Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
just received a new modem/wifi router from shaw.

Cisco DPC3825

I guess it's better than the old one.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Cisco DPC3825
That looks like one I had on Rogers a few years ago. The WiFi is only up to 802.11n and on 2.4 GHz only. I had to change modems to get IPv6, as Rogers wouldn't provide it with that modem. I got a Hitron instead and also a $50/month cut in my bill.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Cisco DPC3825
That's still an incredibly outdated and possibly insecure modem/router. Shaw is ripping you off.

I think the problem here is the slow speed plan. Not sure what the current plan is but Shaw's Internet 15 (Mbps) plan is ridiculously overpriced. Their Internet 100 (Mbps), 500GB plan with a better modem is much better and is just $10 more but still overpriced. Right now they are offering that for $50/mo for 24mo to new customers so there is probably room for negotiation. I would call Shaw and see if they will offer a better deal with an upgrade. I see that Teksavvy has Cable 75 (Mbps) Unlimited Internet in some western areas for $50/mo plus modem purchase. (About $13 for 12 mo.) I would mention the Teksavvy price for your location as part of the negotiation. If Shaw won't budge on pricing and modem I would sign up with Teksavvy. Do not cancel with Shaw as that could cause service transfer issues. Teksavvy will take care of the cancellation. Be sure they know that Shaw is the current internet provider.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
shaw didn't rip me off because the modem was free. Unless your suggesting that my old connection was better (Motorola Surfboard SB 5102 with a data transfer rate of 30 MB/S and download speeds of 10/100 mbps +my wireless has 2.4 GHz, 54 MPBS, and, 802.11G)

I streamed a MLB baseball game off youtube last week and the quality was very very good. I streamed a CFL game off the TSN app and the quality was very very bad.

I guess for me it's all dependent on weather or not a website/app has chrome casting capabilities. You tube has it, and TSN doesn't.

I tried streaming a game off the sportsnet app (because they have Chromecast capabilities). But for some reason it wouldn't let me sign in (even though I am a sportsnet subscriber through my cable company.) I've read lot of complaints about that crummy app.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
The modem is not free since most ISPs include modem rental in the price. When I said Shaw was ripping you off, that included the internet plan and modem. Other ISPs offer much better plans for the same or lower price. Even Shaw offers better plans and modems for a lower price. From the information given, it sounds like Shaw is charging $68 for 10Mbps internet and a ridiculously outdated modem. If so, that's a very bad deal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
.... it sounds like Shaw is charging $68 for 10Mbps internet and a ridiculously outdated modem. If so, that's a very bad deal.
I concur on the ridiculously bad pricing and equipment offering by Shaw. As suggested, you should research other providers and then see what Shaw Loyalty Retentions can offer. Be informed and firm on what it will take to keep you as a customer.....be prepared to walk if they won't budge.

Fortunately, I happen to be served by Telus using their fibre optic network. My current promotional price, for 2 years, is $50/ month at 150mbs up/down including a router that supports both bands plus offers a guest network. Feel free to use this information as part of your bargaining with Shaw.

I have multiple Chromecast devices in the house, have no issues streaming (apart from TSN) and range is not an issue.

All the best.
Skifan.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
My current promotional price, for 2 years, is $50/ month at 150mbs up/down including a router that supports both bands plus offers a guest network.
Shaw offers something similar to new customers for two years. The problem is that a lot of areas just have cable internet or fibre internet, not both. In that case, prices tend to be higher and the ability to switch is more limited. TPIAs like TSI and Start are usually an option but they often have limited offerings. TPIAs typically max out at 250Mbps where 1Gb internet is available from incumbents. Here in Ontario, Start and TSI customers sometimes suffer mysterious outages that don't affect Rogers customers. I rarely had issues with TSI when I was with DSL but the switch to cable changed that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
just struck a deal with shaw.

I'm getting Internet 300, with a better modem/wifi router on the way. All for a much cheaper price.

The chromecast gives me a good picture for streaming video but it could be better. Hopefully the new modem and internet package will do that for me.

I have an off topic question for you guys. Just in case the chromecast streaming quality is the same with the new modem/internet package as it was with old modem/internet package, I hear people saying that they have their modem's 'hardwired' to their tv. Doest this mean that they use one of their modem's ethernet ports and hook it up to the back of their tv or does it mean something else? That back of my TV doesn't have an ethernet port but the back of my HDTV box does.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
^^^ Some TVs have Chromecast built in and offer an ethernet port. So there's an Ethernet cable from the modem to the TV in some form. When people want this I usually recommend using Powerline adapters (plus a switch, if necessary). Chromecast streaming will be using a wired connection in this scenario.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Doest this mean that they use one of their modem's ethernet ports and hook it up to the back of their tv...
Yes it does. The existence of an ethernet port depends on the make and model of TV. In my experience, a wired connection is not needed but that will depend on the locations of the TV and router. Chromecast power blocks typically have an ethernet port for connecting the Chromecast directly to the modem. In my experience, it's often more useful and easier to use a wifi access point to provide a better wifi signal than it is to connect small devices with cable. In descending order of best performance, the access point can take the form of a wired router or access point, a mesh system or a wifi extender. Performance of the last two are highly dependent on the quality and location of the units.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Both of my 4K Chromecasts have ethernet ports on the power block. Maybe it's specific to that model. Never needed to use the port. The wifi signals they receive are fairly strong since the router is only a few feet away from both.

·
Super Moderator
11,115 Posts
Congrats on the 300MB.

30MB internet here and we cast 4K Youtube, TSN, Crave and 4K Netflix to CC ultra no problem. TSN and Crave are 720p and 2.0 audio. Crave is painful once you get used to Netflix video and audio quality. But the TSN quality will be lower and it adjusts depending on the quality of the wifi signal.

TIP: Desktop computers and laptops can chromecast TSN in Chrome. Also, some Vizio TVs now support AirPlay (Apple). Ours does. So we cast TSN with Airplay now.

If you are still having issues, download a wifi scanner and see if your wifi is on the same channel as your neighbors. You will have to google how to change the chanel for your particular router.

As mentioned mirroring is not recommended. Your phone must remain on and have a wifi strong signal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Congrats on the 300MB

Thanks

too bad DAZN still sucks

Even when I switch over to 5 Ghz on my WIFI still no difference

I might try attaching an ethernet adapter to the end of my chromecast device and hook up the ethernet cord to a wifi booster or directly to the router, but I doubt it will make a difference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
With Dazn I don't have buffering problems. But the it seems like it's operating of 7-15 frames per second (fps)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts