Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
CraveTV was not available to Rogers or Shaw customers until the CRTC ruled that Bell must make it OTT. Neither company was on the list of Crave TV partners. As a Rogers subscriber, I could not subscribe to Crave TV until it was made OTT.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
CraveTV was available to all the providers; it was some providers that chose not to offer it. The providers pay a wholesale price, promote the service on their channel packages page, look after billing to the end user, mark up the retail price and keep the difference. For example, Shaw has been offering it as part of their TV package for $5.99/month for over 2 years. Rogers is one of the few providers that still doesn't offer it as part of their TV package, so their customers have to pay the direct price, which is now $9.99.

Back on topic, I wonder what it is that makes FX Now so unattractive to the large providers. If it was the lack of content, maybe that will change when they include their full library.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Maybe it's cost. I dislike the trend of channels like FX and City launching their own VOD or OTT services. It's reasonable for BDU subscribers when VOD is included with a BDU subscription. It's not reasonable when they charge $6.99 or more for each channel as an OTT service. By the time one pays $6.99 for all their favourite channels, costs get out of hand very quickly. An optional service that includes all Rogers owned channels under one service would be an improvement. A jointly owned OTT service similar to Hulu would be a much more reasonable choice for some consumers. I would pay extra to get rid of ads and I'm sure many other consumers would do the same.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
It's all $$$ whether Bell Rogers or who have you, it all in how much more they can get out the sub. With cord cutting or individuals cutting back on channels and opting for streaming services, the BUD's need to recoup their expanses, so why not charge for it. Not saying its right, but something tells me we'll see more of "charge for each streaming service/Channel". If you want to see it, basically your going to have to pay for, or not but that's something that's not right in some individuals view.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Is Rogers just ignoring their current FX Canada Now product while waiting for this relaunch? I just went on there and they have TWO whole shows available to watch — two shows I've never heard of. This is why people are dumping Canadian cable companies for their US counterparts.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Every movie on Rewind (840 on Cogeco Burlington) has sound and lip movement out of sync. Does no one care, is anyone watching at wherever this eminates from? Are only 8-year-olds in knee pants running (not running) back in engineering? Just asking. Yes EVERY movie. sailmaker

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Is Rogers just ignoring their current FX Canada Now product while waiting for this relaunch? I just went on there and they have TWO whole shows available to watch — two shows I've never heard of. This is why people are dumping Canadian cable companies for their US counterparts.
They are launching FX in the fall so we still may have few weeks before Rogers starts full FX Now service.
Hopefully Bell and other big providers will have it available on their platform when this service officially launches.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I saw a promo for www.fxnowcanada.ca/ - you can watch full seasons of most series going back to season 1, including classics like Sons of Anarchy and the Hulu series Future Man. There is still the problem that many large providers are missing from the list:

Beanfield Metroconnect
CCAP
Cable Cable
CityWest
Cogeco
Northwestel
O-Net
Rogers
SaskTel
Source Cable Limited
Telus
Videotron
WTC Communications

----

Citytv still has several series where only the last few episodes are available, such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine and black-ish. They do have all 10 seasons of Modern Family and all 6 of Mom. The owners of The Simpsons still aren't granting streaming rights. The only new provider with streaming access is Bell MTS, probably because it is now owned by Bell.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
It sounds like Catch-22 should be available on Citytv on demand through your television provider according to this press release and post 1. If not, you can use your TV provider credentials to sign in to the Citytv site to stream it there (assuming your provider is on the login list.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried to sign in to citytv app and it won't let me. I am a bell customer and it has bell as a provider. So why doesn't it let me in?

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@ncancun I'm not a Bell customer, but I had no trouble signing in to the web interface with my provider credentials and watching live TV. Are you getting an error message?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I tried to sign in to citytv app and it won't let me. I am a bell customer and it has bell as a provider. So why doesn't it let me in?
I too tried to sign into the CITY-TV app and it gave me a message to call my provider.

Although...it clearly states that Bell is on the login list.

Not sure what's happened but it's disappointing to miss the rest of Catch-22.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
No problem for me when it comes to logging in to the City APP using Bell credentials. Everything works just fine. The credentials are the same ones I use to login to the main Bell website to check my account (Bell TV, Bell Mobility) not my email ID and password.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can't login to the CITY app on my iPhone. iPad and Apple TV 4K are OK. About a week ago I was unable to login with my iPad but it eventually worked.

No error message. It just returns to the display from which I was trying to login.

I'm a Rogers subscriber.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts