Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I sometimes get periods of a black screen flicker at random times with this PVR.
The screen just goes black and comes back and will happen every so often sometimes for a while ... until I reboot the box the problem is fixed.

Is this a known issue or is there a fix ?

much appreciated

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have experienced this on occasion. I have found that resetting the output wizard fixes it.
Set it up and choose a lesser setting like 480p save it then rerun it and save it to 720 or 1080
Always worked for me

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding...
You say output wizard? in which menu is that

What should the setting be to begin with?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks...
I can say that it seems to happen once a week lately even after a reboot

Is this a bug with my box cuz it doesn't seem to happen on my bro's box

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a couple of other Sd boxes that do not experience this issue. The setting is indeed at 1080i
Can it possibly be the pvr?

The connection and signal should be Ok cuz all goes back to normal after unplugging as it will not correct by itself

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've been having that problem with the last three boxes although not as often with the box I now have. Talking to their techs on the phone, many have mentioned that the problem is probably with the HDMI cable, output on the PVR or input on the television. They have recommended using composite instead of HDMI which I think shouldn't come to that. I found that changing my HDMI cable usually fixed the problem for a while. Mind you, I'm using HDMI cables from Monoprice and don't mind changing them every so often because they are so cheap which may also be a reason why they may be causing that problem with the PVR. It may be unrelated but my own experience seems to show that the Monoprice cables may be responsible for that problem. Maybe they degrade more rapidly?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I always thought that this was an HDMI handshaking issue caused by my HDTV, since I have changed PVRs (8300HD, Cisco 8642 HD), changed HDMI cables, switched HDMI inputs, and it still comes back occasionally. But I never changed my HDTV. One thing to add, the Cisco 8642 HD is doing it much less than the 8300HD did...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know that this thread is old, but I had the same problem too.

Is your TV happens to be a Sharp AQUOS? Because a friend of mine and I have a Sharp AQUOS, old model from 2007-2008-2009ish, before the quattron era (with the silver wave design at the bottom of the tv), and we all had this issue.

When I did upgrade to the 8642HD, the problem was still present, but way less frequent.

Now I still have the same tv, but I use an Onkyo Audio-Video receiver between my PVR and my TV. I no longer have the black screen problem, but sometimes, on very very rare occasion (maybe 3-4 times a year), I lose sound, but this seems to be a receiver problem, since I only have to restart the receiver, not the PVR.

·
Bell Employee
76 Posts
Connect HDMI to TV and then optical out to your receiver, and you will never have issues. Do not connect the receiver between the box and TV as it may impede with the bi-directionality required for the VOD!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are kidding right?

The only thing that goes through the HDMI cable between the TV and the box, is audio and video and the HDCP check.

This topic is about an HDMI handshake problem between some STB and TVs.

Bi-directionality for VOD does not have anything to do with it, and it does not even transit through HDMI cable at all...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts