Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the CHCH press release:

Code:
CHCH … Your Superstation
Comes Back in a Big Way with a New Brand Identity
and Primetime Line-up!
(Toronto, Canada) Channel Zero announced today plans for CHCH this Fall. Starting August 30th,
the station is back in a big way with a new look, new programming, and an enhanced news
experience.
• Revitalized CHCH logo debuts, plus a fresh new look and feel for the station
• CHCH news programming reveals an all-day enhanced news experience for standard and
high-definition viewers
• Primetime line-up is stronger than ever with hit dramas, investigative news series,
blockbuster movies every night, Jimmy Kimmel Live and Nightline late night, plus the
return of Sportsline

Beginning August 30th, viewers can tune in to CHCH to enjoy the new primetime line-up and season
premieres.
• Supernatural [HD] – Season 6 premieres Thursday Sept 23 at 10pm
• 48 Hours Mystery – New season premieres Saturday Sept 25 at 10pm
o Last season’s episodes begin Saturday Sept 4 at 10pm
• Smallville [HD] – Final season premieres Tuesday Sept 28 at 10pm
• Chuck [HD] – Season 4 premieres Monday Sept 20 at 8pm
• 20/20 – New season premieres Friday Sept 24 at 10pm
• Sportsline – Premieres Monday Aug 30 and airs weeknights at 7pm
o Co-Host of CHCH’s current affairs program Square Off, Mark Hebscher returns to his
roots as Co-Host of Sportsline. Mark will be joined by CHCH Sports Anchor Clint ‘Bubba’
O’Neil to give fans an unfiltered take on sports. The new Sportsline will be provocative,
no-holds barred, irreverent, tell-it-like-it-is, and in your face!
• Nightline [HD] – New season premieres Monday Aug 30 and airs weeknights at 11:35pm
• Jimmy Kimmel Live [HD] – New season premieres Wednesday Sept 1 and airs weeknights at
Midnight
• Everybody Hates Chris – Season 1 premieres Monday Aug 30 and airs weeknights at 7:30pm
• CHCH continues to air great movies every night, with a Sunday blockbuster double-feature
closing the week
• Ed The Sock “This Movie Sucks” – New season premieres Saturday Sept 18 and airs weekly at
Midnight
Later this year, CHCH will continue to boost its schedule with more sport s and acclaimed news
programming:
• NBA Game of the Week [HD] - premieres Christmas Day with a double header
• 60 Minutes – premieres Sunday Jan 2
The press release also announces the newsroom HD enhancements.
Code:
Enhanced All-Day News
August 30th also marks the launch of an enhanced all-day news offering available to high-definition and
standard-definition viewers. Weekdays from 5:30am through till 6pm, CHCH will provide real-time onscreen
news headlines, traffic updates, and weather information. Relevant to residents throughout the
entire Golden Horseshoe, the station has expanded its news coverage to better serve a broader market,
targeting commuters, out-of-home and at-work viewers. “With these enhancements to our offering,
CHCH will continue to strengthen its tradition of delivering the region’s most-watched, most-trusted
news,” said Mike Katrycz, News Director at CHCHurl]
http://www.chch.com/index.php/r-coming-this-fall/fall-2010-press-release[/url]

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's funny how this is very close to what SunTV was like, but this time I'm very excited about it. SunTV shot themselves in the foot, in my opinion, trying to create synergies with their overworked barebones Sun news department.

Little old CHCH is so much better on news. I'm in Toronto and I find myself watching the Hamilton-Niagara-Peel news from CHCH much more than Toronto stations. It sounds like they're going to add more Toronto news, too. They really could end-up being a GTA Superstation.

Very clever bringing back Sportsline with Mark Hebscher and even Ed the Sock. CHCH will register on everyone's radar with these familiar personalities.

I wish them good luck and I'll be watching. No matter what happens to SunTV, at least we're gaining a more-watchable station in CHCH.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On CH this afternoon they were showing the new look of the all day news format. The screen format resembles the CCN newsbeat style with roaming banners at the bottom of the screen and side banners for weather and previews of what's coming up next, etc.. It actually looks impressive. I believe they said the new look will begin tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This is one Canadian station that begs for a subchannel. A 24-hour all-news SD sub-channel would be great. Use HD for primetime shows and movies. The best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
^
Maybe so but if you really lok at the schedule

1)a few of the shows are simocasts of the US station playing the same series.So either way you would of seen the show

2) a few of the shows are repeats of shows shown on pervious networks.

3)the same with sports. Most likely they'll be simocasts of games on ABC,CBS,ABC or Fox.

The only thing that might make a difference is the HD factor.

If CHCH want to "truely" show a exciting Prime Time line up, then they should of picked up shows from networks like F/X,TNT,and tons of other US channels not available in Canada. These networkss have shows not shown in Canada by any Canadian Network.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only problem with cramming all the weather and traffic onto the screen during Morning Live is less space to show the stunning Lesley Stewart :-(

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Most of the TNT, F/X and other cable series are pretty much scooped up by bigger networks. Also Channel Zero is looking to spend their money on the local content as thats the brand they are trying to build/present. This is why the majority of the primetime will still be movies.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
^
But alot are not.

Now grant you this doesn't effect me as I have DISH, but for those that don't have Dish or Direct, I feel sorry for them not because they don't have these two services but there missing out on shows they might like.

In all honest with the amount of speacialty channels that are on Canadian provoiders out of all those Canadian Speacialty ones they can't tell me they don't got room to show them? Perhaps if they'd stop showing the same series on 3 or 4 Speacialty channels they'd have room but thats debate for another thread.

·
Banned
262 Posts
I've been enjoying the movie line-ups CHCH has been programming lately. Lot's of 70s kung fu amongst others. Quite fun. Good to see some of my favourite returning shows are coming as well, particularly Supernatural. Admittedly, this is the first time I heard that Smallville's season will be it's last. I'm all choked up now...

CHCH was always a good station, even when it was independent. Can't speak to when it started as a CBC station though. Been through a lot, this station has.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Curious about the "enhanced news available for standard and high-definition viewers". Sounds to me like the crawler will be widescreen and that's likely it for HD stuff and news....

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
New retro logo is in play now on CHCH Hamilton.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The new look is a welcomed update. I'm watching Morning Live and find the traffic cam and weather to be good additions. It makes good use of all the extra space they had when they were only broadcasting in SD.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The graphics are HD but the video is still an SD Window within the graphics, similar to the CP24 format, but an improvement.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I like it. A 16:9-optimized version of CP24. Only better than CP24, and available OTA. Good job, CHCH!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Isn't the new logo reminiscent of the old CHCH logo from the 60s/70s? Or am I mixing it up with the old CFTO logo?

edit: D'oh! A quick look at Wikipedia confirms it IS a riff on the old CHCH logo. I should do better homework.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just got home and noticed the major changes.

News Now looks terrible. I mean, the graphics are alot nicer, and they're mostly in HD. However now it looks wayyy too cramped. Like the style, but definitely not the layout. Love the colours on the logo. Too many tickers and that advertisement to the left.

WAY too much stuff on the screen, and despite the actual video being sized down, it still looks like crap.

So some good, and some bad. Let's hope they get this sorted out.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup,.. it's quite busy CNN style. The biggest problem with the HD format will be for those who don't have wide screen TVs. No matter what apect ratio I tried the content runs off the edge. It's OK on the wide screen TV but severely clipped off at the edges on the older CRT's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts