Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to have the listings channel viewed with an HD box?

I know of some elderly users that aren't comfortable with the guide buttons. They have just been issued a motorola box but it skips over the TV listings channel (Channel 11 in Saskatoon).

Anyone know if this channel can be reinstalled?

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Shaw does not broadcast a digitally mapped version of the TV Listings channel, since your HD box has a searchable guide, which is more useful.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There is a way but it would probably lead to a lot more issue.

(Splitter before HD DCT with one side feeding direct to TV. Then every time they want to check the TV Listings channel they would have to flip from Input xxx to channel 2 on TV, check the listings, then go back to input xxx and change the channel. Again it's a lot more work and can cause a LOT or no signal challenges. A good sit down and tutorial on the On Screen Guide and they would likely understand and enjoy it.)

·
Registered
442 Posts
You can also look at it this way. The TV listing channel is there for ads and advertising space. The channel itself has recently being seen by less and less
people as most Shaw subscribers are purchasing digital terminals. This leaves
the audience for the TV listings channel available to only subscribers without
a digital terminal (analog), so the advertising would reach a smaller audience.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I never noticed that I don't have access to CH17 (Listing channel in Vic) via my HDPVR. Learn something new every day :p

I do however use that channel when I am somewhere without a cable box, and I find the layout to be terrible. They used to have the screen split with the advertising on the right side instead of the top and you could see more than three channels listed at a time.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
As was mentioned earlier, the TV Listings Channel is no longer available to those with a box. Why, I don't really know, it's not like it would eat up bandwidth. I know there is a guide with the box but many older people don't know how to use the IPG.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As was mentioned earlier, the TV Listings Channel is no longer available to those with a box. Why, I don't really know, it's not like it would eat up bandwidth. I know there is a guide with the box but many older people don't know how to use the IPG.
The TV Listing channel is not broadcast in a digital format so it only comes through as an anlogue channel. If you have an older model DCT that has an anlogue tuner then there is a small chance you can get this channel. All newer DCTs that are all digital only will not be able to tune the channel in as it's not in a digital format for it to pull in.

·
Banned
78 Posts
The TV Listing channel is not broadcast in a digital format so it only comes through as an anlogue channel. If you have an older model DCT that has an anlogue tuner then there is a small chance you can get this channel. All newer DCTs that are all digital only will not be able to tune the channel in as it's not in a digital format for it to pull in.
You're saying that all the basic, T1, T2 and T3 channels are now digital? How come I can get them without a cable box?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
sebberry,

You don't mention what the model number of PVR you have but I would suspect it is an all digital box (Moto 3416 or a Pace maybe?). As such, it cannot receive any analogue signals. The old style listings channel is only available in an analogue format. A 'regular' tv can see analogue signals without a cable box. If you have a newer 'digital' tv, you still wouldn't see the old listings channel, or any others, because Shaw has encrypted their digital signals requiring you to use one of their Set Top boxes to receive the programming. For now, Shaw 'broadcasts' in both analogue and digital but eventually, as the USA has done, Canada will become 'all digital' and you will only be able to watch tv through either a cable box or over the air using a digital receiver or digital tuner built into the tv.

Does that help any or have I just totally confused you?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I think that you have misstated a few points, Jetranger.

1) Most newer TVs, including HDTVs, sold in Canada are capable of receiving both analog and digital reception. Analog cable channels would show up, just like on a "regular" TV, and so such TVs would be able to receive the TV Listings channel (ch 54 in Winnipeg) without a cable box.
2) The digital transition in the states only mandated that over-the-air broadcasts be transitioned. Cable providers can, and do, still provide analog cable service for their basic tiers.
3) To the best of my knowledge, Shaw plans to continue carrying analog signals well past August 2011. Only TVs without a cable box (or with an older cable box that has an analog tuner) will be able to receive these signals.

I'd also like to note that in the USA, unlike in Canada, most cable providers broadcast their basic cable (and corresponding HD channels) in "Clear QAM", enabling customers to receive those channels in digital format without a cable box or CableCard.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Thanks, tux.

I stand corrected on the first point. I was thinking that one might get the idea that a digital tuner equipped TV should be able to receive Shaw's service. As for the others, you kind of confirm what I was saying except for the fact that I know Shaw can't wait until they can drop ALL analogue services. I heard this a couple of years ago from one of their Directors. As you point out, in Canada, the QAMs are encrypted and require the Set Top Box to watch the service. This is Shaw's preferred method of delivery as it gives them the most control over who sees what.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts