Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well right off the hop it didn't pick up my Britbox app. and I can't find it doing a search of Google Play Store from within the Chromecast. I also note that while the Crave app is there, movie or show suggestions (For you) do not include content from Crave. It is still available from withing the app just not served up for you. A minor inconvenience that I'm sure (hoping) will be fixed with future software upgrades.

I also found this Canadian review in my news feed.

While I can't talk to accessing BritBox directly through Chromecast Google TV, I can report that it's fully accessible through Amazon Prime Channels. From prior experience I know the price is the same as is the viewing experience. You might want to switch the subscription over (and get another free month of viewing in the process).

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
While I can't talk to accessing BritBox directly through Chromecast Google TV, I can report that it's fully accessible through Amazon Prime Channels. From prior experience I know the price is the same as is the viewing experience. You might want to switch the subscription over (and get another free month of viewing in the process).
I already have thanks.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I set up the Harmony Hub (Logitech Harmony Companion version) with the Chromecast WGTV. This is done using the Harmony Hub app. After it was set up, the Logitech Harmony Companion remote controls the Chromecast WGTV and the app can be used to create new activities. The Google remote is no longer needed but can still be used. It can also be used with voice commands to start activities using the Harmony Hub. The two devices appear to be well integrated and communicate using wifi and Bluetooth. I'm impressed and very happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
As an aside my wife and I bought a new Sony OLED tv (XBR 55A8H) for our son and daughter-in-law this Christmas. Gave it to them early since no one knows if we can be together at Christmas. Anyways, long story short, it runs on an Android OS and come preloaded with Google Chromcast. The TV's remote has voice commands on it and the Chromecast app is exactly what you get if you buy the $70 device. Setup was super smooth and needless to say the kids (ok, they're in their mid 30s) were suitably impressed.

I don't know if other TV manufacturers are now integrating Chromecast into their systems or not, but I can see where this is headed. Functionality that newer cable boxes are delivering will hasten the demise of cable.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Chromecast is spreading to lots of devices. I have a TV soundbar with Bluetooth and Chromecast built in. The Chromecast functionality is more convenient and has better quality than Bluetooth. Just press the cast button in the music streaming app, choose the soundbar and, it automatically turns the soundbar on and connects the soundbar directly to the streaming server. The only downside is that the remote control does not function as it would with the Google Chromecast or Bluetooth.

The more I use the Chromecast wGTV the more impressed I am. The apps on Google TV are not as numerous as with regular Android but most of the streaming apps available in Canada are there. The notable exception is Apple. It also supports things like the Plex and Emby. An Android TV would be nice but most makes seem to be using other solutions.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Chromecast is spreading to lots of devices. I have a TV soundbar with Bluetooth and Chromecast built in. The Chromecast functionality is more convenient and has better quality than Bluetooth. Just press the cast button in the music streaming app, choose the soundbar and, it automatically turns the soundbar on and connects the soundbar directly to the streaming server. The only downside is that the remote control does not function as it would with the Google Chromecast or Bluetooth.

The more I use the Chromecast wGTV the more impressed I am. The apps on Google TV are not as numerous as with regular Android but most of the streaming apps available in Canada are there. The notable exception is Apple. It also supports things like the Plex and Emby. An Android TV would be nice but most makes seem to be using other solutions.
I have a Sony soundbar HT-ST5100 with built in Chromecast. I know I can stream from my Android phone and I'm sure there must be a way to do it from the Sony soundbar. i just haven't figured it out yet. The Mrs. prefers to play Stingray Music channels from our cable service.

I found a You Tube tutorial where the gent demonstrates how to turn your Chromecast to a Chromecast on steroids by basically turning into a Kodi box. I'm don't think I'm going to do that as previously I found Kodi to more trouble than what it is worth. If Google continues its development to integrate more cross app functionality and turns on the LiveTV functionality for Canada they might be onto something. I'd really love it if they could integrate OTA devices. Then we'd be cooking with gas!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Oh and the other learning I can share, for those unaware, is that Shaw's Free Range TV (aka Shaw TV) can now be streamed via Chromecast. Not that I use it at home, although I should as all SD channels come in as HD (it seems). But certainly when I go out to the lake I can now stream most of what I subscribe to.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I found a You Tube tutorial where the gent demonstrates how to turn your Chromecast to a Chromecast on steroids by basically turning into a Kodi box.
There is nothing special about that. The Kodi app is available for the Chromecast wGTV. Just install it from the apps section. I find that Kodi tends to be too heavy for lightweight streaming devices. I'm planning on using the Plex app with a Plex server running on a lightweight PC media server.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts