Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am disappointed by the number of channels Bell Satellite has dropped recently. They have dropped these channels without replacing them with other channels. I am just wondering what channels they plan on dropping next. Just recently Speed, CBS Sport Network and Sky TG News were dumped.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
cyclist44, it was actually called SkyTG24, and in all onesty, it was a crap channel, im glad they removed it, I would much rather watch something like media set italia canada which i do get now. as for CBS Sports, never ever watched it once in my life, i dont know what kind of stuff they would air on ther? NAACP college sports perhaps? and Speed was not rebranded in canada, it was discontinued, the rebrand was only on the usa feed, we were getting the international feed, which also australia got as well i heard. it was also a crap channel, all i recall is re-runs of mtvs pimp my ride, with the word mtv censored out, and no more formula 1 raceing. etc

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
What I can't understand is how company like Bell can operate two different types of BDU's systems and yet have not the same line up(not locals but other specialty channels).

Like on BTV SKY TG24, CBS Sports & Speed where dropped
Yet SKY TG24 is still available on Bell Fibe?

Like wise with
BPM:tv
The Horse Racing channels

are on BTV, but not on Fibe.

There even channels owned by Bell that are not on either system, GO FIGURE!!! :confused:

I can understand BTV has Bandwidth issues and they can only add so many channels to their both sats and unless they get back 72 or convert everything to MPEG4 SD & HD they will always either not be able to add more channels with out effecting PQ or will drop certain channels for other ones.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I personally service several Horse racing locations throughout Ontario and they are almost all too remote for Fibe, so are fed with Sat Services. This could well be why Bell choose to only use Sat for these channels, as the customer base on Fibe is too small and lets face it, if you really want thee channels, you can always put up a Dish. You can't exactly just expect a Fibe connection can you.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
No I was commenting on the differences between the two. Don't watch the horse racing channels even when I had BTV, the only one I miss is BPM:tv but you can't get that by itself with BTV, on Rogers yes but I'll never go back to Rogers.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bell dropped CBS because of the competition it was becoming for their own product (ncaa football package + tsn).

Such a joke. They're a monopoly. They do what we want.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Channels Dropped On Sept 18th

The following channels were dropped:

668 BEJTV
669 CCTV
670 CCTV 4
671 CYRT
672 DRGTV
674 FUNTV
675 HUNTV
676 JIAG

Maybe Bell Satellite is trying to create more band with.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
I think BTV is getting out of the Ethnic pop and letting Bell Fibe take care of it. BFTV has over 250 ethnic services now and more or less there in most of the GTA,Hamilton Southern Ontario & Eastern Ontario & Montreal where the majority of ethnic pop lives?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
@ MCIBUS, are you seriously telling me that Bell Fibe has "over 250 ethnic" channels.? Seams a lot to me.

There are still lots of areas and buildings where Fibe is NOT available even in downtown Toronto.....

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
For the second part of your question?

I'm not sure of what exactly Bell Fibe is in every area.

For the first part of your question?

Yes, i"m not joking. Bell has over 250 ethnic services, just this month alone they at least 5 or so launched. On average they seem to launch anywhere between 3-8 ethnic channels a month.Some I'm not even sure why? IE Mad World as an example plays Greek Music video's, an in all honesty the majority who watch the Greek channels are the "older Generation" Parents & Grandparents, most of the younger generation usally don't watch them.Not sure if this is the same in al ethnic pop groups or npt.

BTV WILL NEVER have the same amount of Ethnic services as Bell Fibe,

Band width for one and most live in major cities like in the GTA, Ottawa & Montreal.

Also I think BFTV is tryiong to compete with Rogers in Ontario & Videotron in Montreal.

Now grant you I don't know what the ethnic break down is these Metropolitan is, so can't really say what their sub rate is to these channels.

But it appears at least BFTV has GONE ETHNIC CRAZY!!! with every(well almost every)ethnic channel that have either launched or will if licensed

Because if you look at their line up the ethnic channels run from about 650-899 with only a few missing channels and have even started placing "new ones' in the 2000 range.

The catch is even if they get more ethnic subs from other providers, those subs still need to sub at least to the basic package before they can sub to any ethnic service.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They are trying to compete not only with Rogers but with OTT services like Russian, Chinese and Indian IPTV services which have hundreds of channels, and their own set top boxes. These services are cheaper than Bell or Rogers.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I still watch satellite TV so I hope they don't remove the Italian channels. They did remove sky tg24 Italia Canada but that channel was use less

·
Registered
114 Posts
After December 3, 2014, Juicebox and ESPN Classic will no longer be available on Bell TV.
After December 3, 2014, Much Vibe and BPM.TV will no longer be available on Bell TV.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I find it hilarious that Bell are dropping ESPN Classic. When they dropped Speed, they had to re-tune all the Headend Systems and 90% from what I hear went to ESPN Classic, so this will mean yet another Truck Roll to countless dozens of locations. What a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
This is not good at all at least for BPM:tv. The chances of BPM:tv showing up on Bell Fibe just went from 50/50 to ZERO, ZILICH,NADA, to an't gonna happen.

As for Juicebox & Much Vibe & ESPN Classics being dropped,this leads me to believe that these may be on their last legs as channels. I think shortly after this that these will shut down.

As for BPM:tv I have a feeling this to won;'t be around for much longer as Shaw doesn't carry it and the only others I'm aware of is Rogers,Videotron & Bell Aliant although since Bell now owns it wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped as well.

I've lost all respect for Bell.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts