Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty disappointed with CHCH this morning. First, they were showing the Royal Wedding. Before I get flamed, that in itself isn't all that bad, except, it was showing the same feed as all the other network channels. The real beef I have is that it was some knocked down SD conversion of the HD stream, which ended up being the poorest quality video I have ever seen of any broadcaster who are digital broadcasting to date. It bugged my eyes so much that I could only view it for a few seconds before having to turn it back to one of the other broadcasters.

It's not as though they don't have the capabilities to show the feed as the other broadcasters...or is that the case? If so, how are they able to show their movies in HD (if available via that media)? Maybe I'm just not understanding this through. I've been very happy with CHCH up to now, but this just seemed sub-standard, and they should have just stuck with their morning show routine, with news highlights of the wedding, and left the live feed to the other broadcasters that were able to show it right. </rant>

·
Registered
455 Posts
CHCH are operating under some kind of technical handicap. Their HD stuff is usually fine. I didn't see their Royal Wedding coverage so I can't comment on that but they are usually able to relay US HD programs with no issue and their HD movies are usually good as well. But their SD stuff from film is awful. I don't know what they are doing wrong but It looks so bad I am inclined to compare it to a VHS tape running at EP speed, dubbed a couple of times. I know much of their films can be regarded as "vintage" to use a gentle term but even when they air a film made in the 80's or 90's it is just terrible. This seemed to start when they were taken over by Channel One whose "Silver Screen" channel shares this awful quality. Come on CH. You have got to put out a quality product to get viewers and ad revenue.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Rights are also a major handicap for stations like CH and SSC. HD movie rights are often not available so they are stuck with SD quality sources. SSC also uses a lot of older sources. I suspect they are much cheaper. Once a movie is restored and remastered the copyright is renewed and the price goes up or the new version is unavailable.

We PVR'd the wedding on CBC HD, all 8 hours of it. Picture quality was good. 3-1/2 hours in (mostly on FF) the talking heads were finally gone and we got to see the royal family and guests. About a half hour later it was all over and the taking heads returned so we stopped watching. Would have watched the PBS HD feed but we couldn't get it.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Disappointment as well...... my wife filled the dang pvr with this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts