Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't used my rotator for a couple of months (being afraid to lose the channel my wife was following daily) but I wanted to see a movie on a channel a few degrees away. I couldn't at first figure out why the signal was not changing. I went out and looked at the roof and the rotator was not moving.
I checked the wiring at the controller end . It was okay and tried a few more times. The antenna started to move a little but was jittering and shaking and only moving a little. After a few more tries I got it to do a full rotation, and still was responding slowly and some more jittering. I would guess it's time to take it down for servicing. `

Now here's the problem. I'm too shaky to go on my own roof anymore , even though it is low slope. I paid a handyman 40 bucks to tighten the cable connection to the antenna the last time I had problems with reception, but he didn't really know anything about OTA or wiring. I would replace the rotator with a new CM rotator if they were still available. I'm sure he could handle that in one trip. Can I buy an RCA rotator and do a swap. or do I need to replace the CM control unit as well?
Laurie in Ladner BC with a DB8e roof mounted antenna on a CM 9521 rotor

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
How old is the CM Rotor?
My experience with the older CM ROTORs outlined here.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is the CM Rotor?
My experience with the older CM ROTORs outlined here.
It looks like the Rotor was bought and installed in 2010 when I went OTA. It has been no trouble since.
I took it down off of the old house and re-installed it with the help of the carpenters when they rebuilt my house 2 years ago. I thought maintenence with the new low pitch roof was going to be easier, but put a few years on me and I'm no longer steady on my feet. A little vertigo.
Handing a working rotor to a handy man to swap out, would be easiest, and I could lubricate the sticky one on the workbench, and maybe later install it on my other fixed antenna.
I remember seeing a posting on the repair of a rotator. I guess that would be yours. I'll check it out.
Thanks majortom. You've been a great help to me for past repairs.
Laurie in Ladner

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
dug up my very first rotor post here, that looks to be when I first got it, wow time flies...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts