Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Changes / Improvements you would like to see in MTS Ultimate TV?

9K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Mozza 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

I recently had MTS Ultimate TV installed (switched from Shawdirect).

Overall I am happy with the switch. I love having 3 TV's hooked up, and having the Whole Home PVR.

However, there are some things that I preferred with Shaw Direct. I was hoping we could use this thread as a place to capture things we wished were changed or improved with MTS Ultimate. Maybe some of the things we wish for are already offered, but we don't know about them?

Also, maybe the guys who know Mediaroom can let us know if some of the suggestions are technically possible or not?

Here are somethings that I wished MTS TV had:

1) The ability to handle the SD and HD feeds separately. By this I mean with Shawdirect I could have my SD channels stretched to fill the width of my TV, and I could leave the HD channels alone. With MTS, there is no such functionality. I can change the setting on my TV, but that changes it for both SD and HD, which is no good.

2) The ability to put a "reminder" or "switch to" tag on a channel for a show at a later time. With Shawdirect I could tag a show that is going to play at say 8 o'clock, and have box would either give me a reminder when it was 7:59, or automatically switch to the show. It's not a huge thing, but I liked the feature.

3) Not a big deal for me, but my wife liked the color coded Shawdirect Guide. Would it be possible to add an option to make the guide color coded? (I.E. sports = green, movies = blue), etc.

Anyone have any others?

See less See more
#2 ·
1) If you press the "Enter/Aspect" button there is a menu called Aspect, you can change the aspect to stretch, Zoom1, 2, 3. It applies to all channels though both HD and SD. but it is better than changing the TV settings.

2) Auto-Tune has been discussed before, there is no feature in Mediaroom for that.

3) No colored guide in Mediaroom

I would be happy with any or all of these features, they would be a great addition to the service.

#9 ·
Yeah, and the thing that some people still find annoying is that if you are watching an SD show on an HD channel, you still get black bars on the sides because you can't stretch it (though zooming it might fix it, but then you're cutting off something else)

#11 ·
1 - Set/change PVR setting from a smartphone.
2 - Stream content to a smartphone.
3 - PC as a STB.
4 - XBOX 360 as a STB.
5 - Ability to add more storage.
6 - Ability for the box to figure out if the overall preventing recordings is limited to over runs (ie 1 minute of three shows due to one ending at 9:01 pm and two others start at 9:00 pm).

#12 ·
1. for recording a series, the ability to only record on a certain day.
2. a couple more channel lines in the program guide, maybe 2-3
3. auto enable/disable channels depending on subscription, ability to over ride as well
4. smartphone app
5. bring back colors in the program guide
6. ability to change channel order
7. another hd stream
8. ability to READ from a USB stick to play movies

#14 ·
Just had the service for 1 week but here is my 2 cents:

1.HD channel numbering. I find it is very messy the way they are setup. They should be grouped by package with gaps for future channels.
2.Timer Auto tune. I like waking up in the morning and turning on the TV to a certain news channel.
3.Guide transparency: allow an option to disable a transparent guide. I find it can be hard to read depending on room lighting.
4.Delay in pressing guide button to when it is shown on the tv. I notice a 3-4 second delay.
5.A guide option (by selecting guide again?) to only see subscribed channels. Would be a very nice feature.

#16 ·
yes that is possible. but the navigation is very slow, and that was prior to the fiasco of the latest update, which has imposed a 3-4 second delay in the pvr receiving the remotes commands. Must be due to high sunspot activity in my living room, or maybe its dark matter.

what he is talking about is the same that i posted. why cant the pvr automatically pick up the channels that you are subscribed to? so instead of having to go through each channel individually to find what you want, only show what you actually have, with the ability to customize from there?

i my self was extremely happy with the service prior to last update, but find that the new 'enhancements' really piss me off. nothing like an unresponsive remote, that after 12 seconds decides to react to EVERY command that you sent to the PVR, that it had ignored. stupid last channel 'feature' is retarded. the new aspect ratio is no longer any good. nothing like having to spend a good 30-40 seconds to change the aspect ratio that used to take 5 seconds.

not really sure who the idiots are at MTS who come up with these new 'enhancments/features', they obviously do not even use MTS tv, as they would have seen within the first 5 minutes, how stupid they are.

#18 ·
you do realize that MTS has probably next to nothing to do with the "enhancements" when I start reading about what Telus and AT&T customers are having for problems it is pretty evident that it is a Microsoft issue.

I know that is hard to believe since Microsoft never causes problems with updates to it's software :p LOL. Still from what I keep reading here and on the AT&T forum I would have to venture a guess that whatever the issues Microsoft is likely getting an earful to fix things

#20 ·
@Don J, I found that if I customize and remove channels, those channels don't show up when I do a search. This cuts down on the search results if you remove channels you don't subscribe to or don't watch.

For example, if you have an SD TV and remove the HD broadcast networks, they won't show up in the search results. Conversely, if you have an HD TV and remove the SD "duplicate" channels, you won't see them in the searches. You can also remove the timeshift channels you don't subscribe to and remove the clutter.

#22 ·
@Don J, here's the test I tried:
1. Customize the channel guide so that 17 YTVe is check-marked and 18 YTVw is not.
2. Search for "Scaredy".
3. You should get results for "Scaredy Squirrel" on channel 17 and not 18.
4. Customize the guide so that 17 and 18 are not checked.
5. Repeat the search and you will get no matches.

If you get different results, please post the Mediaroom version you're using.

Edit: To customize the guide, press Menu, Settings, Television, Customize channel guide. (I'm not talking about changing the favourites.)

#23 ·
I confirmed it with one other person here at work ( MTS ).
We both have customised our guides. Coincidentally we both searched for 'hockey' and both received a whack of hits for channels we don't have.
I found out from one of the Ultimate TV support people that there is a setting in MediaRoom which if set, would populate the Guide with only your subscribed channels.
So for at least some subscribers the idea that the only results returned are for their subscribed channels is wrong !.

#24 ·
Don J, did you try my test? I just tried it again and got the same results.

Is the Mediaroom setting for subscribed channels something that can be changed by a user or is it set by the provider?

Are you using the current production version of Mediaroom - 2.0.26496.3?

Edit: There's a difference between subscribed channels and customized channels.

Edit2: I tried your "hockey" test and got "That's Hockey 2 Nite" along with many other shows. I have this guide customized so TSN (22) is included but TSN HD (475) is not. The results only showed the channel 22 shows and not the channel 475 shows.

#25 ·
No, I didn't try your test. I didn't see it until this morning and I'm away from home.
I am aware of the difference between subscribed and customised channels. My friend and I have both customised our guides to only show our subscribed channels.
As for the the mediaroom version - I'm not sure of the version number but it was recently upgraded and I have have the latest changes to the Last Channel functionality
The Mediaroom setting is set by MTS not the customer.

#26 ·
Question answered !!!
I talked to the guy who's in charge of running the servers and mediaroom for MTS Ultimate TV. It's a known problem that a search will deliver results from unsubscribed channels.

MTS has talked to Microsoft and is waiting for an response.

He says we're running 2.0.3.3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.