Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 1765 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
So after doing some reading on this gate way i see that you must have a network outlet by tv, is this correct ? This system does not use coax except to main unit ?
From the Moxi Website:

For Multi–Room Connectivity
A wired home network router connected to both your Moxi HD DVR and your Moxi Mate. If you don't have an ethernet connection near your Moxis, you can use Powerline A/V or MoCA adapters for connectivity.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
As I was saying back in post #84 the gateway is NOT the Moxi HDPVR it is not the same box, the working insides are different. The gateway contains a phone terminal + battery backup, a DOCSIS 3 modem and hard drive. Most people who have Shaw phone have the phone terminal installed out the way, usually in basement. This is where the gateway will go if feasible. Running coax using MOCA filters each tv will have A HD portal/ HD player. There is no effect on home Internet speeds when tv's are turned on.

We will have to wait and see on pricing. The best of something usually has a price tag to match eh :) not long to go now.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
So, if I am understanding what has been said correctly so far, the new gateway will be mounted at the cable entry point and each tv will need a portal to connect to it. The portals connect via coax and the Arris network must be separate from a regular cable network if you still want to use the equipment Shaw uses now as well. This could mean having to run a second coax to each TV for those who want to keep their current equipment but perhaps that would not be so practical.

I am left thinking Shaw is going to need to present a 'trade-in' offer to everyone who has already heavily invested in the current technology, like me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There is no issue in having the new Arris equipment in the home alongside existing digital equipment. There is no second line needed. A MOCA filter can be placed at the outlet (behind the wall plate or after) that would have any older equipment. The MOCA filter is about just over an inch in length. The Gateway can be positioned by the TV too. Only the Arris equipment will have the updated MOXI guide and the whole home ability.

·
Registered
956 Posts
As I was saying back in post #84 the gateway is NOT the Moxi HDPVR it is not the same box, the working insides are different. The gateway contains a phone terminal + battery backup, a DOCSIS 3 modem and hard drive. Most people who have Shaw phone have the phone terminal installed out the way, usually in basement. This is where the gateway will go if feasible. Running coax using MOCA filters each tv will have A HD portal/ HD player. There is no effect on home Internet speeds when tv's are turned on.

We will have to wait and see on pricing. The best of something usually has a price tag to match eh :) not long to go now.
Ok. Fair enough, I missed that previous post.

I'm always an 'early adopter'...DCT6412 @ $700, PS3 at $650...dummy.

Don't think I'll bite this time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
DLNA

I watched the Arris video. I've got 3 DLNA TV's and all are equipped with WiFi dongles. Does it mean that I only need one box, and the other TVs can just pull the HD TV live from the main box?

Either way, I've held off investing in HD equipment for over a year, it looks like it may have been worth the wait!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seems like a cool system especially if it does DLNA well. But the interface is key, that is where Telus shines now. 6 tv's is killer, beats Telus, but I am not sure where the bandwidth is coming from, maybe it only pulls those channels that it needs?

The price is where it is going to fall down though, my switch to Telus cost me $450 in total for 5 TV's, I used one of my XBOX. $600 for just the gateway, and $299 for each tv, that's steep

·
Banned
12 Posts
Here is some answers to some of the questions:

- The mates go on each tv. They are fanless as mentioned in a previous post. They don't need a fan as the only real component that generates heat is the power supply. Other traditional boxes require fans because PVR's have spinning hard drives that generate alot of heat. The Gateways that will most likely be located in the basement or somewhere else will have a fan in it. There are no video or audio output ports on that box, and is meant to be the central device in this architecture.
- Moca runs slightly over 1 Ghz in the spectrum, and has a Bandwidth capacity on the Coax of up to 400 Mbps. That is the advantage this technology has over telus. Since HD signals in Mpeg2 at most are roughly between 14-18 Mbps, you can easily stream out 6 HD channels at the same time without bandwidth issues.
- Internet is not affected, as there are seperate carriers that your modem locks in that are dedicated. Same with Digital Phone, it is a seperate managed network that is not affected by this.
- There was questions about how the network is created. It uses your In home coax wiring. no additional wiring. All other devices connected via coax outside of these Shaw gateway and mates will have a MoCa filter so that those devices don't interfere with eachother. Modems, Moto set tops, Pace set tops will have the MoCa filter that will allow passthrough up to 1 Ghz and not over.
- In actuality, this system can perform up to 9-12 Actions. That can be a combination of recording and watching at the same time. As an example, you could be recording 6 shows, and watch seperate recordings at the same time. limitation there will be the read/write speeds of the hard drive. That completely leapfrogs what Telus can do.
- There hasn't been anything mentioned about price, however the pricing that is available on the Moxi website should not be compared. The Cable version of the product is completely different from a hardware perspective. Also to note that the moxi website is a retail box that is sold at Best Buy in the US, and doesn't have a high penetration in the market, therefore it is priced higher. Also to note that the Retail version of the gateway is dual purposed and has video/audio outputs. In the cable version, the gateway is the aggregate device between the players.
- Expanders can be used as mentioned up to 6 TB. The default hard drive in the system has a higher capacity than Telus's default.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaw Employee - Opinions are my own.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A question to the very helpful Shaw employees that are coming on this board:

Do you yet have much information on how this will interface with existing PC's in the house? And how about any other devices (gaming systems, mobile devices, etc)?

I ask because currently 2 of our PC's have TV turner cards and act as our PVR's, and then we have an extender on 1 TV that connects to my wife's computer and an XBox 360 on the second TV that I use in extender mode to connect to my computer. I believe, however, that the tuner cards will become useless as the tuners are dual NTSC and Clear QAM. Obviously I won't need them as PVRs anymore; but I would miss being able to have the hockey game in a window in the corner of the screen while getting my work done, I'd also miss being able to stream the game to a remote device when I'm not near a TV, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to stream my own content from the PC's to the Arris system and forego the extenders. I see that Arris states that PC interface is an option and I did have a Shaw agent mention a couple of weeks ago that the new system was expected to interface with PCs.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I would say at this time the hardware is capable of interfacing with a PC, how this will look and work out we will have to wait and see. I honestly doubt tuner cards would work due to the MOCA set up in conjunction with the way the equipment is IP based. The MOXI software that runs on equipment in the US has a feature called PC Link.

For the question earlier about DLNA; A DLNA Certified DVR will be able to function as a Digital Media Player (DMP), Digital Media Server (DMS) or both.
As a DMP, the DVR will be able to find photos and videos from other DLNA Certified devices and play them on your TV. As a DMS, it can send the videos recorded on its hard drive to other DLNA Certified devices in your home.

In the Arris case I would assume as I do not have final answer, again just being honest with you guys that it would be DMP and not DMS. You will need equipment (arris) on each tv to do the whole home solution. This is best educated guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reading through all of this, I'm getting the impression that although it uses MOCA technology to communicate through coax, it may also be able to connect through Cat5. Is that correct?

If so, that increases the value of this to me as I have one coax and one Cat5 to each TV location for my networked video. If I can keep my networked video on the Coax line then I can take my time buying the portals to upgrade the video quality, but still have the ability to tap into the other central video sources.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is some answers to some of the questions:

- Moca runs slightly over 1 Ghz in the spectrum, and has a Bandwidth capacity on the Coax of up to 400 Mbps. That is the advantage this technology has over telus. Since HD signals in Mpeg2 at most are roughly between 14-18 Mbps, you can easily stream out 6 HD channels at the same time without bandwidth issues.
I meant bandwidth outside the house.

Using Moca wouldn't be an advantage over Telus since Telus also uses Moca when needed, but use CAT5 mostly.

Also wouldn't the preference be to use Cat5 if available in the house to reduce the Ethernet to Moca conversion.

The 6 TV's running different programs at the same time is a huge advantage for people who have that quantity of hardware.

·
Banned
12 Posts
I meant bandwidth outside the house.

Using Moca wouldn't be an advantage over Telus since Telus also uses Moca when needed, but use CAT5 mostly.

Also wouldn't the preference be to use Cat5 if available in the house to reduce the Ethernet to Moca conversion.

The 6 TV's running different programs at the same time is a huge advantage for people who have that quantity of hardware.
Hi johnsona0,

I don't see how bandwidth outside the house is relevent here. It's not like telus where you have 25 Mbps coming into the home that is shared between TV and Internet. With Telus you are receiving the multicast join and bitrate associated to it on the wire only apon request. Technically speaking, when you are joining the multicast group, you aren't getting every single channel at once coming in (it's a 1 to 1 relationship). With Cable, you are getting every single channel/carrier available on the wire. Bandwidth concerns only apply when shaw wants to add more channels (HD or SD).

The box is capable of running MoCa over Cat5, coax or even the built in wireless N, but there hasn't been anything mentioned if those features will be enabled at launch date.
Also it would depend on the setup. This box eventually could replace a cable modem, Phone modem and Wireless router in the home to be an all in one box that provides all services. That is speculation, but realistically makes sense as it does have all that functionality built into it.

I agree with Shaw_Champ that the box today as a minimum supports DMP, where the Server would be on the PC. It is very much like a PS3. The PS3 can't stream content out from it to clients, but can receive content from a UPNP serving device.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaw Employee - Opinions are my own.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I agree with Shaw_Champ that the box today as a minimum supports DMP, where the Server would be on the PC. It is very much like a PS3. The PS3 can't stream content out from it to clients, but can receive content from a UPNP serving device.
Since this device contains a lot of video (because it's a PVR) shouldn't it serve that video to other devices on the network? If it want to be useful, that is.

·
Banned
12 Posts
A client must be available by ARRIS to do exactly that. That means each hardware device would need to have a client (different cell phone manufactures, Windows, MAC OSX). Also, that specific client would need some DRM rules applied to the PVR content to prevent copying, screen scrapping. After all, the copyright rights are still owned by the broadcasters.

If you are talking about making a device act like a mate, i honestly don't think that will happen. What i mean by this is being able to watch live TV and such on a device. Media room and Xbox work together because they are made by the same company (Microsoft).
To be honest, that support is a cool feature.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
ShawGuy2011 said:
Also, that specific client would need some DRM rules applied to the PVR content to prevent copying, screen scrapping. After all, the copyright rights are still owned by the broadcasters.
This is a pretty weak argument. If DRM was a concern, then you wouldn't see broadcasters provide unencrypted OTA signals.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Rules are different when it applies to MSO's. That is why content is encrypted on PVR hard drives, and why MSO's can't freely record content from broadcast in an NPVR model and replay back to customers. Even today there are battles being fought and slowly won with MSOs being able to provide an RSDVR model to their customers. From an online perspective, streaming has some form of DRM around it. Global, TSN etc. wouldn't stream HD content to a client in the clear without some form of encryption/DRM. People still find ways around to rip and obtain the content regardless, which usually end up on torrent sites anyways.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
ShawGuy2011 said:
Rules are different when it applies to MSO's.
Where are these rules documented, and who makes the rules? Citation please.

Does it concern Shaw that being DRM free makes OTA broadcasts more attractive than the same TV channels provided by Shaw? For example, the Global HD OTA signal is more useful than the Global HD signal via Shaw. Indeed, this is why I no longer subscribe to Shaw's cable service. Their analog cable service was useful because I was free to do what I wanted with the content. $80/month for locked down HD video content is a pretty tough sell, and Shaw's service became a lot less interesting.

If Shaw simply provided a gateway device that was a signal decryption device and converted encrypted-QAM to unencrypted-QAM (and would still prevent people from "stealing cable"), then a device as simple as a HDHomeRun would be much more interesting than this ARRIS gateway.

Edit: I don't know what some of the acronyms you are using mean, and using "define:" via Google doesn't help me with some of them.

MSO = multisystem cable operator
NPVR = Network PVR (where the hard drive exists in your cableco's data center)
RSDVR = ?

·
Banned
12 Posts
When i made a reference to DRM and such, the channels extend to more than just OTA. There are specialty channels, PPV services, multicultral channels etc. that are all being brodcasted and are paid services. Agreements/Contracts would be in place, unfortunatly citations can't be made as you can imagine that is a legal matter.

NPVR = Network Personal Video Recorder as you mentioned
RSDVR = Remote Storage Digital Video Recorder.

The difference between the two is how the content is stored, and how it is served to customers. In an NPVR model, its a one copy to many (which right now broadcasters are adament on not allowing anyone to do this). RSDVR which recently a cable company in the US won a court battle basically is the same as NPVR, however it differes where each customer has a copy of the same broadcast feed. In short, every customer has remote storage, so you can imagine how many petabytes of storage would be at the datacenter level(1 to 1 relationship).

101 - 120 of 1765 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.