transponder space right now for nw channels. You are right though, the subscribers that have the movie package are missing out for sure.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I would think they add more HD as early as next year, as they transition more standard-def channels to 8PSK, and begin "broadcasting" in DVB-S2 for the 6xx receivers.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
When CNN HD first launched, it has limited HD. I've checked every program and I haven't found anything not in real HD.
Besides, upconverted SD would never look that good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts