Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cisco Systems Inc. is exiting parts of its consumer businesses, with plans to shut its Flip video camera business.

Cisco, which is facing stronger competition from rivals in its core business, said it will realign its remaining consumer business to support four of its five key priorities—core routing, switching and services; collaboration; architectures and video.

The San Jose, Calif., company anticipates its consumer business shakeup will result in the loss of 550 jobs and restructuring charges of no more than $300 million in its fiscal third and fourth quarters.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Is anyone surprised that the flip camera was a failure? Outside of Cisco I mean?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised that they are shutting it down.

This is / was a pretty hot selling item for a number of years. I would have thought they could sell the company albeit for far less than they paid for it.

Reading about it, it appears that Flip was wiped out by the Smartphone.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Exactly. Why carry around a device that can only do one thing when your phone can also take pictures and video?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Cisco is not a consumer company. I think they had no idea what to do with it. In addition, who needs a Flip when everyone has a smartphone that can shoot HD?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why carry around a device that can only do one thing when your phone can also take pictures and video?
How many kids do you know with a smartphone.

Lots of people can't afford smartphones and data plans. A Flip phone is about 1 to 2 months of data and voice.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I see lots of high school kids running around with smart phones. Maybe they can't afford a data plan but that won't stop them from taking advantage of the phone's camera and video recording capabilities.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently Cisco sold 2.5 million of them last year so I'm surprised no one would buy the company from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts