Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I had this CIS 430 PVR for a while now with no problems now sometimes the picture will go dark like theres little brightness. Its not my TV because my bluray picture is fine. It happened twice in the last week, both times I had to reset the system and it was fine again. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Banned
548 Posts
I've never seen or heard of that, it sounds like it may be a bad connection or the first symptoms of a potential hardware failure.

Can you provide further insight, answers to the following questions may be helpful?
How often is this occuring?
What type of connection method are you using between the STB and the TV?
Have you tried an different connection method, component vs HDMI for instance?
Is there an A/V reciever between the STB and the TV?
Have you tried swaping the connection of the STB with the Bluray's connection?

If you are renting your PVR, I wouldn't concern yourself too much. If it is a hardware failure on the horizon, TELUS will replace the faulty unit. If this is happening often I'd just call it in. If you own your PVR and want to try some trouble shooting, posting some answers to the questions I've posed would be enlightening.

Customer owned STBs require return to Cisco for warranty repair. TELUS doen't repair, or replace customer owned STBs, loaner STBs are not provided. All warranty work required for customer owned STBs is the sole responsibility of the customer.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it connected with HDMI right into the TV. I never tried AV cables, next time it happens I will replace the HDMI to see if it changes anything. I am renting, if it keeps happening I will just call them and have it replaced. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have it connected with HDMI right into the TV. I never tried AV cables, next time it happens I will replace the HDMI to see if it changes anything. I am renting, if it keeps happening I will just call them and have it replaced. Thanks for the reply.
I have the same problem although it hasn't happened for a while now. It only occurs rarely and sporadically. It also corrects for itself for no known reason.

I have checked my HDMI cable connections and they are tight. At any rate, if HDMI fails you should get "sparklies" or no picture at all.

I have seen this complaint here before or on another forum. The discussion may have been related to the current firmware. I believe this is separate from the white balance issue as the picture is just dark and really plain looking.

I have a feeling that a component connection may fix this random problem.

If this occurs again more frequently in the future, I'm going to complain.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I have a feeling that a component connection may fix this random problem.

If this occurs again more frequently in the future, I'm going to complain.
Component will in all likelyhood fix this issue.

Complaining will get you no where, don`t frustrate yourself or waste your time with the phone call. You will be told that `TELUS does not support HDMI`. You will be advised to use component.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I figured out how to fix the dark picture problem. Instead of waiting for it to correct itself, which can take until the next day, all you have to do if press the previous button and the picture will return back to normal.

The dark picture is the same darkness as when you bring up the guide and the background TV picture is darkened. The problem with the darkened picture is that it stays this way while actually watching a TV program. Bringing up the guide (the guide is also dark), going through the menus, looking at recorded items list, and even watching old recorded programs (which were bright when recorded) are dark and will not fix the problem. I have even pulled the HDMI cable out and put it back in a few times while the PVR is on and the picture always remains dark. But by accident I have now pressed the preview button twice and both times fixed the problem right away.

·
Banned
548 Posts
That’s both interesting news and a great observation. You should probably post it in the "Troubleshooting" thread.

Does the dark picture issue occur with component? I'm just wondering if 10pmstalker or anyone else has tried component.

It's an easy workaround if its consistent.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
980 Posts
both my 330 are plugged direct to the tv, my main floor one was hdmi to av then tv but hdmi audio took too long to sync with the av receiver whenever changing channels, so i used optic and then that cause out of sync issues so 330 to tv, optic from tv to amp is a ok. in either setups ive never seen the picture go dark and the second 330 has always been hdmi and never a issue. my 430 is component though i rarely use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts