Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing my Panasonic DLP (five years old) and am considering either an LED and Plasma (Samsung or Panasonic). I love the colour my DLP gives me and was wondering which type would be the closest to matching it, the LED or Plasma?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No expert here, but I'd stick with LED or LCD for a 1080 TV and to save energy at the same time. I think plasma may give a more brilliant image, but they do consume more energy than LED. To future proof it (a bit), I'd spend money on an Internet connected model (e.g. if you are interested in Netflix built in to the TV).

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I still won't touch an LCD panel. The closest one to plasma is the upcoming Sony HLX929 series with full LED array backlighting. Still I see quite an apparent halo-effect on the display.

I'd go with a Panasonic plasma and wait for the upcoming 3DTV (to be released around summer), even if you don't use the 3D feature, the 2D performance is almost like Pioneer-Kuro.

disclaimer: I'm a plasma guy. Have tried various LCD (including top of the line 909 series from Sony -- which costs more than a plasma --) and I still prefer plasma by far.
The only thing LCD in my house is my front projection... and that's only because I'm waiting to save money to get a DLP LED front projector by Runco.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
A good place to start is here, http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=hdr;snav

Then here, http://www.hometheater.com/equipment-reviews

and then here, http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/category/site-channel/tests-reviews/hdtvs/projectors

Give yourself information overload. There is a lot to be known in this ever changing market and it is best to know as much as you can.

I am an LED LCD guy (I have a Samsung 55a950 of which I have only seen less than a handful of sets beat), but would only go with full array local dimming backlit. Edge lit is atrocious. As David said, the new Sony will give you the best led lcd picture, but a lot of last years gear is going to be coming up on clearance as the new models roll in. I would suggest looking at the Sony 909, LG 8/9500.

There is also the used market where major, MAJOR deals are to be had. Hit up kijiji, craiglist and even Canuck Audio Mart (they have some tvs on there) and you might find a gem for a lot less. I am still searching for a Samsung 55b8500, probably the best local dimming full array led lcd produced to date.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Plasma's will give you the best overall PQ bar none.

LED/LCD will give you a more of an artificial PQ as were plasma will give you a more natural PQ. I own both techs, I have seen top of the line LED's and they do not compare to plasma's. Now you will get people on here that love that retina burning artificial PQ look of an LED/LCD and that's fine, each to our own but to get that true to life PQ, plasma is the way to go . I got friends and family that all own LED/LCD TV's some have top of the line units and some don't but when they come over and view my calibrated plasma, they all want to take it home with them and/or they tell me there next tv will be a plasma lol no lie. Plasma's in store do not show there true beauty either, you cannot judge a plasma in-store, once you get a plasma home that's when you truly see the beauty of the tech.

Believe it or not the Futureshop up my way, all the salesman push Plasma's over LED, not because there trying to get rid of them but because they are overall better and that usually is not the norm when you walk into a big box store. They are usually pushing the LED/LCD's on customers but this is not the case at the Futureshop by my way.

Roxton2010 said:
I love the colour my DLP gives me and was wondering which type would be the closest to matching it, the LED or Plasma?
BTW DLP is the 3rd rated tech and most LED/LCD and Plasma HDTV's will have better color.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Plasma's will give you the best overall PQ bar none.

LED/LCD will give you a more of an artificial PQ as were plasma will give you a more natural PQ. I own both techs, I have seen top of the line LED's and they do not compare to plasma's. Now you will get people on here that love that retina burning artificial PQ look of an LED/LCD and that's fine, each to our own but to get that true to life PQ, plasma is the way to go . I got friends and family that all own LED/LCD TV's some have top of the line units and some don't but when they come over and view my calibrated plasma, they all want to take it home with them and/or they tell me there next tv will be a plasma lol no lie. Plasma's in store do not show there true beauty either, you cannot judge a plasma in-store, once you get a plasma home that's when you truly see the beauty of the tech.
In your opinion.

You are generalizing way too much by saying that plasmas give you the best picture because most of them other than the high mid to top ones are no better than regular and led lcds. You should really be saying top plasmas, not just plasmas. A few friends of mine have mid to low end plasmas that I help set up (as best I could) and they are mediocre at best. Extremely limited picture controls. Just like everything, you get what you pay for. Get a cheap tv, get a cheap picture.

When a local dimming full array led lcd is set up nicely/properly/calibrated (my picture is about the same light output as most set up plasmas I have seen), it gets rid of the "retina burning" artificial pq. Read some of the reviews on local dimming full array led lcd from the sites I have listed above and see that Samsung and LG have some sets that are as good at reproducing natural looking colours than virtually all but the creme de la creme of plasmas, the Pioneer Elite.

I would gather most of your friends did little research and bought the edge lit leds and just fire their set up without touching any of the picture controls so no wonder your calibrated set looks good compared to their vivid store mode.

My biggest gripe against plasmas is that you have to be aware of image retention and potential burn in. 90% of my viewing is letterbox movies and gaming. I don't want to have to run hours of alternating content just to make sure that I don't get ir/bi. If I want to watch the whole Lord of the Rings ext. edition trilogy in one sitting, I don't want to have to watch one then waste time and power to run a few hours of non-letterbox content before I go to the next one. I have seen plasmas when they are not exercised properly and it sucks for those who have to deal with these issues. I just want to have a worry free screen, not one I have to take of.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
BTW DLP is the 3rd rated tech and most LED/LCD and Plasma HDTV's will have better color.
I'm sorry but that's just not true. DLP is just a chockload of mirrors. The colour accuracy is based on the colour wheel and/or the light source. DLP projectors from InFocus, at least some models, are pretty much D65 out of the box. The same goes with 3-LED DLP (no colour wheel) Runco/Vivitek projectors (they are slightly out of D65 but calibration is easy due to the virtually perfect gamma and even distribution from 30 to 70 IRE).

The only "problem" with DLP is that some people can see the rainbow effect. Even with 3-LED DLP I still see slight rainbow effect. However, once you go to 3-chip DLP, it's heaven and the colour accuracy is top notch.

(this is coming from a NON-DLP guy)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not going to get into any arguments here but I standby my previous post.

Fact is LED/LCD's do have an artificial PQ to them calibrated or not, some see it some do not but it is there.

Fact is Plasma"s do have a more natural film like PQ to them.

Again I own both techs and I understand people are going to like what they like. LED's do look good but any true videophile knows top of the line plasma's have a more true to life PQ to them period. Enjoy your LED eimaj , I enjoy mine but it doesn't touch my plasma. Also your statement about cheap plasma's , a lot of them do look better than some of the top LED's once calibrated.

You see this part of your post about burn in and IR gets me miffed off, your the reason people are scared off plasma's when this really is not an issue anymore. Yes there can be IR and yes there can be burn in but burn in is a very rare occurrence nowadays and watching letterboxed content with black bars is also a non issue for plasma's.

We could argue back and forth on this but I'm done in here lol.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I for one never own any other plasma than Fujitsu (my first plasma) and Pioneer Elite (the rest of my plasma). Not once I get IR, let alone burn-in, on any of my plasma. not even on my daughter's 50" Elite Kuro (first gen, 720p) and she plays Wii hours at a time.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Fact is LED/LCD's do have an artificial PQ to them calibrated or not, some see it some do not but it is there.
Again you are generalizing. Not every single led lcd is like this. You need to see a calibrated/optimized Samsung a950, Sony xbr8, Samsung b8500 or LG 8/9500 (the b8500 I have yet to see, but reviewers have said this set offers reference colour...doesn't get much better than that). Any of these tvs set up properly rival plasmas "natural" look.

LED's do look good but any true videophile knows top of the line plasma's have a more true to life PQ to them period. Enjoy your LED eimaj , I enjoy mine but it doesn't touch my plasma. Also your statement about cheap plasma's, a lot of them do look better than some of the top LED's once calibrated.
You nailed it here. Top of the line plasmas, not every line plasmas. I love top of the line plasmas, but they do not suit my, and many others, needs for issues I have mentioned.

You see this part of your post about burn in and IR gets me miffed off, .
Same for me with sweeping comments such as led lcd looks artificial. Not all of them do, just like not all plasmas have a great picture.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Plasma.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Plasmas do have the best looking picture, but ONLY if they are in a darkened room. If the room is brightly lit they can get "washed out", espescially if you're unfortunate enought to have a window facing the TV.

I don't believe plasma burn in problems are relevent any longer. Most plasmas sold today are not subject to burn in images like the previous generations of plasmas technology. They do still use considerably more energy than either LCD or LED, with LED being the most frugal energy consumers.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
LCD's get washed out too if they use a glass screen.... amazed at the amount of misinformation out there haha

LCD's tend to preform better in bright light is because they can compensate by being even brighter (as they can be brighter then most plasmas. )

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

I have a 50" Samsung plasma in my living room that gets direct sunlight coming in. I have the TV set up for a day mode and a night mode. The Daymode is plenty fine for watchable images with that same sun coming in.

Burn in issues are not a thing of the past ... as it is uneven wear. Like using only the right side of a car tire ... think it will cause the left side tread of the same wheel to wear?

The TVs are more robust but people still have to treat the displays responsibly. I still see sets with 4:3 bars burned in after 3 months of use on new sets ... because the owners just didn't know any better and who reads the owners manual these days? Tell those owners that burn in is a thing of the past.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
As the owner of a Samsung LED-DLP, if you can find a used one, do it! My buddy has an LG 60" plasma that looks great, my mom has a "42 Samsung plasma, and my dad has a 55" Sony LCD.

The plasmas do seem to "POP" more than the DLP but then I watch a dark scene in a movie and see way more details on my TV than any of the others. That may be more of a setup issue, but running through the very basic THX setup screens on a starwars disc is a breeze on the DLP. While the plasmas I've adjusted seem to require more finesse to get anywhere close to the DLPs performance.

Anybody ever gone to the movies? You're watching a DLP... :D

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Different beast. Commercial theatres use 3-chip DLP that has better blacks than regular single-chip DLP, far better and accurate colour rendition, and zero rainbow effect.

For front projectors, I'd choose 3-chip DLP. But for regular TV I'd choose plasma over rear-projection anything, let alone single chip DLP

d

1 - 17 of 17 Posts