Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering why CHEX TV is not airing CTV's Your Morning, but instead is airing Global's morning show. Is this an early sign that CHEX is going to become a Global station?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think it might be more than that. Corus now owns CKWS. Corus owns Global. Yesterday Global met with CKWS, today they are in Peterborough.
You don't do 'tech' meetings to carry a different signal.

I think these stations will now have their news programs operated from Global Toronto. News will still be locally gathered, edited and presented from local stations, but it will be a 'green screen' [Chroma-key] situation with graphics, audio, & cameras operated remotely.

This saves money and allows for a more professional look. [My job was dropped as a 'money saver' in TO in 2009.]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corus has owned both CHEX and CKWS since early 2000's...I don't know where you heard this, but highly unlikely they're going to do the news from toronto

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you mean that you can't see it, or that it's from 2014?

Corus just bought Global last year.

Global runs Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Lethbridge news from Toronto, daily, and has since about 2010.

The morning show will run on both stations as well as Oshawa, which I didn't know had a station.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Not sure how long the program supply agreement is with CTV but since they are now under the same umbrella, it's very possible they could become Global affiliates down the road. It would make sense from a marketing and branding perspective. I was surprise when they announced they were going with CTV for programming because even before Corus owned Global, they still technically had common ownership since the Shaw family has controlling interest in Corus Entertainment.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I suspect that the situation is complicated by the fact that Global already covers Peterborough with a digital transmitter that is subject to the tangible benefits commitment from Shaw's takeover of Global that guaranteed conversion to digital and guaranteed continued operation of the transmitters. Of course, I'm not usre of why it is OK to have two CTV stations vs. two Global stations. Not that seemed to bother the CRTC in Kelowna, where the former CBC affiliate and now Global O&O and the Global BC (Vancouver) relay trnasmitter both cover Kelowna.

Kingston is a bit more complicated, but there is a relief from the requirement to convert Global Channel 2 Bancroft to digital pending the outcome of the current freeze on TV technical license changes.

·
Super Moderator
16,686 Posts
Corus Press Release: Global National to Expand to Four More Stations

Starting September 1, Global National will air on CKSA, a Newcap-owned television station in Lloydminster. Beginning Tuesday, September 6, the show will also run on three additional Corus-owned stations: CKWS Kingston, CHEX Peterborough and Channel 12 Durham. The program will be broadcast at 5:30 p.m. local time in each city.

Global News is also delighted to unveil new local versions of the network morning program, The Morning Show. Launching on Monday, October 17 on CKWS Kingston and on Monday, October 24 on CHEX Peterborough, the show will air from 6-9 a.m. With these programs, CKWS and CHEX will deliver local morning news to their respective viewers for the first time in history. The Morning Show will feature local news and community interviews with network cut-ins from Global’s national team in both markets.

Comment: This announcement is only for news programming and won't affect the program supply agreements the stations have with CTV.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
It seems odd that Corus owned channels would air just news from Global but there other programming will be from CTV(Bell) a competitor?You'd think they would air Globsal programming to get the max exposure?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Peterborough already has a repeater for Global Toronto.
Kingston, on the other hand, is left waiting for the moratorium on TV applications to end to find out what will replace Channel 2 analog from Bancroft.

·
Super Moderator
16,686 Posts
Channel 12 Durham to rebrand as Global Durham

Corus press release: CHANNEL 12 DURHAM TO JOIN GLOBAL NEWS
Global News is proud to announce that Channel 12 Durham, a Corus Entertainment-owned television station, will become the newest member of the Global News family. To be known as Global Durham, the station will feature expanded regional coverage while maintaining its focus on the local stories that matter most to its viewers.

Anchored by Lindsay Dunn, the channel 12 newscast will continue to air from 5:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. with additional airings at 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m ET.

Starting Monday, October 31, the show will have a fresh look featuring new branding as Global Durham. It will air alongside other Global programming including Toronto’s Global News at 5:30 & 6 and Global National.

Dan Carter, a valuable member of the Channel 12 Durham family and a pillar of the community will be taking a step back from his role as Executive Producer to focus on his duties as Regional Councillor for the City of Oshawa.

“Channel 12 Durham has been my passion project and I’m very proud of how far it’s come,” said Dan Carter, Regional Councillor, City of Oshawa. “I look forward to the next chapter for the station; I know Global News will bring much-needed updates and take the business to new heights.”

“Dan Carter has been vital to the station and we want to sincerely thank him for all of his contributions,” said Ward Smith, VP, Global News, Eastern Canada. “In coming together with Global Durham, we are once again underscoring our commitment to delivering relevant, comprehensive news coverage to all of our GTA communities.”

Global Durham’s new local and regional programming lineup:
  • Global Durham newscast at 5pm
  • Global News at 5:30 & 6
  • Global National at 6:30pm
  • Global Durham newscast at 7pm
  • Global Durham newscast at 11pm
Comment: It appears that the programming agreement for CTV entertainment content will not be affected.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CHEX TV Durham

It appears CHEX or Global Durham is airing Global Toronto news now from 5 30 to 6 30 pm and then national 6 30 to 7 pm. I don't understand why Corus has done this, since CHEX Peterborough has now lost a good size portion of their viewership in the oshawa area, and it also duplicates a newscast already available via cable, and ota in the durham region.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CHEX, does not have sat newscast at 6 pm from peterborough, but from toronto. My understanding, is that crtc ruled last june, that tv stations, must broadcast news 7 days a week,and must be produced by local staff for that market. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Global/Chex Durham

It looks like the oshawa station has now completely switched their newscasts over to Global Toronto...recently they were still airng CHEX tv news at noon. They do air Global Durham news at 5, with repeats at 7 pm and 11 pm weeknights, and a week in review weekends at 6pm and 11 pm. I don't understand the reasoning of duplicating and airing Global news toronto which is available OTA in the same area, and not airing Chex news, which a lot of durham viewers like to watch.Global Durham still airs ads for peterborough, so why not air some local news from peterboroigh also?

·
Registered
23 Posts
CHEX TV should apply to the CRTC for authority to use the former CBC rebroadcast transmitter in Huntsville to carry CHEX - TV Peterborough on Digital VHF Channel 8 with the effective radiated power of 43,000 watts to serve Muskoka and Haliburton Regions as CHEX-TV-3 Muskoka via off air digital antenna reception in cottage country in the Barrie - Muskoka area in North - Central Ontario and would carry Global News: Peterborough at Noon Global Peterborough should air local ads for Muskoka and Parry Sound. CHEX-TV should also use the former CBC Television rebroadcast transmitter in Parry Sound to carry the rebroadcast signal of CHEX-TV on digital UHF RF & PSIP Channel 18 with the effective radiated power of 50 watts to reach the Parry Sound and Sudbury viewing areas in North - Eastern Ontario.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts