Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to charge the region code for this player. Ideally, I'd like to make it region free. I think there is a button on the remote and then you press the button zero. But that button is usually a secret. Anyone have an idea on how to do this?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think the bottom line for these, like some other Sony/Pio recorders and players, is you either need the service remote, or to program another remote to put out the same codes as the service remote. You can't do it with the remote they give you. It is not easy to get the service remote IR code info either, it is only available for programming a few specific remotes = pretty much forget it by yourself (unless you have one of those remotes).

If it's mostly for DVD playback, probably easier/cheaper to just buy an all-region player, while it's still fairly easy (it is NOT getting easier, they are getting fussier in the U.S., which affects us). You should be able to find one for well under $50, more like $30.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies

Thank you cfraser and DSgamby for your replies.

For the record, I did do a google search today on this subject. And while it gave some hints that the info might be there, when you went to the suggested site, it really wasn't. Mostly information for other recorders.

I think cfraser might be right because one theme that I keep here is that you have to get a one for all remote.

I really wish I thought about this before I purchased this recorder last year because I paid over 300 euros for it, and that was a very reduced price. We'll see, may be I buy another if necessary.

Thanks to you both.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
What exactly is your objective with the recorder, once you change the region code? Doesn't the code only affect DVD playback? Or does the "wrong" region code get attached to any DVDs you record? (This doesn't make sense to me, but you never know...)

You can probably still get the necessary OFA remote, the ones you have the codes/info for, used at least. Might cost "a bit" since some older models are kind of desirable for arcane reasons, but should certainly be well under $50 (to set a max). No guarantees the entire unlocking process would work though.

If other-region DVD playback is the objective, and you're in Canada, Walmart has some all-region DVD/BD players from time to time, though that feature isn't advertised. They may still have some now, I got one a few weeks ago. Tend to be off-brands, but decent DVD playback is available cheaply now, often better via HDMI than many of the name-brand players of a few years ago (in case the aspect of using an off-brand vs a few-year-old Sony for DVD bothers you).

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Very first google search found this page

Region code hack posted by laertiscy, July 01 2008:
Here I paste from another post not mine how you can program a one for all remote for sony dvd recorder rdr-hx710. Code is the same also for sony rdr-hx780 but with some differences in the whole procedure.You can also use any remote that has the same code or a Palm. Procedure is at the end of this message.

Region code hack posted by afilo, November 27 2005:
"Well this is the procedure with the URC-8204 ONEFORALL...
First of all set the command mode of the recorder to "DVD1" from the menu and from the remote.
After that
1.Hold Magic button(the hat icon) until the led flashes twice.
2.Select the "Dev Set" icon and then select the "DVD" icon
3.Press 0, 5, 3 and 3 and the led flashes twice.
4.Then press OK.
5.After that the URC can manage the recorder...check it

MAIN PROCEDURE

1. Hold SET (the icon with the hat) button until the LED blinks twice.
2. Select the "KEY MAGIG"
3. Press the "DVD" icon
4. Now type 001891
5. LED blinks twice
6. Repeat steps 2-5 and enter the codes 002552,000953,002214,000745.
7. Put the player on standby
8.Press 1,2,3,4,5 (pause briefly between each button and
make sure LED of remote flashes)
9. Hit the ON/OFF button from the URC 8204 and the first message on the screen of the player must be "TIMER OK"
10.Thats it.........you are done..i also tried disks from region 4 and works"

About the "main procedure":
Between steps 3 and 4 one must press the magic button shortly.

I had to first change the command mode to dvd-1, and then use the search function to get the Kameleon 8204 to work but after that afilo's system worked, with the addition of that one press of magic button.
Got the "timer ok" when powering up and now shows all regions.

NOW HERE IS THE CRACK PROCEDURE
Turn on DVD recorder follow on screen setup- you can skip tuning channels-. Now open tray press 1,2,3,4,5 on remote,"timer OK " message will uppear on recorders lcd panel and will automatically power off,but tray will remain open. Power on and again need to be setup ie country time and date tunning etc.Thats it now its multi region
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks//9377

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If you need to use a Kameleon (and I'm not positive you do), they are probably not easy to get cheap as they were a more expensive OFA model even when current and were a bit unique among OFA offerings. Plus Sony/Pio changed some code during the production run...I remember posting about that myself somewhere a couple years ago (probably the JP1 forum)...so the procedure isn't guaranteed to work by any means, especially with the later production models.

May be worth a shot, but IMO not so worthwhile if DVD playback is the real goal (??) and you have to buy anything else just to try unlocking it (excepting a new region-free player :)). If the OP could borrow a Kameleon from somebody local, that would be ideal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts