Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a CM4250 for sale. The person is asking $285 CDN. Is it worth it?

I currently have CM4228. Will this help me get more stable signals?

Here's my way stats:

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
I remember seeing those. They were good antennas. The CM4251 is considered the most powerful UHF antenna ever made and the CM4250 wasn't far behind. (They had the same design but a different size dish.) The biggest issue with these antennas is wind resistance. A neighbour's CM4250 brought their antenna tower down in a wind storm not too long after it was put up. Be prepared to possibly beef up the tower or install guy wires.

From the TV Fool report, it looks like the issue at this location is height. Even the closest stations are 1 edge and most are two edge or Tropo. I would be tempted to get a taller tower and a lighter antenna such as the Antennas Direct 91XG. I would try plugging different heights into TV Fool to see where some of the weaker stations get to be LOS or 1 edge with stronger power levels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember seeing those. They were good antennas. The CM4251 is considered the most powerful UHF antenna ever made and the CM4250 wasn't far behind. (They had the same design but a different size dish.) The biggest issue with these antennas is wind resistance. A neighbour's CM4250 brought their antenna tower down in a wind storm not too long after it was put up. Be prepared to possibly beef up the tower or install guy wires.

From the TV Fool report, it looks like the issue at this location is height. Even the closest stations are 1 edge and most are two edge or Tropo. I would be tempted to get a taller tower and a lighter antenna such as the Antennas Direct 91XG. I would try plugging different heights into TV Fool to see where some of the weaker stations get to be LOS or 1 edge with stronger power levels.
Will the CM4228 not be efficient enough when I do get the height? Is it heavier than 91XG?

I will play with the height like you said and see what I get. Thanks for the info.

In your opinion, is $285 worth it for the CM4250? I will bargain of course

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
The CM4228 is a very good antenna. I haven't done measurements but I suspect it has more wind resistance than 91XG. That shouldn't be an issue with a good tower. Performance for the two antennas should be similar. $285 for the CM4250 seems a bit high but it depends on the condition and whether it can be put to good use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts