Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CHCH Ch 18-1 doing funny things with HD, had some interference now it appears to be SD. No signal still on 11-1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep, dead over here at 9:36 too. I'm surprised they didn't mention it on the newscast that was going on. Did anyone else make a video? I did, but it's pretty fuzzy. I'll have it on YouTube later in the day.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm at work, but I setup my two media devices to record.

One to record 18-1 going down

The other to record 11 analog going down. I suppose I won't get the new 11-1 until I do a scan when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It has been about ten minutes since they switched off CHCH analog and moved the digital broadcast to real channel 11.1.

I watched it happen. Once CHCH analog on 11 switched off, I changed channels to the digital station. My TV automatically re-mapped to 11.1 from 18.1. No rescanning was needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been about ten minutes since they switched off CHCH analog and moved the digital broadcast to real channel 11.1.

I watched it happen. Once CHCH analog on 11 switched off, I changed channels to the digital station. My TV automatically re-mapped to 11.1 from 18.1. No rescanning was needed.
Bah? I've got 0 signal on channel 11.1, 18.1 is still blasting away.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah my TV's will most likely do it automatically, but my media machines won't. They will require re-scanning.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Post-Transition CHCH HD on real 11.1 will be a test of UHF Antennas

CHCH has switched off its analog signal.

In the coming hours or days, everyone should monitor CHCH's digital reception.

Soon CHCH will be be doing its digital broadcast on real channel 11. Those using Channel Master 4221hd antennas will be especially curious to see if their UHF antennas can pick-up CHCH from Hamilton in digital on high-vhf channel 11.

Stay tuned. I have my 4221hd aimed at WGRZ without any amplifier connected to a TV here. This set-up is convenient, simple, and inexpensive. CHCH's changes will be the real world test we need to determine how good VHF reception can be using the "wrong" antenna (4221hd are UHF antennas).

·
Registered
57 Posts
not yet

I have phoned my wife twice now.. still CHCH still on 18.1 :(

As a side question, the loss of just one analog station in vhf-hi could that clean up the air waves to help reception of stations like WNGS (now WBBZ I believe)?

cheers

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soo... Did they take a break and go to Tim Hortons? HDHomerun keeps going between 20%-70% Signal Strength since 9:35 but not sure if that's just distance stations.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yeah, I just re-scanned. I guess I was a bit ahead of myself. The digital channel is still on real channel 18 for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Actually, my tuners are reporting that CHCH is still broadcasting digital on channel 18. The change hasn't happened yet...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think it takes time to disconnect the analog transmitter feed and connect the digital transmitter feed when you are using the same antenna.Flash cut is only a term not reality.

·
Registered
57 Posts
funny

My co-workers are having trouble figuring out why am so excited and in a good mood on a Monday morning :), I told them OTA, and one guy asked if they have it at shoppers drug mart. So I added digital transition CHCH and I think he things that I have some kind of disease now :O)

1 - 20 of 462 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.