Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched the pilot episode this morning.
Not bad quality, far better than SD channels I have tried to watch other older pre HD shows on.
Sound was not bad, music had some bass to it but surrounds were non-existent, but I guess that is to be expected.
I forgot how funny Coach was on that show.
PVR is set for the rest of the week so looking forward to some laughs and the "Norm" cheer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I liked the slower pacing of this era of TV. And it proved once again my old bromide that the first 2 or 3 years of a network show are usually the best, before the characters become walking/talking stereotypes and the writers run amok with romantic entanglements to spice up the ratings. I like Sammy single...hee hee

Thanks for the note.... HDNET has an eclectic schedule of shows and I like that ..

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
yeah id like to know too are these shows made from the original mastertapes like how seinfield is made in hd?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I don't have a for sure answer, but the transfer on HD Net looks amazing. It is in 16:9, so I am not sure if it is matted, or if the original was 16:9 then matted to 4:3. It might be the latter, because I didn't notice any "out of frame" problems with the action, and the credits are the originals done for a 4:3 mat.

It is definitely higher resolution than the old videos. I watched an episode today on HD Net, then watched some of an episode on PEACH. The difference was staggering.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Older shows that where shot on 35mm film i.e. Hogans Heroes on Universal HD can be converted to true HD very easily.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I also compared an episode from the Peach SD channel with HDNET and the difference was amazing. I don't know how the transfer to HD was done, and can't compare Peach with HDNET directly since the episodes are about 5 seasons apart. All I can compare is the picture of the bar in the ending credits. The info in the horizontal direction is the same (no clipping, nor added info) but not in the vertical direction. On HDNET, the picture seems to have been panned vertically then cropped (clipped). We see most of the ceiling lights in both cases, but less of the 4 bar stools on HDNET. In the SD version, we see the 4 bar stools all the way down to their middle braces. Thus so far, it seems the ending credits was in 4x3 and the picture was zoomed, then panned vertically before cropping the top/bottom.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ok, so it seems that the original 35mm print is 4x3 and the new telecline is matted at 16:9, removing info from the top/bottom pan/scan style. I'm ok with that, because it looks great. Sad I missed the premiere!

We need someone with the DVD box set to post up some comparision screen shots with the HD NET screens...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts