Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not new and feel free to move it or join it to another thread. Is there any and movement on Shaw fixing the closed caption problem on the Moto DCT 34XX pvr? To have to shut the unit down and then enable CC is retarded. In this day and age it does not make any sense that it can be impossible to fix this. The new Shawdirect PVR claims it can do it. Why can't these units. Any idea if the most recent released PVR will swap the CC on the fly?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You can't just use the closed captioning built in to the TV? I beiieve all tvs since about 1990 or so have it built in.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
At this time even with the latest guide update the only way to turn on the CC is like you said. Turn off the box enable the CC then turn the box back on.
I feel your frustration. Its a very bad setup. I reckon when they designed it they thought for people who need it will turn it on once and leave it.

For CC to work through the TV it will only work when the signal is 480i. 720 or 1080 the tv can not process the CC.

Maybe the next firmware fix. Do not hold your breath though. I doubt its even close to the top of the list of things to change.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Another thing you have to remember is that the closed captioning option is enabled through the DCT itself using the factory interface (Motorola/Pace) where as all other guide screen use the Preview interface. in order to get a Preview Guide screen to talk to the Factory guide screen you would have to get some sort of program to be able to talk to 2 different interfaces from 2 different companies.

I feel your pain as having to turn of the DCT all the time to enable/disable closed captioning is a royal pain in the butt however 2 seperate companies would have to be involved in coming up with an innovation to correct this and likely each is happy with the one they have now as it works they intend it to work using their interface (regardless if it also uses another compabies interface in another area as well.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I haven't needed CC, but I can imagine how happy one would be when they want to turn the CC on, only they have something recording. So unless they want to cancel the recording, they can't turn off the box to enable CC. Awesome...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Too difficult for many people

I haven't needed CC, but I can imagine how happy one would be when they want to turn the CC on, only they have something recording. So unless they want to cancel the recording, they can't turn off the box to enable CC. Awesome...
Exactly, antonk! It is definitely an inconvenience when I discover I don't have the captions turned on, but have something recording. I don't wish to leave them on all the time.

Also, it involves quite a few actions to turn them on and off. Such information isn't readily available and often people who need the captions are up in years. Either they don't know how, or if they are shown, often can't remember all the steps involved.

I frequently get phone calls for help and I have sometimes handed out printed instructions to friends with hearing difficulty. Not a good situation.

What good is a ruling that closed captions must be provided, if it is too difficult to turn them on and off? Even for standard definition channels, where the captions can be turned on without turning off the TV, many TV manufacturer's remotes do not have one dedicated button for this. Instead, people have to venture into menus, sometimes through several levels of options.

There is lots of room for improvement!

meshmellow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts