Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if the major carriers usually offer incentives for new customers before Christmas, as they did recently for back to school. If so, when do you think those would start?

TIA,

Mel

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you do a little searching, Rogers' marketing plan for the upcoming season has been leaked (posting the link is, I believe, against the rules here). There is a lot about new devices and data sharing between phones, tablets and internet USB sticks; nothing new about the airtime and data prices except 1GB will be the base/minimum plan. My guess is prices will be known in early Dec. Generally the big-3 carriers will match each others' prices although some matching will be through unadvertised specials as adjustments are made to what is in the printed brochures and newspaper inserts that go to press long before we see them.

The most aggressive promotions used to appear in December and at Valentine's but back-to-school has taken the lead in the last couple of years. However, things may change again this year. This time last year Bell and Telus were just about to launch their new HSPDA network and were using that as their promotion rather than getting aggressive about price; Wind was just about to launch in one city only (don't recall the exact date it went live in Toronto) and most people hadn't heard of them; Mobilicity still hadn't chosen its brand name, etc.

This Christmas season, Wind, Videotron, Public Mobile and Mobilicity are well advanced with their roll-outs (Mobilicity coming to Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa this month and having a "fire sale" in Toronto). Customers have lower-cost options this year and we should know in 3-4 weeks if the incumbent carriers are at all inclined to lower prices to compete with the new-comers. Unless it's to grab something like Mobilicity's unlimited North American calling + unlimited data plan on sale for $35 until Nov 7, I'd recommend waiting until mid-December.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn, still haven't seen any decent promos. I talked to a guy at a Rogers store and he said they are waiting for promo's too...business is down about 80% for them! Oh well, maybe I won't be buying that iPhone I've been thinking about...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts