Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what I need hockey season starting and we cant get channel 218 sportsnet pacific HD just says "one moment please" and never comes on.
any body else have this issue? all other channels work!!!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Mine works fine, but for me 218 is Sportsnet - West HD
If all your other channels that you subscribe too are working then maybe there is a temporary signal issue or a call to shaw is in order.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Could be a problem with the signal at your home. Perhaps if you update your area in your profile or mention the city you live in this could assist others in that area to check it for you. If that doesn't work call Shaw and they can troubleshoot or book a SC.

Are there any splitters (or other pieces of equipment) between the wall and the DCT? If possible try removing those prior to calling to see if that will restore the signal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I live in Abbotsford BC, we have two HD boxes in the house and this channel dosent work for both of them.
Shaw has sent someone out to look but cant seem to figure out why this is happening.
Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Could you check other channels on the same frequency? Channels 5, 7, 9, 87 and 117 should all be right around there. I'm guessing they may not be working as well.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Keep calling until they come and fix the problem
This.

I was renting for a while and both of us in the house started losing one channel and only one... DiscoveryHD. Shaw came out twice and fixed nothing despite checking signal strength, etc. before deciding that another tech would be scheduled to come back with an amplifier and if that didn't work they were going to start rewiring. Well, the guy never showed but we saw a service truck in the area around the service window time then 30 minutes later everything was perfect. In the end it was some problem not on our property.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I did and they sent someone out but they dont seem to know why.
It would likely be a signal strength issue which the tech should have been able to detect using his test equipment. The other channels I listed are on the same channel frequency so if they frequency is getting impaired (problem in home or on street) then channels start disappearing. A tech should really be able to find and fix that for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It sounds like there is a problem with the individual QAM that those channels are on. That is one of the most difficult things for a field tech to properly diagnose. In all likelyhood the signal meter showed a good signal. For a newer or lesser quality tech that might be the end of the road. There are several things that could be the problem, from any one of the amplifiers on the lines leading to your house to a faulty laser emitter at your local hub.

Your only solution is to keep calling and to get the situation escalated to one of the foreman who will at least send out a more experinced tech who can then escalate the problem to the maintenance crew who are responsible for the signal until it reaches the drop to your house.

Of course this is cable troubleshooting by a former Shaw tech from my couch so take it for what it is worth, probably just slightly more useful that what you get from phone support. :) (phone support and field techs as a general rule don't get along very well)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had this problem a couple of times, usually on HLN and ABC-HD. Strangely enough, both times the problem was on one cable but not the other -- hitting "Swap" allowed me to watch the channel.

Talked to Shaw on the phone the first time, they reset the box and all was well. Second time I reset the box myself, and it worked.

Is there such a thing as an intermittent signal degradation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this problem before many times. The only solution is to power the box off and on, and just like resetting a frozen computer, it fixes the problem.

I don't know how this situation comes up, but I have a theory.

Next time you notice that one of your channels has that message "one moment please etc etc", take a moment and flip through all of your HD channels, I think you will find that 2 or more other channels are also afflicted with this message.

The strange thing is that if you swap tuners, you'll find that those channels are available on the other tuner, but not on the first one you swapped from.

The situation seems to me to come up through the recording process. If you select a program to record by "just" pressing the record button while on the channel that you want to record, it may trigger that "one moment please" problem on the other tuner, with the channels affected being the ones that you have most recently tuned to.

I have this theory because during the olympics this problem was popping up every night when I was trying to record olympic coverage just using the "record" button...I would find that I was then unable to watch specific olympic channels on the other tuner, they all had the "one moment please" message, and they were always the channels I had just most recently been flipping/cycling through watching.

Consequently, I never record a program unless I schedule it through the menu, I never use the "record" button on the remote to record anything.

As I said earlier, the only way I've found to get the channels all back on both tuners is to unplug then plug back in, this will clear those "one moment please" messages

1 - 15 of 15 Posts