Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's hard to believe my equipment is now so old :( but life goes on.

Recently picked up a samsung galaxy tab s (android) and in order to watch various movies on my aquos, I got a chromecast.

Using ezcast, I can out put those movies (and everything else) I find online via chromecast to the tv. The good: I can get audio/video by cc connected directly to the tv.

The not so good: I can only get video/audio through the tv not through the avr.

I know that cc will only output audio through the lowest output (ie the stereo tv) but obviously I want it through the avr.

I got an hdmi switcher (as I only have 2 hdmi inputs on the tv) with optical out.

I tried toslink from the switch to optical input on the avr. Video/audio from tv only.
I tried toslink from tv to avr. Video/Audio from tv only.

Although I have hdmi from avr to tv (for dvd player), I have to use RGB from STB to tv and optical from STB to avr.

I've tried plugging cc into hdmi on avr and optical and hdmi to tv--video and audio from tv only.

I've tried searching for a solution and really only 1 relevant answer was CEC (called aquoslink for aquos but my tv is too old (circa 2005).

I think I've covered all my options/results. Any ideas out there?

edit: specific example

cc connect to switch box via hdmi
hdmi out from switch box to tv
optical out from switch box to denon
result--audio/vid at tv (no audio from avr)

I'm thinking there is an adj needed in the avr but cannot figure it out.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Make sure that in your AVR settings that the HDMI input used for the Chromecast is not set to Optical or something like that.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I would plug everything into the HDMI switch. Then connect the HDMI switch output to the AVR and the AVR HDMI output to the TV. The HDMI switch would then do all the input switching and all sound would be handled by the AVR using HDMI. There should be no TOSLink required unless it's for sound from the TV's OTA tuner to the AVR.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BGY--done that.

ExD--that's how I have it (I'll double check tho). Doing all this late at night, I found that after having one dvd plugged straight into the avr, I could not add a second dvd to it (hence one reason for getting the switch--fewer plugs to go into the avr). Although it was plugged into the 2nd hdmi input, I could not select hdmi2 when setting it up programming-wise. I could only select opt1 opt2, etc

This is an awful unit to program using the manual to figure out the nomenclature.

Your comment is exactly what I came up with initially but for some reason wouldn't work. I'm going to have to unplug/try again.

Thanks for confirming what I thought should be the correct method (after all, it should be really simple) and I'll advise.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
HDMI revisions can be an issue. Some of the earlier ones, like 1.1, don't always work well with devices that use later revisions. That can be an issue with devices that are 10 years old or more. I had a Denon 5700 that had no HDMI ports so I know difficult it can be to get everything set up using an external HDMI switch and a rat's nest of HDMI, component and TOSLink cables. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the 5700 went up in smoke so I now have an AVR with HDMI ports. The Chromecast just plugs directly into one of the AVR HDMI ports. It should work the same way with an HDMI switch. The only other issue I can think of is that maybe the Chromecast is sending an incompatible audio format to the AVR. I've seen everything from DD1.0 to DD+ with Netflix content. Don't know how the 2807 is but the 5700 would sometimes get stuck in analog input mode and need some tweaking to get it to recognize digital signals.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't forgotten. Just haven't had time to try your suggestions. I'll be back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts