Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9241 is not displaying the closed captioning properly all the time.

Sometimes there is just a line and no text, other times the text is lacking spaces, same text line is repeated for several scenes, and still other times there will be three lines of text with the middle line blank.

Also, if I replay a scene it is not always the same text that is problematic.

Using HDMI and component cables both have same issues.

I have tried "provider" and custom settings for closed captioning - both have the same issue.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Try unplugging your receiver for a minute or two and see if that helps. I don't have your particular model but I often have to reset my older receivers for the same problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interestingly enough, I also seem to have some problems with CC, and this is with both of my 6131's, so it doesn't seem to be receiver related as far as I can tell, since you get it with a different receiver model. It used to work fine when my system was installed last January, but after a software update (think it was March/April), the problems started. I have hestitated to contact Bell, since they probably wouldn't be able to help anyway. (I use HDMI)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Just dont watch the DV Channels.

As far as I know, they are all duplicates of other channels anyway, arn't they.?

·
Banned
262 Posts
Pinza, reading your post, I just realized that the Dv at the end of the lower stations actually meant described video. I'm fairly new to Bell TV, having moved out of Rogers territory, and they didn't have those duplicates. Thanks for mentioning.

Cheers. :D

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Just as an FYI, on the Rogers STBs you invoke DV via a setting in the STB for those programmes that have it.

As for the CC issues, contact your provider, or better yet the station providing the programme. CC is a Canadian requirement and it should come across properly. I use it occasionally on Rogers and it displays properly almost 100% of the time.

I did notice that the High Fidelity channel programmes often don't have CC - don't know how they get away with that - perhaps that type of programming doesn't require it (Treasure, Oasis, etc). Make sure that the CC settings in the STB are set to "default" (or whatever is appropriate for the STB) so that they display appropriately. I know that if you muck about in the CC settings without knowing exactly what you're doing, it can cause problems. That's why a reboot can often solve the problem.

The connection to the TV shouldn't matter since, in this case, the STB is doing the CC and the CC is then part of the video signal sent to the TV, no matter what connection is used.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Pinza, reading your post, I just realized that the Dv at the end of the lower stations actually meant described video. I'm fairly new to Bell TV, having moved out of Rogers territory, and they didn't have those duplicates. Thanks for mentioning.

Cheers. :D
To avoid confusion with a lot of customers I hide all channels below #199, especially if the Customer does not want to see dozens of French Channels that they will never watch. This also has the effect of hiding all the DV Channels too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Driving me nuts!!

Being hearing impaired, I am dependent on captions to assist me in corectly interpreting the audio, and so I am always attempting to read the latest words on the screen.

As a legal requirement, the stations do an excellent job of providing these so there is no issue with the providers, and I have never had a problem with the passed thru captions of the legacy receivers.

Today I had a 9241 installed, and rolling captions on the HD channels are not displaying correctly but the same captions on the SD version of the channel display fine. This is both using HDMI and Composite

Here's the problem:
The caption consists of 2 or 3 lines of rolling output with the latest word added to the end of the bottom line, BUT the characters on the bottom line are not all completely formed and the missing parts only fill in when the line rolls up to the second or top line.

This makes it impossible and mentally exhausting to try and read and keep up with the live dialog.

Since this happens with all the HD channels, Canadian, US and Cable, and does not happen with SD channels it is not a provider problem.

Its unbelievable to me that a "BUG" of this type would not have been fixed in a receiver that has been around for years, and since I see no other similiar posts on any forum, I have to assume that the receiver is defective.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have a similar problem with BOTH of my 6131 receivers, although I even have some problems with the SD channels as well. Also, the quality of captions varies from day to day. I had contemplated calling customer support, but since I understand they are based overseas, my assumption is that they would be unable to address the problem. By the way, signal strength is NOT an issue, and I am getting close to 100%.

There are various reasons why I will be dropping Bell when my contract expires next winter, and this is one of them.(Eastlink used to have CC issues, but I understand that they have addressed those problems, and the last time I was over at my friend's place, his Eastlink box was displaying the captions perfectly. This rules out the providers, so the problem lies squarely with Bell.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think this is an erratic problem which can happen due to the quality of the source signal or encoding. This problem is very specific to the bottom line of rolling captions on HD Channels on my 9241. It always happens and it happens on every HD channel. It does not happen with rolling captions on SD channels or with Fixed captions on HD or SD.

Fixed captions are those where the whole caption line(s) appear at once, and are replaced by the next set of whole caption line(s) on a subsequent frame.

Rolling captions are those where the letters appear as they are typed on the bottom line and when the line is full it rolls up and a new bottom line gets typed.

The HD problem is that the letters on the bottom line are not completely formed until the line rolls up so it is gibberish and cannot be read.

I would appreciate it if a few of you who read this would do the following test to confirm if this happens on your receiver, and post your results.

Tune in CBC Newsworld on HD (1564) and then tune in CBC Newsworld on SD (502). The recall button will now swap between them. Observe a rolling caption on SD. It will be fully formed on the bottom line as it is typed. Now swap to HD and see if the bottom line is fully formed, or if the letters are broken up.

On my 9241, the HD letters are broken. I'd like to know what others get on their 9241, 6100 and 6130's.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Just as an FYI, I tuned into Ch. 544 on Rogers, CBCNN-HD (News Network) and the rolling captions are just fine on my SA8300HD. The CBCNN-HD feed is therefore OK. Have you rebooted your 9241?

·
Registered
94 Posts
On my 9241, the HD letters are broken. I'd like to know what others get on their 9241, 6100 and 6130's.
Have you tried changing the closed captioning provider? Maybe changing that will help.

Also, what are your settings for Closed Captioning? Go through the Closed Captioning menus and post what you have everything set on, and maybe someone can repeat the problem and find a work around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
57 & Princie1:

Thanks for the Rodgers Info. Confirms it is not the provider.

Power off the box and back on makes no difference.
Changing Caption Service from 1 simply turns captions off. Those "channels' are intended for captions in different languages but I've never seen them used.

I really need the tests done on other users boxes to determine if my 9241 is defective. Its simple to turn on and off :-(
Menu/8/6/Left/Select/select/cancel/cancel/cancel. !!
Who the heck designs these things. My TV has a CC button!!

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I asked whether you rebooted - that usually means you unplug the STB for a few seconds (after turning it off and making sure it's not recording), not simply turn it off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 9241 does the same thing, although I used TSN 400/1400 as my test channels. I did get CC on Service 0 and 1 but both were corrupt. All other settings were default. Didn't bother to reboot.

Kevin

·
Registered
232 Posts
Appears to be fine here on my 9241. I think all my caption settings are at default since I never had a reason to change them. Output resolution set to 720p.

Actually that does appear to be the deciding factor. Set your box to 720p (no benefit to 1080i since Bell converts everything down anyway). They are corrupted at 1080i.

As you say, the SD channel is fine upconverted to either res though.

EDIT: Or not. Now when I switched back to 720p, my HD captions are corrupted too. Thanks a lot, haha! Maybe rebooting or clearing NVRAM would fix it again.

Edit 2... Setting to 720p and then rebooting did fix it again. As in, holding down the power button for several seconds until it turns off and then starts booting again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beats Me!!

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

Yes 57, I did unplug for 30 seconds. I assumed the 9241 was the same as my legacy boxes and only goes into standby with the front buttons.

Re 1080i/720p I found it made no difference.

But now the strange news. This afternoon the box rebooted by itself twice. I don't know if this is normal or not. And then the scrolling captions were fine for an hour or so but it did not last.

I'd still like a few more to confirm they have the specific problem on the 9241 that I documented above..namely the incomplete (missing parts of the bottom of some letters on the last line), which then complete when the line scrolls up.
Also what do the 6100 and 6130 do. I need a box that works correctly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You never said whether you attempted what resolved the problem for me. Specifically, set it to 720p and then reset following Page 12-8 of the manual.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I already posted in this thread earlier, to let folks be aware that this problem is NOT limited to the 9241, but is present in BOTH my 6131s as well. However, the erratic behavior of the captions on mine behave differently than yours, and appears on all channels, both SD and HD. I can get several sentences in a row where everything works fine, then it can skip a whole sentence, or words or single letters. Also, the captions can be known to shift position on the screen, and change font as well.

My signal strength is close to 100%, so that is not the issue. I have tried rebooting the boxes, and have tried connecting via HDMI (my usual way), as well as through component.

Actually, I think my problems started a year or so ago, after a software upgrade.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts