Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised there's no discussion about this film yet.

Ron Howard isn't exactly the most risky, innovative director out there, but this is a really solid, enjoyable film. Beautiful production design and nicely filmed, Russell Crowe is good, Rene Zellwigger pouts in all the right places, and the boxing scenes are well-choreographed in a visceral way that makes you feel the punches connect in your own gut.

And, of course, as with any Ron Howard film, it's always fun to see how he manages to get a job for his lesser, but equally bad-bald brother, Clint.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
This movie had great reviews and a lousy box office. I'm sure i will like it much better than last years boxing movie.

I remember last summer when they turned the outside of HBC and turned it into MSG circa 1920 something. Nice set.

HBO had a "making of" show last week for this movie.

Some amateur boxer from Oakville is one of this opponents.

Perhaps somebody wasn't happy with the weekend box-office:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050606/ap_en_mo/people_crowe_arrested/nc:790;_ylt=Avu90iqANI9I9vBOwa86OOcwFxkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
james99 said:
This movie had great reviews and a lousy box office. I'm sure i will like it much better than last years boxing movie.
Movies geared towards mature adult audiences do not usually open big. Seabiscuit (which was marketed to a similar audience) opened with approximately $20 million and ended up grossing $120 million. Movies like this depend on word of mouth which is integral for a lengthy and prosperous run at the box office. Cinderella man shouldn't be written off in its first week. The movie still has a chance to be a box office success.

I would call the opening box office gross disappointing but, not lousy. The movie could have opened a lot better but it also could have opened a lot worse.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Russell had a great weekend he gets arrested and his movie comes in forth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts