Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Nearly two years later........

Whatever happened to this? I'm just wondering since someone brought it up in conversation a few days ago and I had forgotten all about it. I do remember it making the nighttime newscasts that night and was a big story.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The article states that they would try to submit another suit based on the judge's remarks. Did they do so, and what happened to the second suit?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wonder if these lawsuits over system access fees are the reason that Bell Mobility is raising their system access fee from 6.95 /mo to 8.95 /mo?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I don't think that's the reason. I'd just attribute it to simple GREED.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
unbelievable, that's 28% increase of system access fee.

what else in our daily life that increases 28% without an outcry?
Real estate.

In fact, in another thread here, people are gloating about increases in excess of 28%.

At least the people who are owners are pleased, as are the mobile phone companies.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just to clarify the saf is charged to cover system upgrades like the evdo technology that bell and telus currently have...and for rogers the saf covers new towers and technology like the HSDPA network that is rolling out nationwide in Febuary. Just to note you also pay digital access fees with cable companies, satalitte providers, hydro companies charge massively for taxes and hydro plant upgrades and home phone companies also charges SAF fees though most of them hide it in their monthly prices.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Just to note you also pay digital access fees with cable companies, satalitte providers, hydro companies charge massively for taxes and hydro plant upgrades and home phone companies also charges SAF fees though most of them hide it in their monthly prices.
In plain English, they're being honest and quoting the true cost to you up front. You only have to pay PST on top of their bill. The phone companies advertise $25 per month entry-level plans. Then you get your bill and you find an extra $8.75/month "access fee" plus a 75 cent "911 fee". That used to be called outright lying in a more moral time. There's no problem with advertising and charging $34.50 a month plus PST. It's when you advertise $25/month plus PST, and charge $34.50 a month plus PST, that people get pissed off.

·
Registered
961 Posts
In plain English, they're being honest and quoting the true cost to you up front. You only have to pay PST on top of their bill. The phone companies advertise $25 per month entry-level plans. Then you get your bill and you find an extra $8.75/month "access fee" plus a 75 cent "911 fee". That used to be called outright lying in a more moral time. There's no problem with advertising and charging $34.50 a month plus PST. It's when you advertise $25/month plus PST, and charge $34.50 a month plus PST, that people get pissed off.
actually, Bell Mobility did that a year ago. They offered plans that were an 'All in One Plan' Problem was, customer's thought the plans were more money than the competitors, even though they weren't, so with a loss of business, the plans were retired.

nem, who says sometimes when you give 'em what they want, they still complain

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
nem, who says sometimes when you give 'em what they want, they still complain
I know what you mean. I've been comparing cell phone plans, and people ask me how much I pay. I tell them my Telus bill is $45, and they tell me they are only paying $20 on (insert company name here.) I then ask them how much their monthly bills are; and they reply that they don't know. :eek:

Unfortunately most of us here on DHC are above average consumers as far as scrutinizing our service and bills.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Real estate.

In fact, in another thread here, people are gloating about increases in excess of 28%.

At least the people who are owners are pleased, as are the mobile phone companies.
My house price have gone up by $100k in the past 6 years (that's close to 40%) and I for one am pissed about this. I have no plan in selling my house, yet I'm paying more and more property tax.

So yeah, back to topic, what's going on with the SAF and number portation from one carrier to the next?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts