Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Google
Today the Chrome Web Store is open for business. Developers have already started uploading apps, and we expect the number to grow over time. Right now the store is only available in the U.S., but will expand to many countries and currencies early next year. The store will be featured prominently in Chrome, helping people discover great apps and developers reach millions of users around the world.
Even though it's US only I can access it and install free apps. Time to have some fun poking around.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It's either an idea ahead of it's time (I have my doubts), or a solution in search of a problem. I have yet to have a better experience with any web app than I do with something installed on my hard drive.
Loads quicker on my Mac; runs quicker; saves locally; backed up on Dropbox.

I think that pretty much covers all of the "reasons" I'd want web apps.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Chrome web application will get updated with chrome I guess you won't need to update them one by one if you are on Windows. Off course Linux users like myself need not bother since our applications get all updated by the update manager. Apple is also going this way with their new Mac App store.
Chrome OS feel like a perfect solution for underpowered Netbook unfortunately Amazon is selling many dual core Netbooks for under $400 now so I don't see the point.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The first app I tried ( Weatherbug) actually crashes Chrome on Linux!
I then tried the NY Times and that does work. My faith in Google restored.
I must be falling behind the tech curve as I don't quite see the point.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've found the "apps" to be kind of useless so far. The best ones in terms of functionality are Google's own Docs, Calendar, Maps, and Reader, but these so-called "apps" are just glorified bookmarks. I'd appreciate the Flixster app if I could figure out how to enter my postal code so it gets the right listings.

I think this will get better as more developers submit apps, and particularly when Chrome OS launches. I think the value of these things will shine through when Chrome OS is released. I'm really hopeful that this will lead to a Linux/Chrome OS Netflix solution.

There's a Google Talk app that I really want to use. My netbook is running Ubuntu which has no official Google Talk client, which is my primary IM program. At the moment I just leave Gmail open since I'm not happy with the third party programs, but a Chrome app might be the solution I want. The only problem is the app supports Chrome OS only!

Now, the extensions I find very useful, though they have been available for a very long time. In particular I love Chrome-to-phone, Google Reader notifier, and Google Calendar checker.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Unfortunately the chrome apps page conflict with speed dial. So if it a choice between chrome apps and speed dial I rather have speed dial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts