Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RadioInsight.com reports that Rogers has registered domain names for "102.3 Jack FM" - and that points to a new "Jack" identity for what's now "102.3 BOB FM," CHST, which Rogers is buying from CTV/CHUM.
http://fybush.com/nerw.html#can

When I drive past London I will once in a while listen to 102.3, so wonder how much of a change this will be? Probably a bit of a shift away from some of the 90s and now stuff and more focus on stuff from the 80s?

·
Banned
844 Posts
I hope they do shift the focus towards more 80s music and get rid of this 'whatever' crap which I suspect is just a code word for pop music of today. There are plenty of damn stations airing the current garbage music, this station should focus on 80s and 90s. If there is not enough music between those two decades then throw in some 70s stuff as well but please no more 'whatever' crap! :mad:

Jack FM Toronto had a great playlist when it first launched, hopefully they will adopt that format for this station as well when they re-brand it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Likely more of the rogers style voice-tracking.

Take a look at 96.9 Vancouver or 103.1 Victoria and that's pretty much what they will sound like.

Regardless no sign of any changes at 102.3 yet. This is an interesting time in the London radio market with lots of things changing and a new station coming On-Air this spring (98.1).

·
Banned
844 Posts
This is an interesting time in the London radio market with lots of things changing and a new station coming On-Air this spring (98.1).
Do you have confirmation that this station is actually going to launch because it has been over a year since they got approval and I have seen no indication that they actually plan to launch the station?! Also, on Wikipedia it says that they will have an Adult Album Alternative format- what exactly does that mean?! I hope they go with classic rock, there is no station with this format here or in the surrounding area.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Don't look for much, if any, of a playlist change. BOB is dominant in adult demos in London. Also, registering a domain doesn't always mean that the name *will*change. London's a diary market, where recall is important, and BOB gets that.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Be it Jack, BOB or Fred, I hate the naming scheme. Whatever happened to genre identification and call signs?

London's a diary market, where recall is important, and BOB gets that.
So that's why I hear the same old stuff over and over, ad nauseum. Thank goodness for satellite and internet radio, not that they are often much better, just different with a change of content.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Worked fine when there were 3 or 4 significant stations in the market, but again, it comes down to recall, and "BOB" is easier to remember than CHST.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Agreed. However Easy Rock (or whatever) 102.5 always works for me. Are people getting that memory impaired? I guess all the catchy call signs must be gone. Who doesn't know what CHUM is?

·
Registered
580 Posts
There are only a few unique call-signs that became memorable brands left. CHUM is certainly the biggest. CHOM, CHEZ, CHYM, CKOI, and CJAY are others, but they're more pronounceable.

"BOB" is no cheezier than "EZ-Rock".

·
Registered
340 Posts
Do you have confirmation that this station is actually going to launch because it has been over a year since they got approval and I have seen no indication that they actually plan to launch the station?! Also, on Wikipedia it says that they will have an Adult Album Alternative format- what exactly does that mean?! I hope they go with classic rock, there is no station with this format here or in the surrounding area.
They were approved for a tower out off Old Victoria Road last month, their antenna wouldn't fit on One London Place. In that application they stated they would like be on the air by the spring. The Peak in Vancouver is an example of AAA http://www.thepeak.fm/ along with Shore 104 http://www.shore104.com/ however AAA doesn't do so well in ratings.

I guess all the catchy call signs must be gone.
CJBX = BX93
CJBK = 1290 CJBK
CIXX = 106.9 the X
CHYM = 96.7 CHYM FM
CKBT = 91.5 the Beat
CIQM = (formerly known as) Q97.5
CFHK = (formerly known as) 103.1 the Hawk

London's a diary market, where recall is important, and BOB gets that.
PPM will be here sooner then later.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
"BOB" is no cheezier than "EZ-Rock".
It is to someone named Robert. ;) I would guess that some Jacks and Freds are not too pleased either. There is nothing like having your name debased to a cheesy music format.

"BOB" is easier to remember than CHST.
How about CHASTE FM or change it to CHSY and calling it CHEESY FM? How about CRAP FM for truth in advertising? ;)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
they will have an Adult Album Alternative format- what exactly does that mean?
It has become kind of a catch all for music that appeals to an older demographic. It also implies lesser known album cuts will be played. I've heard a few AAA stations that are truly AAA. I've also heard a lot that were basically just top 40 alternative. The play lists can consist of songs by lesser known singer/songwriters that fit into the folk/rock/Americana genres. Think artists like David Gray, Ben Folds, Tori Amos, Ryan Adams, No Doubt, Los Lobos, John Mayer or Dave Matthews Band. Lesser known cuts by rock and other popular artists often cross over. That's especially true of new music by once popular artists that are still producing quality music but no longer get airplay on current formats. It can also include music by artists from genres such as Reggae that get little air play elsewhere.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It's a format that really has the potential to find its place if done well. I think the magic formula is somewhere in between SHORE and PEAK Vancouver. CBC Radio 2 does it well, but not with measurable consistency.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've been listening to AAA for over 15 years. IMHO, one of the best was WDET-FM in Detroit (PBS.) Unfortunately, it underwent a change in format several years ago. I've yet to find any station that is quite the same, or as good, not even on Sirius-XM. The Spectrum on Sirius-XM tries but doesn't succeed.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I hope they go with classic rock, there is no station with this format here or in the surrounding area.
FM96 is no longer classic rock? I remember listening to it while going to school at UWO in the early 1990's. The other station I frequented was the Fanshawe College one. Radio Western was terrible.

Growing up in Windsor I was spoiled being able to listen to Detroit stations. London was a wasteland.

·
Registered
340 Posts
FM96 is no longer classic rock? I remember listening to it while going to school at UWO in the early 1990's. The other station I frequented was the Fanshawe College one. Radio Western was terrible.
FM96 is Active Rock so newer stuff and some select older stuff. They do air the Legends of Classic rock as per the Corus Network.

Fanshawe's station is Hip-Hop, Dance & R&B (106.9 the X)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Most London and area stations have undergone format changes (some several times) and name changes since 1990. Many have undergone ownership changes as well. Fanshawe's CIXX (6X, another great id) was reprimanded by the CRTC after a complaint from local stations. Their Classic Rock format became so popular it threatened the market share of other stations and they were told to change formats or lose their license.

·
Banned
844 Posts
There is not one decent station in this market IMO but I guess that might be a reflection of the listeners here?! Terrestrial radio overall is not that good but at least in Toronto you have some decent stations like Q107 and Boom 97.3 which airs classic stuff from the 70s & 80s. Here its all garbage as far as I am concerned, its not just the lack in variety of formats (most stations here seem to be all the same, playing current pop music), its also the playlists which are just terrible. Hopefully the change in Bob FM to Jack FM will bring about some changes in the playlist for this station but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Fanshawe's CIXX (6X, another great id) was reprimanded by the CRTC after a complaint from local stations. Their Classic Rock format became so popular it threatened the market share of other stations and they were told to change formats or lose their license.
Seriously? Wow. Give the public what they (apparently) want and your competitors whine to the government. How thoroughly Canadian! :rolleyes:

I lived in London from 1991 to 1995 while going to school and just remember terrestrial radio being terrible back then. Can't see how it could get any worse.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Can't see how it could get any worse.
It has become a lot, lot worse. I doubt any changes in name, be it Jack, Fred or Virgin will make it better. Most of the stations are now owned and run out of Toronto using generic formats and programming.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts