Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, been awhile since i've been here so hope everyone is well. Presently my roof looks like the command center for Norad, i have 2 CM4228's, 3 Sat dishes and 1 FM yagi up there. I recently have gotten into HD radio and have issues receiving a couple stations i want clearly and a couple tv stations. I live in Hamilton Ontario and my issues are with Buffalo NY 50 miles away. I've read that the antenna in my title is supposed to fix this in some reviews but can't find anything on it's FM strength and it's build quality also it says it can reach out to 100 miles, any truth to that. Thanks for any help my way. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
The HD component of the FM signal is broadcast at 1% of the total analog power (down 20 dB). That makes long-range reception of FM signals largely an unfulfilled idea and not easily obtainable beyond sub-urban and near-rural zones. A radius of 50-60% of the analog coverage area would be typical for HD radio at current power levels. There are currently industry requests to increase HD power to -12 or even -10 dB of the analog power, but those proposals have not been acted upon. Should that occur, HD FM coverage should come closer to replicating analog coverage.

Ken Nist's modeling of the 3671 at (hdtvprimer) suggests that FM gain should vary between 6.5 and 7 dBi (4.3-4.8 dBd). Since CM doesn't publish any gain figures, those are the only ones available for comparison purposes. Both Antennacraft and Winegard make large multi-element (6-8 elements) dedicated FM Yagi antennas that will, on paper, outperform the 3671 (for FM).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, food for thought. :) To add the FM yagi i presently have on the roof already is a large Winegard, i figured i could clean up the roof a bit by getting a large multiple use yagi for tv and FM

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
the FM yagi i presently have on the roof already is a large Winegard
Well then, the CM3671 isnt going to help your FM situation. Double check the little things, like good clean connections at the antenna terminals. If you have a cable run of more than 30 or so feet, consider a preamp.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
A Preamp for FM can overload (degrading both FM and Hi-VHF) if you have powerful FM towers
within about 20 miles or less powerful towers within say 10 miles....and, of course, low-gain
Preamps are less likely to overload than hi-gain Preamps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the CM3671 have 2 cables coming down from the antenna, 1 each for TV and FM. As far as FM stations are concerned, the closest i would listen to are located in Toronto, 35 miles down the road in regards to using a pre-amp, thanks. :)

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Nope, it certainly doesnt look like it. AFAIK, no vhf/fm/uhf combo antenna does.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/CM3671.html

the closest i would listen to are located in Toronto, 35 miles down the road
Thats not quite what holl_ands meant. Even if you dont listen to it, a strong FM station nearby can overload you and mess up all stations. Go to FMFool.com and check.

Cable losses are lower at FM frequencies than for UHF frequencies, but if you got excessive cable, a preamp will help. But check to make sure you have clean connections first. It doesnt take all that long for corrosion to take place. Sometimes its amazing what cutting off an old end piece and re-stripping it will do.

If you have a cable run of more than 30 or so feet, consider a preamp.
Sorry, I was thinking UHF, for FM the guideline would be somewhere around 60 to 80 feet, unless your FM tuner has a crappy RF amp, which a preamp would also help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok i guess come Spring it'll be maintenance time, thanks alot for all the input people, it's really appreciated. You all have a great evening. :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Using a preamp for Fm when your so close to a local 100kw transmitter in Hamilton 95.3 will cause overload.Generally preamps dont help much with FM anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Generally preamps dont help much with FM anyway.
Agreed. In my many years of FM DXing, I always found the best results with an un-amplified FM Yagi. Even my 16 foot long Channel Master 1110 couldn't beat a dedicated FM antenna. Electrical interference from overhead power lines has always been the biggest obstacle.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Electrical interference from overhead power lines has always been the biggest obstacle.
Yep, same goes for channel 6 TV, (which I could pick up on the FM band). Channel 6 and FM lie in a harmonic of the 60hz line noise. :mad: Anybody in the neighborhood starts up a power saw or even an old drill, and you can immediately see it. Channel 2 and 3, not so bad. Channel 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, couldnt even notice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just thought i would add, took me a bit to find it but the existing FM antenna i'm currently using is an Winegard HD6055. :)The large power lines that run along the lake are very close to me but i haven't noticed any issues from them. Keep in mind i'm no genius at this that's why i ask. Thanks folks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gee i didn't know the lake made a difference, my antennas are about 30 ft up, with no obstructions. Just reading the specs on my Winegard HD-6055 antenna and it shows 40 miles for FM and Buffalo is further. Perhaps the CM3671 might be better

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Its not the lake, its because you are so relatively low and the escarpment towards Buffalo is blocking the signal. Even though Im in Delaware, I do know the Hamilton area fairly well, heh.

In Hamilton, theres about 300+ ft or more stairs that lead up to the top of the escarpment. Then theres a winding road that cars take up to it. As a kid, I would get dropped off at the bottom of the stairs and race the car to the top. Most of the time, I won, heh. You probably played that game too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't wan't people to get the wrong idea that i have a major issue here, for HD tv i get everything local including Buffalo except for the Ion channels most of the time, sometimes if the atmospheric pressure is right i can get Rochester. I have 2 HD radio home tuners and the only station that is somewhat problematic is the Lake 107.7 but not always. Tomorrow i'm having a HD pioneer deck put in the car hopefully it is well. This thread i created was just to get a little improvement. Sorry if anyone felt mislead.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
somewhat problematic is the Lake 107.7 but not always
Check FMFool.com for its signal strength to you.

Tomorrow i'm having a HD pioneer deck put in the car hopefully it is well.
Automobile AM/FM radios are quite good and cheap DXing units. You should be able to get a good idea about your signal strengths with it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Look at the gain specs of the antennas. Ignore the mileage ratings. The 3671 has an average gain of 5.6db on low VHF. The Winegard HD 6055 has around 8 db on 98 Mhz & 8.6 db on 108 Mhz. You would be hard pressed to do much better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts