Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying a new setup at a trailer park.
My dish is 33 inches ,KU,C band Lnb.
When i aim the dish at 97 W do i have to add or subtract for the magnetic deviation?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Try dishpointer.com. This site will give you all the necessary settings based on your lacation

·
Registered
890 Posts
You add the magnetic deviation to the true azimuth direction. As Jorgek says, use dishpointer.com. it makes it all a lot simpler.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
The way I try to remember is when aiming, add the magnetic decl. to ur magnetic compass reading.
When measuring Azimuth subtract the magnetic decl from the magnetic compass reading to get the bearing relative to true north.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The way I try to remember is when aiming, add the magnetic decl. to ur magnetic compass reading.
When measuring Azimuth subtract the magnetic decl from the magnetic compass reading to get the bearing relative to true north.
Thanks,will try that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've always just pointed my dishes using either a receiver/tv on the roof with me, or with a spectrum analyzer. The SA is particularly useful for setting the skew to mimimize the cross-polarity interference. I ended up using a old battery powered handheld lct tv, a satellite receiver installed indoors, have the RF output of the receiver fed into the cable using a diplexer, and another diplexer on the roof so I can get my RF video into the portable TV. When I'm done the installing, I take out the diplexers and weatherproof the outdoor connections. I still prefer to aim with the SA, but it's 90 pounds, and I DON'T like hauling it up a ladder more than a couple of rungs to a low roof!

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
His question was merely about how to read a compass.
I don't put satellite antennas on the roof. As long as you have LOS, put em on the ground on a pole for easy access. I use a computer based tuner to aid fine tuning. Your computer can be accessed remotely from your cell phone.
I have never once dragged receiver equipment outside for tinkering in the yard.
Albeit, if you have done things correctly, a guy shouldn't need to get out there very often for tweaking, if at all.

·
Registered
391 Posts
@AlexNew,
A 33" dish with a C/Ku LNBF? Might want to try with a regular 10750 (standard) LNBF for Ku only first. The combo LNBFs are a compromise and likely won't pick up much Ku and no C-band on such a small reflector. Any satellite would be a nightmare to find using this configuration. You'll end up pulling all your hair out (and end up looking like me!). These should be available locally (in Canada) by several retailers. Do you have the original LNB holder? If not you might need one to replace the C-band holder as well.
This would be step #1 IMHO.
97w Ku is fairly easy to find. Is this a stationary dish or is it motorized? If you can program a transponder into your receiver or analyzer, try 12151 H 20000 3/4 qpsk. it's a good strong transponder and doesn't exist on other nearby satellites.
Good luck!
-G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts