Saturday
7-10 p.m. NHL: Hockey Night in Canada

Sunday
7:30 p.m. Bob’s Burgers (s) *NEW to City*
8 p.m. Sunnyside *City Original Programming*
8:30 p.m. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (s)
9 p.m. Family Guy (s) *NEW to City*
9:30 p.m. The Last Man on Earth (s) *NEW to City*

**NOTE: 58th Annual GRAMMY Awards® and The Wiz Live! (*NEW*) will join City’s fall schedule – Date and time TBC

Full Press Release including show descriptions

·
Registered
457 Posts
Muppets on Monday nights will be nice, we get it a whole night before the US. And Sundays look good too, basically Fox minus The Simpsons (and hopefully minus any football delays).

·
Registered
936 Posts
TNF on CBS is on City now? Guess it is a big simsub opportunity for an OTA program. Speaking of sports programming, is Hometown Hockey not on City anymore?

Oh, and what happens on Fridays at 8.30?

·
Registered
199 Posts
TNF on CBS is on City now? Guess it is a big simsub opportunity for an OTA program. Speaking of sports programming, is Hometown Hockey not on City anymore?

Oh, and what happens on Fridays at 8.30?
TNF was on OMNI last year, so I am not surprise with this move: Emptying Thursday in order to make room for TNF on City.

For the gap of Friday 8:30, my gut tells me it will be a re-run of a random Canadian program, maybe "Storage Wars Canada" or "Murdoch Mysteries":rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess is that those are Mr. D reruns, since CBC has already announced they are airing season 5 this year.

According to City TV's Twitter feed, The Mindy Project will air Thursdays at 9:30 ET/PT.

https://twitter.com/Citytv_PR/status/602972498385182720

It looks like they will pair it with MOM which CBS has scheduled for 9:00-9:30 PM (Starting in November when Thursday night football ends).

That probably means that City TV won't be carrying Scandal this fall, which is in the same time slot. My bet is that Scandal will air on CTV this fall since they have that time slot open.
Well I was half right. City TV dropped Scandal, which had good ratings in the U.S., but did poorly on City TV. I'm very surprised that no other network picked it up. I wonder if the new season will end up on shomi or a specialty channel.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I do seem to remember last year that the first TNF game was on City/Sportsnet, but the later ones were on Sportsnet. Given that they're, suddenly, trying to drop non-ethnic programs from Omni...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sad to see hockey gone on Sunday, but at least City can show Brooklyn Nine-Nine again. Plus Family Guy and Last Man on Earth, can't wait.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Has an American network ever allowed a Canadian network to air their shows first before? I don't recall ever seeing that.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's been done before more than once. The one I distinctly remember is Reign airing on M3 the day before it aired on the CW. I can't remember the others.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
At one time it was the norm. The Canadian networks all negotiated early showing rights when they bought an American series. The original Star Trek (NBC/CTV) always was seen first here in Canada. Back in the 60's being able to see American shows few nights early was one of the perks of living in Canada. Americans in fact started pointing their antennas to Canadian stations when they learned that their favourite show was being aired first in Canada. It all ended shortly after cable TV began and the CRTC mandated the simultaneous substitution system that we have come to know and love. Once that was in place it became stupid for any Canadian station to continue to show programs earlier than the nearby US station.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I don't think any American network has any say as Canadian networks purchased the rights straight from the studios themselves, to broadcast in Canada anytime they like.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
The deals were made each spring and early summer when the Canadians would send their people down to Los Angeles to see the new fall schedule. Those gatherings were put on by the networks not the individual show's producers. I can remember reading about how sometimes CTV would want a longer time between their first showing and the US premiere and not getting it because a US network didn't want it that way. I will concede that the producers would also get involved. There were a few who simply wouldn't allow their show to be shown early. There was nothing like the internet of course but they were still afraid that spoilers about the show might accidentally leak back into the United States.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Has an American network ever allowed a Canadian network to air their shows first before? I don't recall ever seeing that.
Last year CTV showed Forever a day early and The Mentalist three days early. Other shows sometimes air the same day as the U.S. network, but an hour or 2 earlier because of schedule conflicts.

The Canadian networks buy the shows from the studios and independent distributors at the L.A. Screenings in May each year, just after the U.S. networks announce their fall schedules. The studio may be related to the broadcast network or may be different. Even if the U.S. network is not related to the studio, the U.S. network may negotiate that it will have first airing rights to prevent spoilers from leaking out from international showings.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Stations in Atlantic Canada play the shows that occupy 22:00 ET at 19:00 ET (20:00 AT). Therefore, those with time-shifting option that includes Atlantic channels can watch those shows 3 hours earlier. Last season for example, I watched shows like Castle, Person of Interest, How to Get Away with Murder 3 hours before they were aired on the original American channels.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't think any American network has any say as Canadian networks purchased the rights straight from the studios themselves, to broadcast in Canada anytime they like.
reidw put it correctly that it is not always the case. Sometimes networks and producers can prevent Canadian broadcasters to broadcast early.

One notable example is the post-Super Bowl shows. In many cases CTV does not own the show, somebody else does. That somebody, can not air the show before the Super Bowl is over and it is played in the U.S., even if that show is already in its scheduled time.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts