Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vista desktop,XP netbook,android phone and ps3

I dont really care about the android phone. And the PS3 i use VUSE and ps3 server from the Vista box.

Is there a cheap/free easy to use program i can run on my 2 PC's that will allow easy navigation of each others files? I'd like to be able to stream a movie to my netbook from time to time. Maybe something within XP and vista i already have? As a bonus it would be cool to run a movie on my android via wifi. but its not nessary

We are on Bell DSL and use there wifi router/modem..

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
For the PCs why not just create a shared folder that you can access from the other PC? The functionality is built-in to all the versions of Windows.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
On Vista and XP, you should be able right click on a directory and then set it up to share.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Windows file sharing is the best option and it's free. You may need to enable file sharing in Control Panel > Network and Sharing. (Name may vary with O/S.) Some of the sharing options depend on whether you use share or user control and whether users and passwords are set up on the computers. I would try Share Control and Simple File Sharing initially or if no user passwords are set.

You will need to allow file sharing in Windows Firewall on all PCs. Other firewalls may require authorization or may prompt to allow access.

To share a folder, right click on it and select Properties. Then select Sharing > Share.

To access a shared folder, open Windows Explorer (not IE) and select Network.

To map a shared folder to a local drive, open Windows Explorer and select Tools > Map Network Drive

To change the way folders are shared, open Windows Explorer and select or deselect Tools > Folder Options View > Use (Simple) File Sharing (Wizard). It should be the same on all systems. This is quite advanced but you may need to deselect this to get at advanced options for sharing between different versions of Windows or if user passwords are set.

Windows often requires a reboot after file sharing is enabled so reboot all systems before starting to pull your hair out. ;)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all i did the windows share thing... Its not the prettiest solution but it works. Ill have to play with my ps3 as i have never had much luck getting the windows media server icon thing to work. Thus the reason i use vuze and ps3 media server.

Helps to not name all my machines with my first name though! LOL So i added "-xp" and "-vista" to my netbook and desktop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts