Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been with Rogers for several years and my 3 year contract has expired a long time ago, therefore I think the phone is mine now. If i wanted to change the phone, say if i buy an unlocked phone from Newegg or something and take out the Sim card from my current phone and just plug it into the unlocked phone, will that work (I have verified that the phone I am looking at is compatible with Rogers network)?

Do i need to contact Rogers if I am doing this?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
the phone is not yours at the end of the contract, its yours from the minute you sign the contract, and yes you can change your phones at any time, you do not need to call in. thats the beauty of gsm and hspa networks, just pop it in and go.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Do i need to contact Rogers if I am doing this?
All you have to do is move the SIM, as I did when I got my Nexus One. However, if it's a smart phone, you'll want to contact Rogers to either arrange for a data plan or block data entirely, so you don't get a surprise bill.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
yes for voice calls, it will continue to work.

for data, different phones require different data plans, if you have an internet plan that is designed for smartphones, it will work on any phones even dumb phones. but if you have a data plan that is for unlimited mobile browsing (on device browsing) only non-smart phones will work with this data rate otherwise you have to change it to the next one up.

blackberry data plans work in non-blackberries, but non-blackberry data plans do not work in blackberries.

hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts