Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed tonight that the station ID bug showed "City" without the "TV" part and much (but not all) visually and verbally referring to the network as "City"...

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
cool, i wonder if it has anything to do with a decision from their parent company, RCI/Rogers Media.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since Rogers bought out Metro14 in Montreal, all the advertisement downtown about cityTV only refer it to City on Metro14

·
Registered
160 Posts
I noticed that too.....and it just sounds wrong. I've taken to yelling "TV!" whenever an announcer says "City Television".
I suppose I'll get used to it, lol, but why don't they just leave it at "City" if they want a change. They don't need the extra syllables of "Television" .

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
That is very true Julie. CityTv just rolls off the tongue better than City Television.:) What are these guys thinking when they come out with ideas like these?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Changing Citytv to city, is just plain idiotic. That would be like changing CTV to Canadian Television Network, or something ... (CTN) Why change a name, to something different when its been the same for so many years? You dont see FOX,NBC,CBS,ABC,PBS CNN etc etc do the same thing? So why do that?

·
Registered
880 Posts
CJNT-DT (62.1 - rf 49) in Montreal has yet to be bought out by Rogers. It's still before the CRTC at this point in time. CJNT-DT (branding Metro 14) seems to be functioning more as an affiliate for now with OMNI programming as well.

But, yes, the on air promos do refer to it as CITY on Metro 14.

I don't think it's bad that the network is referring to themselves as just CITY. CITY-TV (now CITY-DT) is actually the call-letters for the original station in Toronto. It's probably for the best that the network is referring to themselves as just CITY as each station does have it's own call-letters. And if the network continues to expand in picking up more affiliate stations, I would think that they wouldn't want any confusion on viewers minds between the CITY network, and the affiliates call-letters.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The confusion is by the general public (ie: not members of this forum) between CityTV and CTV. Hence, when spoken it is now the more distinct "City Television"

·
Registered
166 Posts
even though it's called city television now, why do they still call it citytv on their website? IT MAKES NO SENSE! WHY CHANGE SOMETHING THAT PEOPLE DON'T EVEN WANT CHANGED!?

·
Registered
253 Posts
One would think that branding CityTV would be far easier than branding City. Almost seems like the opposite of what Syfy had done in the US.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
^^^^ that's funny.

I was thinking that perhaps "CityTV" doesn't translate well in French?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I just checked into this again and the OP may have been mis-understood or mis-informed. CityTV has not re-branded to City, they are still CityTV. The only time they are using City on its own, and its temporary, is for their affiliate Metro 14 in montreal, its pending crtc approval, though they are officially an affiliate of city and omni, they can air omni and city programming but ive noticed the commercials say just city, not City tv, and they have to do this, they can not leagally call it City TV since the purchase is not completed yet. Also they may have accidentally aired a commercial on their City TV owned channels that had just "city" in the advertizement, that may have done it by mistake, they can do this, as it is ok but they can not do the other what I have just stated. so it looks like they are in the clear, nothing is being re-branded and it was just a bunch of mis-information and mis-communication by the op. hope this clears up every thing

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
what I saw was NOT on Metro 14 as it not part of my Shaw Direct package... it likely was (but not 100% sure) from CityTv Saskatchewan (the former SCN)... this is a fully owned Rogers station, but because it doesn't carry the full slate of CityTv stations (educational programs during the day), it may just show "City" on their bug and in local promos...

·
Registered
160 Posts
@Paolo - Makes sense - except that the same week the OP posted, here in Toronto I heard the station referring to itself on more than one occasion as "City Television" (mostly on the 5-7pm news shows).

I must admit I haven't heard it now for at least week or so, but like I said on my other post, it had become so noticeable for a few days that I would be yelling out "TV" from my kitchen whenever I heard them say "Television".

So, whether or not it was just a weird coincidence or a failed idea, there was something going on, and not just in Montreal! lol

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I don't disagree with the both of you, but maybe, just perhaps, for a short time, they could have Tested this promotional / advertizing materal for both city tv networks and city affiliates and maybe pulled it later and defaulted back to the old City TV or maybe the guy who normally does it was off and they needed a fill-in guy and the person they had was new and said city television instead of city tv? who knows? only the producers know.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yes. I just noticed this a few times today of them now saying City and is no longer CityTv - Toronto

My prediction it will soon to be called " Rogers City tv "

1 - 20 of 41 Posts