Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Christmas Carol in 3D

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Danster 
#1 ·
Well we just got back from the theatre seeing this movie and it was worth the money. To start with, Christmas Carol was never an all time favorite movie for me to see. The only reason I wanted to see this one was because of the 3D preview we had seen before the movie Up!.

If you have seen Beowolf, or Polar Express, the same technic was used to make this movie. Jim Carrey played 4 or so characters as well as Gary Oldman.

The eye movements, gestures, were very human like. The fluidity of the way they move are getting better and better every year. We are far from King Kong of 1933 and the stop action filming.

The movie is roughly the same as any version of the Christmas Carol. Where it shines is the 3D portion of it.

In the opening sequence, it is snowing and in the theatre, it looks like it's really coming down on us. The whole movie is filmed with 3D in mind. I would say that when it is released on DVD, most of the magic will be lost. When Scrooge is being led by the ghosts, the flying sequence is out of this world. On DVD, it will look normal.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 8 out of 10 for the story but 10 for the effects. I am biased as far as 3D goes but if you want a good treat for your eyes (and ears), you have to see this movie. There are a few scenes that might scare kids under 8.

Next movie for me to see in 3D, Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton (my fav director) coming out in March.
It will be a long winter....

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually, no matter how I try to like the preview to Avatar, I really can't seem to be able to force myself in liking it. I don't know if it's the way they are filmed, the color they use, I really don't know. I know it would be great in 3D but there has to be a certain "umph" to start with and Avatar brings me nothing.

Here in Fredericton, we only have 1 3D room so my guess would be that Christmas Carol will be taken out in order to show Avatar in December.

One thing I forgot to mention about Christmas Carol. The part played by Oldman, Cratchit, is wierd to look at. Gary Oldman seems like a rather tall slender type of guy in real life but in this movie, they made him look as if he was about 5 foot or even less. Really looks aweful. Not that I have anything against people that are 5 foot or less but this is just not the usual picture that we get with Oldman and it makes you fell uneasy looking at him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.